Texas and OU have expressed interest in joining SEC

Diehardblues

Reaction score
notice the Longhorn fans that normally make so much noise here are kind of missing in action...
They’re going to miss the dormant teams they’ve made a living on all of these years. And still haven’t dominated in recent years like they should have. They could lower their program like the Hogs have.

Hopefully the Whorns will be a middle to lower tier team in SEC. Their boosters and alumni are going to love being a smaller fish in a bigger pond. Lol Screw em!!!

Last edited:

StylisticS

Reaction score
The truth was Texas trenches didn't play all that well against Louisiana. They couldn't run all that well and Card was under constant pressure. Also if you remember the game, Texas saw lots of 3rd and longs. They converted those but you were playing Louisiana. We saw the next week against a p5 team that it didn't work.

Still Sark got crushed Saturday. I have no idea why. In the last three years, Texas played Mizzou, Georgia, and LSU. Texas beat two of them and played LSU tough. It's not like the talent on the LOS got progressively worse over those three years. Odom absolutely owned Sark Saturday night and he was humbled. But I saw this team as 8-4 or 9-3 at best. New scheme, new coaches, new philosophies. If Texas is 9-3, that is a solid season but to compete in the SEC, Texas must get better in the trenches.

Interesting how Texas is recruiting too. Out of the 7 DL recruits so far committed to Texas in 2022, four are from outside the state of Texas and three are from the Southeast. I've read on many boards that most Texas fans are now looking atjust OL and DL recruiting now. Receivers, RBs, etc will come but it means nothing when you are dominated on both sides of the ball at the line of scrimmage.

StylisticS

Reaction score
Also, I said this somewhere else but the big 12 game doesn't translate outside of conference. Sure they win a game every now and then but once they play a team with any modicum of equal talent, they lose. Iowa dominated 9th ranked Iowa State and ISU nearly lost to Northern Iowa. Texas dominated by a mid tier Arkansas team. OU gave up 35 to Tulane and could have lost that game. They aren't beating an Alabama, Georgia, or Clemson. Heck they wouldn't beat Oregon.

terra

Reaction score
Also, I said this somewhere else but the big 12 game doesn't translate outside of conference. Sure they win a game every now and then but once they play a team with any modicum of equal talent, they lose. Iowa dominated 9th ranked Iowa State and ISU nearly lost to Northern Iowa. Texas dominated by a mid tier Arkansas team. OU gave up 35 to Tulane and could have lost that game. They aren't beating an Alabama, Georgia, or Clemson. Heck they wouldn't beat Oregon.
If you cannot play D the big dogs will usually piss on your leg at will.

terra

Reaction score
The truth was Texas trenches didn't play all that well against Louisiana. They couldn't run all that well and Card was under constant pressure. Also if you remember the game, Texas saw lots of 3rd and longs. They converted those but you were playing Louisiana. We saw the next week against a p5 team that it didn't work.

Still Sark got crushed Saturday. I have no idea why. In the last three years, Texas played Mizzou, Georgia, and LSU. Texas beat two of them and played LSU tough. It's not like the talent on the LOS got progressively worse over those three years. Odom absolutely owned Sark Saturday night and he was humbled. But I saw this team as 8-4 or 9-3 at best. New scheme, new coaches, new philosophies. If Texas is 9-3, that is a solid season but to compete in the SEC, Texas must get better in the trenches.

Interesting how Texas is recruiting too. Out of the 7 DL recruits so far committed to Texas in 2022, four are from outside the state of Texas and three are from the Southeast. I've read on many boards that most Texas fans are now looking atjust OL and DL recruiting now. Receivers, RBs, etc will come but it means nothing when you are dominated on both sides of the ball at the line of scrimmage.
Notre Dame lost 4 starters and then their starting LT and right now really stink on the line. The new D coordinator is still trying to find the right combo. They were lucky to win both games.

Texas is having trouble recruiting the best players in Texas; that is a huge flashing neon sign of SERIOUS trouble.

StylisticS

Reaction score
If you cannot play D the big dogs will usually piss on your leg at will.
It's like the opposite of the early and mid 2000s in the Big 12. During those times, you had some good defenses in the conferences. It started to change in the late 2000s and it has gotten worse since.

terra

Reaction score
It's like the opposite of the early and mid 2000s in the Big 12. During those times, you had some good defenses in the conferences. It started to change in the late 2000s and it has gotten worse since.
It amazes me that NO one in that conference seems to care about D despite how poorly they do against outsiders year in and year out.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
It amazes me that NO one in that conference seems to care about D despite how poorly they do against outsiders year in and year out.
rofl... hello take from 5 years ago.
good job, good effort.

The Big 12's issue is a lack of explosive offense nowadays.
Everyone runs a 3-3-5 and 4-2-6 scheme that shuts down the spread passing game.
It's also what the Cowboys ran week 1.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
UT deserves all the shame and vitriol coming their way but this was Arkansas' Super Bowl.
The team still views UT as their arch rival.
I wouldn't get too hot or cold on UT based on this butt whipping
You change entire staffs and guys have to develop a QB plus adjust the line play.
I certainly hope UT goes winless the rest of the way out but its far more likely they recover and end up at lower rungs of the top 25.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They care, they just can't out recruit the SEC and BIG 10, which are conduits to the NFL for linemen.

Bama, and now UGA, can recruit 4 and 5 star D players without the promise of playing them early, they are willing to sit to play one year and still get picked in the 1st round.

It isn't the QB's or skill position players that get these programs up the ratings ladder, it's the DL's and Auburn, Clemson and Miss St are proof of that. The DL has become the best cherries in the recruiting class every year because there are so few of them. And Bama and UGA can stockpile them and Auburn and Clemson used to be able to do that.

If you are a 4 or 5 star DL, the NFL already knows about you and they follow you closely as your college career progresses. You do not have to make a name for yourself like all of these other kids needing more exposure.

And if certain schools recruit you, that gets you on the notice list except at certain positions. QB, RB, WR and OL at OU? Pretty hot stuff but on D? They're trying to change that by moving to the SEC, the best conference to serve as a path to the NFL in the higher rounds.

The Big 12 has been the innovative conference but the NFL doesn't like innovation. What was revealing was when the spread and zone read started to show up in the NFL, they all went to Tuscaloosa to learn how to defend it. In exchanges for his help, Saban's players go high which continues to feed the recruiting advantage. He has the perfect symbiotic relationship with the NFL. Quite a few SEC guys have that but not like him.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
They care, they just can't out recruit the SEC and BIG 10, which are conduits to the NFL for linemen.

Bama, and now UGA, can recruit 4 and 5 star D players without the promise of playing them early, they are willing to sit to play one year and still get picked in the 1st round.

It isn't the QB's or skill position players that get these programs up the ratings ladder, it's the DL's and Auburn, Clemson and Miss St are proof of that. The DL has become the best cherries in the recruiting class every year because there are so few of them. And Bama and UGA can stockpile them and Auburn and Clemson used to be able to do that.

If you are a 4 or 5 star DL, the NFL already knows about you and they follow you closely as your college career progresses. You do not have to make a name for yourself like all of these other kids needing more exposure.

And if certain schools recruit you, that gets you on the notice list except at certain positions. QB, RB, WR and OL at OU? Pretty hot stuff but on D? They're trying to change that by moving to the SEC, the best conference to serve as a path to the NFL in the higher rounds.

The Big 12 has been the innovative conference but the NFL doesn't like innovation. What was revealing was when the spread and zone read started to show up in the NFL, they all went to Tuscaloosa to learn how to defend it. In exchanges for his help, Saban's players go high which continues to feed the recruiting advantage. He has the perfect symbiotic relationship with the NFL. Quite a few SEC guys have that but not like him.
Last year 5 (out of 10 teams) of the top 20 teams in defensive efficiency were B12 teams.
https://www.espn.com/college-footba...0/sort/efficiencies.defefficiencyrank/dir/asc

This notion the B12 doesn't defend is years out of date.
Patterson and Campbell are both top 5 defensive coaches in the country.

MizzouCowboy4

Reaction score
I would like to see the weak teams kicked out of the SEC and have it consist solely of:

Texas
OU
Alabama
Auburn
LSU
Florida
Tennessee
Georgia
Mississippi State
TAMU
Arkansas

Would be Super League brutal.

Tennessee and Arkansas are not special

terra

Reaction score
Last year 5 (out of 10 teams) of the top 20 teams in defensive efficiency were B12 teams.
https://www.espn.com/college-footba...0/sort/efficiencies.defefficiencyrank/dir/asc

This notion the B12 doesn't defend is years out of date.
Patterson and Campbell are both top 5 defensive coaches in the country.
Funny how stats can lie.

I knew my post would bring the Big 12 slobberers out.

If your stats are so accurate why do the Big 12 teams THAT MATTER seem to make them lie?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Funny how stats can lie.

I knew my post would bring the Big 12 slobberers out.

If your stats are so accurate why do the Big 12 teams THAT MATTER seem to make them lie?
You are very confused old man. Perhaps it's Alzheimer's but I stated the Big 12 offenses have fallen apart and those teams now tend to be defensive. Which is wholly accurate.
Goofballs that are 5 years behind reality love to post nonsense when they have zero clue what they are talking about.

Week 3 scores:
OU 23
NEB 16

WVA 27
VaTech 21

KST 38
NEV 17

BAY 45
KAN 7

OK ST 21
Boise 20

UT 58