Texas Longhorns and who will be the next coach

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Texas would be stupid to let Brown go.

Possibly. I am not as hard on Brown as many Texas fans but in this case, it may not matter. The question will be, what does the AD want? If the AD has something else in mind, then it doesn't really matter what else happens. Texas will do whatever the new AD wants to do and for all we know, the plan may have been to remove Brown all along. Hard to know what's really going on in this situation.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
No doubt the new AD clearly will determine it but if he does he better hope like hell Texas wins. For all the crud Mac takes I watched him take this program that looked like a joke and has produced consistent winning teams with 2 BSC title games winning 1 of them and out of 5 BCS bowl games has won 4. I think some Texas fans do not appreciate the job he has done and may end up regretting the day Mac is gone.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
No doubt the new AD clearly will determine it but if he does he better hope like hell Texas wins. For all the crud Mac takes I watched him take this program that looked like a joke and has produced consistent winning teams with 2 BSC title games winning 1 of them and out of 5 BCS bowl games has won 4. I think some Texas fans do not appreciate the job he has done and may end up regretting the day Mac is gone.

Many, many Texas fans do not appreciate Brown. There is no question of that.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Texas would be stupid to let Brown go.

No, they wouldn't.
While Mack should get credit for turning that program around he is not a plus on game days and the recruiting has fallen off to join the pack.
He really has no idea on offense or defense. He's churning coordinators and seems clueless as to how to use his best talent on both sides of the ball.
While Mack's success has raised expectations he hasn't met them in quite a while.
This isn't 2004 anymore.

UT is willing to make someone the highest paid Coach in college football because they make the most money in college football.
Mack isn't of that caliber.

The argument is silly anyway because UT is going to face 3 of it's next 4 opponents with records as good or better than themselves.
UT has righted the ship but it isn't nearly an elite team.
Another 4 loss year for a team with top 15 recruiting classes EVERY year is just pathetic.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
No, they wouldn't.
While Mack should get credit for turning that program around he is not a plus on game days and the recruiting has fallen off to join the pack.
He really has no idea on offense or defense. He's churning coordinators and seems clueless as to how to use his best talent on both sides of the ball.
While Mack's success has raised expectations he hasn't met them in quite a while.
This isn't 2004 anymore.

UT is willing to make someone the highest paid Coach in college football because they make the most money in college football.
Mack isn't of that caliber.

The argument is silly anyway because UT is going to face 3 of it's next 4 opponents with records as good or better than themselves.
UT has righted the ship but it isn't nearly an elite team.
Another 4 loss year for a team with top 15 recruiting classes EVERY year is just pathetic.

I disagree I think Mack is a very good HC and I think Texas fans are spoiled.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I disagree I think Mack is a very good HC and I think Texas fans are spoiled.

Lots of former UT players disagree with you.
And not just older guys like Earl Campbell but Mack's former players like Chris Simms.
Simms' take was very telling because he noted the obvious slow starts and the design of the program being not really ready to play until Texas-OU weekend.
Said after the losses to OU the team would get going.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Lots of former UT players disagree with you.
And not just older guys like Earl Campbell but Mack's former players like Chris Simms.
Simms' take was very telling because he noted the obvious slow starts and the design of the program being not really ready to play until Texas-OU weekend.
Said after the losses to OU the team would get going.

That is their view. I think Mack gave Simms every chance not Mack fault Major Applewhite played better. Sorry I'm not turing on Mack Brown how others see it that is fine. I know Mack is a damn good HC and I back him 100%

I would add these comments were after the 2-2 start, Mack bringing DC Greg Robinson back to Texas may not only save the season for the Horns but Macks job.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

Not at all and last time I checked Mack's Longhorns kicked OU's butt this season. I don't turn on quality people as some do. Mack has been very good for the Longhorn program and how others see him that is their business. I know what Texas program looked like before Mack got here so as I said if other choose to turn on him fine.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Steve Patterson - New AD "Don't Expect Major Change."

Updated: November 7, 2013, 4:35 PM ET
By Max Olson | ESPN.com

"I don't see, as I have other places where I've taken over organizations, that we need a dramatic turnaround," Patterson said. "I don't anticipate monstrous changes to the department. I think we need to keep doing what we do well and find places where we can grow and do a better job of things we can improve on."
http://espn.go.com/college-football...son-new-ad-texas-longhorns-make-major-changes

I guess we'll see.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
So what about the reports that Gus Malzahn has told friends that UT is his dream job? Is he good enough for Texas? o_O

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mack Brown may be a good Coach. He might have been a great coach at one time. However with an institution like Texas who is always has a great recruiting class, who makes more money than any other college team...he is now not good enough IMO.

This is not a situation the last few years where Texas was just one bad game away from being in, and possibly winning, a National Championship.

This is not a situation where Texas has won a good deal of their Conference Championships the last 10 Years or this year. In those years they have won 2. That is almost three times less than Oklahoma.

Texas Football team SHOULD be much better than it is. They have tried different OC and DC to change things up and still they are not winning like they should.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Exactly. I heard the Ticket guys talking about this on the radio and one of them (who seems to be more of a Texas fan?) talked about how much Mack has done there. Has he really done that much? I don't think so. Plenty of knowledgeable people say that's the best job in the country. You'd have to be totally incompetent to *not* have a decent record there.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Malzahn would be an interesting hire for sure.

I'd need to look at his recruiting track record and see what kind of staff he could assemble but good grief can he coach offense.

Top 10 classes in that offense would be downright scary.

I still think Saban is the guy though. And that sucks for the rest of us in the Big 12.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Exactly. I heard the Ticket guys talking about this on the radio and one of them (who seems to be more of a Texas fan?) talked about how much Mack has done there. Has he really done that much? I don't think so. Plenty of knowledgeable people say that's the best job in the country. You'd have to be totally incompetent to *not* have a decent record there.

Mack's overall body of work has been excellent.
But you don't pay for past performance and that excellence was largely done 4 or 5 years ago.

Recruits have a memory of about 1 or 2 seasons.
5 seasons ago UT was the hot name at the Army All-American bowl.
Now it is an also-ran type school even amongst the Texas kids.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
So you really think Saban is moving? Interesting. Somehow I doubt it but it's not like I know anything.

I've done a little research on Malzahn the last week or so and he's very impressive IMO. Sort of looks like a high school accounting teacher or something, someone who is purely an Xs and Os guy, but he sounds and talks like a head coach, for what that's worth.

Still can't agree on Mack, though. Two conference championships in 14 years or whatever at the University of Texas just doesn't say excellent to me. Wouldn't break my heart if they kept him, though.