Texas Longhorns and who will be the next coach

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
So you really think Saban is moving? Interesting. Somehow I doubt it but it's not like I know anything.

I've done a little research on Malzahn the last week or so and he's very impressive IMO. Sort of looks like a high school accounting teacher or something, someone who is purely an Xs and Os guy, but he sounds and talks like a head coach, for what that's worth.

Still can't agree on Mack, though. Two conference championships in 14 years or whatever at the University of Texas just doesn't say excellent to me. Wouldn't break my heart if they kept him, though.

My gut suggests all the smoke on this is very real.
I think Saban becomes the highest paid football coach in history.

Malzahn may well have become a quick number 2 on the search list though.

But again UT started this Saban stuff a year ago and the recruiting of him is very likely to ramp up not down til they get their man.

I know people think Saban has it all already but I look at it like this.

Saban could win a couple more titles at Bama, tretire and become Governor of Alabama.
He could come to Texas, win a couple titles, retire, become Governor of Texas, retire and become President of the United States.

That's really the best way for me to explain the differences between the states of Alabama and Texas.

apologies in advance to my redneck distant relatives in that state... as opposed to my redneck closer relatives in this state.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
So what about the reports that Gus Malzahn has told friends that UT is his dream job? Is he good enough for Texas? o_O

Malzahn is never going to be HC at Texas IMO. His Wife is crazy and Texas has no interest in that.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
It could already be done. I listen to Pat Jones's radio show almost every day because he's one of the few who has been there and done it and still knows a TON of coaches, both college and pros. And he's heard from a person or two, like Bohls already has said, that Mack is done no matter what happens this year. You have to doubt that would be the case unless they already had someone lined up, though I guess it's possible.

And just saw ABQ's post... Malzahn's wife is crazy? Says who? I never heard anything about that.

I don't see how you find things wrong with everyone else but Mack... Have you said why you like him so much?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
It could already be done. I listen to Pat Jones's radio show almost every day because he's one of the few who has been there and done it and still knows a TON of coaches, both college and pros. And he's heard from a person or two, like Bohls already has said, that Mack is done no matter what happens this year. You have to doubt he'd already be done if they already have someone else lined up, though I guess that's possible.

And just saw ABQ's post... Malzahn's wife is crazy? Says who? I never heard anything about that.

I don't see how you find things wrong with everyone else but Mack...

Well, all I can tell you is that you haven't done enough research on Malzhan if you haven't learned of Kristie Malzahn. Do more research, he is never going to be HC at Texas because she will never be considered. He's a hell of a coach thou.

BTW, I don't find things wrong with every Coach. I just look at things objectively IMO but I guess if that's finding things wrong, so be it. I can live with that.

As for the Mack question (I assume this is to me?), Mack runs a clean program and I know that his reputation with many who are closely related to the program is still very good. Mack is a good guy and I just don't feel the need to jump on the man. I do think and have thought that Mack will be gone if he didn't win the Conference but that doesn't mean that he's a bad guy or was bad for Texas. I like Mack Brown and wish him well, whatever happens.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I see now, that video from some church in 2011. The one that people said would prevent him from every getting a decent D1 job.

Then he went to Auburn where he's absolutely loved for doing an amazing coaching job in the toughest conference in the country.

So I guess that answers my original question -- not good enough for UT.

BTW, I don't think Mack is a bad guy... But most coaches aren't bad guys.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It could already be done. I listen to Pat Jones's radio show almost every day because he's one of the few who has been there and done it and still knows a TON of coaches, both college and pros. And he's heard from a person or two, like Bohls already has said, that Mack is done no matter what happens this year. You have to doubt that would be the case unless they already had someone lined up, though I guess it's possible.

I don't see how you find things wrong with everyone else but Mack... Have you said why you like him so much?

Yes I remember seeing a video of his Wife and she sounded kind of looney.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Ha, yeah, I guess the vid has been taken down from youtube. I kind of remember something about that now that you mention it, but I guess he was more under the radar then.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Well, all I can tell you is that you haven't done enough research on Malzhan if you haven't learned of Kristie Malzahn. Do more research, he is never going to be HC at Texas because she will never be considered. He's a hell of a coach thou.

BTW, I don't find things wrong with every Coach. I just look at things objectively IMO but I guess if that's finding things wrong, so be it. I can live with that.

As for the Mack question (I assume this is to me?), Mack runs a clean program and I know that his reputation with many who are closely related to the program is still very good. Mack is a good guy and I just don't feel the need to jump on the man. I do think and have thought that Mack will be gone if he didn't win the Conference but that doesn't mean that he's a bad guy or was bad for Texas. I like Mack Brown and wish him well, whatever happens.

lots of good guys suck at coaching.
not saying this applies to mack but am saying this is a lousy reason to keep a coach.

as to malzahn i think ut would get behind him and the crazy wife pretty quickly if thats what it took to win.
btw, the crazy was really all of 1 interview conducted by a pastor.
i find her pretty hilarious and refreshingly frank tbh.
she was on a list of suggested twitter follows a while back but i passed.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Ha, yeah, I guess the vid has been taken down from youtube. I kind of remember something about that now that you mention it, but I guess he was more under the radar then.

she was hilarious... sounded like she wanted to make little cam babies and she said that most 18-22 year olds are stupid.

she made fun of a lot of big-time football people including her husband and college football fans in general. --surely not any crazy fans in the state of alabama? i mean killing people and trees is all so sensible.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
lots of good guys suck at coaching.
not saying this applies to mack but am saying this is a lousy reason to keep a coach.

as to malzahn i think ut would get behind him and the crazy wife pretty quickly if thats what it took to win.
btw, the crazy was really all of 1 interview conducted by a pastor.
i find her pretty hilarious and refreshingly frank tbh.
she was on a list of suggested twitter follows a while back but i passed.

No, Texas would not get behind that. Their image and brand, regardless of what you may think of that, is more important to them then just bringing in a good Coach. If Texas felt that way, they would have hired Mike Leach, who was an excellent Football Coach IMO. Texas just doesn't work that way IMO.

As to Kristie Malzahn, it's more then just one interview but even if it were not, that one interview would be enough for Texas.

Aggie87

Reaction score
I know people think Saban has it all already but I look at it like this.

Saban could win a couple more titles at Bama, tretire and become Governor of Alabama.
He could come to Texas, win a couple titles, retire, become Governor of Texas, retire and become President of the United States.

That's really the best way for me to explain the differences between the states of Alabama and Texas.

That makes no sense at all. What is the difference in English? He's not going to be more popular/respected nationwide than he already is, if he comes to Texas.

The only thing that might motivate Saban to come to Texas would be to try to win a national championship at a third school. Not money or anything else.

If that's the incentive, it doesn't matter *which* school it is, as long as it can be competitive at high levels (i.e. the fact that it might be Texas is irrelevant at face value). Anywhere Saban went - to a Top 25 school because I doubt he'd consider Eastern Washington State University for example - would be able to provide him the environment to do that. He's going to recruit well anywhere he goes.

And if he spends the rest of his career at Alabama and retires there, he'll be on the same caliber of pedestal as Bear Bryant. If he goes anywhere else, he won't be on that type of pedestal anywhere, he'll just be a "hired gun".

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
That makes no sense at all. What is the difference in English? He's not going to be more popular/respected nationwide than he already is, if he comes to Texas.

The only thing that might motivate Saban to come to Texas would be to try to win a national championship at a third school. Not money or anything else.

If that's the incentive, it doesn't matter *which* school it is, as long as it can be competitive at high levels (i.e. the fact that it might be Texas is irrelevant at face value). Anywhere Saban went - to a Top 25 school because I doubt he'd consider Eastern Washington State University for example - would be able to provide him the environment to do that. He's going to recruit well anywhere he goes.

And if he spends the rest of his career at Alabama and retires there, he'll be on the same caliber of pedestal as Bear Bryant. If he goes anywhere else, he won't be on that type of pedestal anywhere, he'll just be a "hired gun".

Only an Aggie would fail to understand this.
Part of a collective self-delusion meant to avert their worst nightmares where they fall off the face of the earth and UT reigns at the top of college football.

How many Presidents have been governor of Alabama? How many have been Governor of Texas?

I am a Tech fan and would be quite fine if UT kept Brown another 10 years.
It is admittedly bad for the conference to continue to have Brown flub his way through half a season every year before getting serious about winning but it does make the conference races more interesting and wide open when the team who recruits the best losses games.

As to money, tell me the last time Saban left a job that didn't pay significantly more than where he left?

You are talking about things that have zero basis in fact or reality.

UT is a top 5 job. ESPN can offer Saban things they couldn't to any coach in the SEC or B1G because they own the Longhorn network.
Getting that network more exposure and value is very important to ESPN and UT.
UT winning national titles makes that happen.

And in America when you want to hire someone you offer them more money than they can make where they are.

Leach was a top flight coach who recruited poorly and thought defense was an after thought.
He was not all that well-respected amongst his peers because he likes running up the score on folks.
He was not a native Texan (Malzahn is).

Austin Texas is the home of weird.
They'd love Kristie Malzahn there.
She'd be a friggin cult hero.

Stop confusing UT with the ultra-conservative TAMU fan base.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

This is an interesting take on Kristie Malzahn. I don't agree with it JT, I do think that Texas has too much invested on many fronts and Kristie Malzahn would be another distraction Texas really doesn't need right now but I see the angle you are presenting here, with regards to Texas.

I guess I just believe that Texas is still much more conservative then that. Interesting thought thou.

Aggie87

Reaction score
Only an Aggie would fail to understand this.
Part of a collective self-delusion meant to avert their worst nightmares where they fall off the face of the earth and UT reigns at the top of college football.

How many Presidents have been governor of Alabama? How many have been Governor of Texas?

I am a Tech fan and would be quite fine if UT kept Brown another 10 years.
It is admittedly bad for the conference to continue to have Brown flub his way through half a season every year before getting serious about winning but it does make the conference races more interesting and wide open when the team who recruits the best losses games.

As to money, tell me the last time Saban left a job that didn't pay significantly more than where he left?

You are talking about things that have zero basis in fact or reality.

UT is a top 5 job. ESPN can offer Saban things they couldn't to any coach in the SEC or B1G because they own the Longhorn network.
Getting that network more exposure and value is very important to ESPN and UT.
UT winning national titles makes that happen.

And in America when you want to hire someone you offer them more money than they can make where they are.

Leach was a top flight coach who recruited poorly and thought defense was an after thought.
He was not all that well-respected amongst his peers because he likes running up the score on folks.
He was not a native Texan (Malzahn is).

Stop confusing UT with the ultra-conservative TAMU fan base.

Thanks for snide personal comment about being an Aggie. I won't get into name calling in response. Only trying to understand what you're saying, which still doesn't mean anything. In your follow-up post it seems you're LITERALLY saying Saban could eventually become President now if he accepts the head coaching job at Texas.

How many former UT head coaches have become U.S. Presidents?

You're looking at the issue from UT's standpoint, not Nick Saban's. UT (and ESPN and it's silly Longhorn Network that is doomed to failure because it will never be anything more than a regional interest channel for one school, not national and not for a conference) is desperate to get back on the national stage and be a top 10 team again. Got it. I agree with that.

But you offer no perspective from Saban's view, other than they'll offer him alot of money. And the chance to become U.S. President. LOL.

As I said earlier, the only incentive for Saban would be to try to win a nat'l championship with a 3rd program. Other than that, there really is none. If that doesn't drive him, then he's better off staying at Alabama and being loved for all-time there.

I do agree with your points about Mack Brown in general, but that's about it.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
No, Texas would not get behind that. Their image and brand, regardless of what you may think of that, is more important to them then just bringing in a good Coach. If Texas felt that way, they would have hired Mike Leach, who was an excellent Football Coach IMO. Texas just doesn't work that way IMO.

As to Kristie Malzahn, it's more then just one interview but even if it were not, that one interview would be enough for Texas.

Leach I can see. Leach really is half crazy, plus he absolutely hated the backslapping/fundraising. Lots of schools wouldn't want Leach.

Malzahn is nothing like him. I doubt you could find one Auburn fan or administrator who believes Malzahn has hurt the school's image in any way.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Leach I can see. Leach really is half crazy, plus he absolutely hated the backslapping/fundraising. Lots of schools wouldn't want Leach.

Malzahn is nothing like him. I doubt you could find one Auburn fan or administrator who believes Malzahn has hurt the school's image in any way.

Doesn't really matter. On this, you are talking about degrees. Leach is way more but honestly, when the talk about Leach to Texas was around, none of the stuff with the Dickerson kid or anything else had really surfaced. The only thing you heard about was how he ran it up. I mean, I get what you are saying but it's really the same thing IMO. You might say that one situation was a little more over the top then they other but the short story is that they are still what I would consider unacceptable to Texas. JMO

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
This is an interesting take on Kristie Malzahn. I don't agree with it JT, I do think that Texas has too much invested on many fronts and Kristie Malzahn would be another distraction Texas really doesn't need right now but I see the angle you are presenting here, with regards to Texas.

I guess I just believe that Texas is still much more conservative then that. Interesting thought thou.

Ricky Williams was crazier than Kristie Malzahn ever could be and he loved Austin and Austin loved him.