Texas and OU have expressed interest in joining SEC

terra

Reaction score
Not this year - that is, not in the Cotton. We will get Alabama/OSU or something like that as a semifinal.
first year in a while where we might not see either one in the playoffs. They probably still will be, but both of them are definitely weaker this year.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wouldn't shock me to see an Arkansas/UT rematch in the Cotton Bowl.
Don't think so. If both get bowl bids, it will not be to play each other again. No one cares to see a rematch but the UT fans wanting revenge and foolishly holding onto Casey Thompson would have brought victory when AR destroyed their lines and backed off on the accelerator. I really question the football acumen of people that think the UT QB cost them that game. He wasn't on the field for one play as AR amassed 330 yards rushing by committee.

AR has a really tough schedule to get through, the 3 toughest stretch in the FBS according to the experts, They will have played 6 ranked teams when this season is over and 5 are/were top 15.

UT has to deal with OU, who seem to be trying to create their own QB controversy. I am not an OU fan but those fans chanting the backup QB's name when Rattler isn't really the problem shows real ignorance.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Don't think so. If both get bowl bids, it will not be to play each other again. No one cares to see a rematch but the UT fans wanting revenge and foolishly holding onto Casey Thompson would have brought victory when AR destroyed their lines and backed off on the accelerator. I really question the football acumen of people that think the UT QB cost them that game. He wasn't on the field for one play as AR amassed 330 yards rushing by committee.

AR has a really tough schedule to get through, the 3 toughest stretch in the FBS according to the experts, They will have played 6 ranked teams when this season is over and 5 are/were top 15.

UT has to deal with OU, who seem to be trying to create their own QB controversy. I am not an OU fan but those fans chanting the backup QB's name when Rattler isn't really the problem shows real ignorance.
I'm suggesting a possible CFP 2 versus 3 match up. What fans want wouldn't matter at all.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Not this year - that is, not in the Cotton. We will get Alabama/OSU or something like that as a semifinal.
If UT goes undefeated from here and ARK loses only 1 game to ARK then I think could very well happen.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

And make no mistake the fanbase who'd love this most is actually Arkansas'
They'd have more fans at the Cotton Bowl than UT.
It would be the biggest football team to that fan base in about 30 years.

Ghost12

Reaction score
If UT goes undefeated from here and ARK loses only 1 game to ARK then I think could very well happen.
Neither of those teams is going undefeated from this point out. They're good, but just not CFP material this year.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Neither of those teams is going undefeated from this point out. They're good, but just not CFP material this year.
keep in mind I didn't predict it but said:

jterrell said:
Wouldn't shock me to see an Arkansas/UT rematch in the Cotton Bowl.

And there is zero doubt it would not shock me.
UT with Casey Thompson looks like a very good football team.

Arkansas looks very legit with the Cam Newton clone at QB and a very stingy defense.
Also note ARK can lose to Bama and STILL end up there.
Now ARK would have to beat Georgia for this to happen which seems tough as nails.
And UT has to beat OU possibly twice.

But any other losses would border on surprising those 3 games aside.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And make no mistake the fanbase who'd love this most is actually Arkansas'
They'd have more fans at the Cotton Bowl than UT.
It would be the biggest football team to that fan base in about 30 years.
If AR was to make the CFP, that would be the 3nd biggest game in their history. The Shootout, the 64 Cotton Bowl and the CFP.

I do not see it. UGA, Ole Miss, Auburn and Bama is just too tough, you couldn't get many to bet that AR would beat UT and A&M or either.

I am downright giddy that this UGA game matters and will be even giddier if the Nov 20 with Bama is for anything but I look at the talent comparisons and just do not see it.

I am just proud that the Hogs aren't a rollover because there were times you could tell they didn't want to play.

I also do not see UT getting past OU. If they do, then they're only loss to a ranked team early in the season away probably wouldn't hurt them. But they have to beat OU first.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
You think Texas is making the CFP?
UT is overrated by about 10 slots in general at any given moment.
If they go undefeated from here they will get in.

Helmet school name brand galore.

OSU has already lost 1 game to a non SEC school and Clemson has lost 2 games already.

So yes, I do think they'd get in.
No I don't think that'd necessarily mean they are top 4.
But 1 loss Oregon versus 1 loss UT and 1 loss UT gets in 8 out of 10 times imo.

UT can go 8-5 and be ranked 17th the next year....

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
If AR was to make the CFP, that would be the 3nd biggest game in their history. The Shootout, the 64 Cotton Bowl and the CFP.

I do not see it. UGA, Ole Miss, Auburn and Bama is just too tough, you couldn't get many to bet that AR would beat UT and A&M or either.

I am downright giddy that this UGA game matters and will be even giddier if the Nov 20 with Bama is for anything but I look at the talent comparisons and just do not see it.

I am just proud that the Hogs aren't a rollover because there were times you could tell they didn't want to play.

I also do not see UT getting past OU. If they do, then they're only loss to a ranked team early in the season away probably wouldn't hurt them. But they have to beat OU first.
Arkansas is certainly a johnny comer lately after so many bad seasons but that team is really good on defense and has a power offense.
They are now up to 8th overall in the country.

Georgia game is big but Ole Miss is pretty awful on defense and beatable imo. Hard to say much til they play an SEC game.

OU/UT will be interesting OU is much better on defense but the offense is no where near what it was with CeeDee and that class of OL.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Arkansas is certainly a johnny comer lately after so many bad seasons but that team is really good on defense and has a power offense.

Georgia game is big but Ole Miss is pretty awful on defense and beatable imo. Hard to say much til they play an SEC game.

OU/UT will be interesting OU is much better on defense but the offense is no where near what it was with CeeDee and that class of OL.
We'll know about Ole Miss this Saturday.

Agree about OU but I still think they're better than Texas. OU seems to have tilted a little more toward balance than being an offensive juggernaut. They look to be preparing to enter the SEC before 2024.

ghst187

Reaction score
Sold their souls for cash. OU had a routinely possible path to the playoffs but may never make them again. Texas couldn’t sniff them in the Big 12, they will fight just to stay out of the bottom in the SEC

terra

Reaction score
Sold their souls for cash. OU had a routinely possible path to the playoffs but may never make them again. Texas couldn’t sniff them in the Big 12, they will fight just to stay out of the bottom in the SEC
They would be about midway in the SEC. Just below say the top 4.

MizzouCowboy4

Reaction score

Ratter is overratted tbh.

MizzouCowboy4

Reaction score

I'm not impressed with Ou d.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not so sure, they're doing this for some cash but the real bottom line for them and their regents is recruiting. They're really been shut out by the SEC and Big 10 on a lot of 4 and 5 star D recruits and OL, except OU, because the other two are conduits to the NFL on the lines.

I think this is going to be an interesting situation for both conferences. Life for OU and UT in the SEC and life in the Big 12 without them. I think the commissioner and other AD's are not sorry to see Texas go because they've always been about themselves but OU hurts. OU has been the center of the wheel for all the spokes.

From my time in OK and having a good client as a mover and shaker within OU, they seem to hire their guy and leave him alone until he does something like Stoops did with Mixon.

UT has been notorious for messing with their HC's with their good ole boy network going back to Fred Akers. Royal kept them at bay by winning but they've got a lot of cooks in the kitchen at UT.