Texas Rangers Thread

Tricericon

Reaction score
crazytown41;4179183 said:
Grats to the Rangers but I smell another defeat in the WS. Too many gas cans in that rotation.

As hot as the Rangers offense is, we saw last year that good pitching ALWAYS beats good hitting.

Yeah, just look at this year's ALCS. Oh, wait.

We're a better team than either of 'em, but baseball is a very random sport, and we are the road team... I put our chances at 50-55%.

preacher238

Reaction score
jazzcat22;4179181 said:
Sorry, but can't resist....

It is Texas related.....Rangers going back to WS....

Mavs won a NBA title, Rangers, this year for a WS title???
Stars, let's see how they do....Then we have OUR COWBOYS......let's do it....

WOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

StylisticS

Reaction score
Grats to the Rangers but I smell another defeat in the WS. Too many gas cans in that rotation.

As hot as the Rangers offense is, we saw last year that good pitching ALWAYS beats good hitting.

To be fair. We did go through two outstanding pitching staffs in Tampa Bay and Detroit. Milwaukee and St. Louis arent that Mich better than those two, if they are at all.

ryanbabs

Reaction score

Tell that to the Phillies...and the 90's Braves teams. I think our lineup is actually a lot stronger than last year's team. The Bullpen is much improved also.

GOOD LUCK!

ryanbabs

Reaction score
Fat Toad;4179189 said:
Yeah, just look at this year's ALCS. Oh, wait.

We're a better team than either of 'em, but baseball is a very random sport, and we are the road team... I put our chances at 50-55%.

That "winner of the All-Star game getting home-field advantage" has to go. The American League won like 12 in a row except for the last two seasons...:eek:

jimmy40

Reaction score
Air Force One;4179188 said:
I've been watching the Rangers since the Larry Parrish, Scotty Fletcher Pete O'Brien, Don Slaught, Pete Incaviglia Steve Buechele, Oddibe McDowell, Ruben Sierra days....it seems like I've been waiting an eternity for a WS win. Cannot put into words how bad I want this for all of us who have followed the Rangers for so, so long.
went to my first Rangers game and saw Reggie Jackson hit a home run for Baltimore. That was a long freaking time ago.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
The Giants had the best pitching staff in the majors last year. #1 in ERA and Hits. While the Cardinals and Brewers are no push overs either, their pitching is not on the same level as the Giants. Both staffs are better than the Tigers though so it will still be quite the challenge.

Air Force One

Reaction score
jimmy40;4179206 said:
went to my first Rangers game and saw Reggie Jackson hit a home run for Baltimore. That was a long freaking time ago.
Man what a great memory to have, and yes a heck of a long time ago.

crazytown41

Reaction score
ryanbabs;4179200 said:
Tell that to the Phillies...and the 90's Braves teams. I think our lineup is actually a lot stronger than last year's team. The Bullpen is much improved also.

GOOD LUCK!
Not the Phillies pitcher's fault if the offense can't muster up more than 2 runs. And the Rangers don't have any starters that can come close to what Carpenter did to the Phillies.

You can't deny Wilson, Holland, and Lewis have been gawd awful in the playoffs. Did any of them go more than 6 innings in this series?

Just don't like their chances if theyre depending on the bullpen to pitch 6 innings of no run ball every game

reddyuta

Reaction score
This is our shot to win the world series but the starters have to pitch better,a 6.59 ERA by the starters is not going to get it done.They dont have to be great,just better than what we have seen in the post season.

Alweezy

Reaction score

seriously why do people keep saying this, as if we haven't heard this a million times already.

Note, the Rangers have average starting pitching, but have a championship Bullpen. So what does that do for your theory.

Note 2: Texas beat the Cy young in this series, and defeated the Rays with relative ease. A Tampa Bay team that many touted as the best rotation in the playoffs.

Note 3: Good pitching does not = a win. You gotta have balance. See 2011 Philadelphia Phillies for example.

Please stop with the cliche's. It makes people think you're not even watching the games..

Alweezy

Reaction score
crazytown41;4179221 said:
Not the Phillies pitcher's fault if the offense can't muster up more than 2 runs. And the Rangers don't have any starters that can come close to what Carpenter did to the Phillies.

You can't deny Wilson, Holland, and Lewis have been gawd awful in the playoffs. Did any of them go more than 6 innings in this series?

Just don't like their chances if theyre depending on the bullpen to pitch 6 innings of no run ball every game

But that's the thing, they don't need to go 8 innings shut out ball. They just need to go 5 or 6. That's why we brought in Adams. That's why Ogando went back to the bullpen. This is what you play for... it's shrewd if you ask me. The three of those guys combined are as valuable as a Mo Rivera... they have even shown as much importance as a Verlander or Lee being asked to pitch an entire game to will a team to a win...

don't dismiss the bullpen, they are the difference between the 2010 Rangers, who had shaky relief and was having to depend on Darren O'Day, Mark Lowe, and Darren Oliver to get out of jams against the Giants... and now you got 3 guys who could be closers all setting each other up.. If we win the world series it won't be because we outslugged the other team, or CJ threw a complete game 1 hitter. It'll be because our bullpen shut the opposition down for 3-4 games of a series and won us close ball games that we had no business winning in years past...

crazytown41

Reaction score
Alweezy;4179227 said:
Note 3: Good pitching does not = a win. You gotta have balance. See 2011 Philadelphia Phillies for example.

Please stop with the cliche's. It makes people think you're not even watching the games..
Huh? The Phillies have a good offense. So they just had the best record in baseball because they ONLY have pitching?? They lost because Carpenter pitched the game of his life. Like I said, pitching wins championships

You'd think a Ranger fan would know that. How'd those juggernaut Ranger teams with Pudge, Greer, Juan Gone, etc. do in the playoffs?

Makes me wonder if you even followed this team before 2010 :confused::confused:

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
Tigers/Brewers/Cardinals Pitching Comparison

This is using the metric of fielding independent era (FIP). Team totals are rough estimates.

4 Best Starters

Brewers
Greinke - 2.98
Gallardo - 3.59
Marcum - 3.73
Wolf - 4.29

Team - 3.65

Cardinals
Carpenter - 3.06
Garcia - 3.23
Lohse - 3.67
Westbrook - 4.25

Team - 3.55

Tigers
Fister - 2.49
Verlander - 2.99
Porcello - 4.06
Scherzer - 4.14

Team - 3.42

3 Most Used Relievers (Non-Closer)

Brewers

Hawkins - 2.76
Loe - 2.8
Estrada - 3.67

Team - 3.08

Cardinals

Motte - 2.48
Boggs - 3.44
Jackson - 4.01

Team - 3.31

Tigers
Benoit - 2.96
Coke - 3.57
Penny - 5.02

Team - 3.85

Closer

Brewers
Axford - 2.41

Cardinals
Salas - 3.16

Tigers
Valverde - 3.55

Brewers look to be the most difficult team to mount a comeback on, but the easiest to jump to a lead against. Similar offensive production, but neither team poses as much of a threat as Detroit. Similar ability to hold runners, but again Detroit was better.

As I see it, Texas has a much better shot of winning it this year than they did last year.

Air Force One

Reaction score
cowboyeric8;4179283 said:
Just got back from the game. Congratulations Rangers and Rangers fans!
Man that must have been one heck of a game to attend! If you took any pics post them if possible. :)

cowboyeric8

Chicks dig crutches
Reaction score
Air Force One;4179284 said:
Man that must have been one heck of a game to attend! If you took any pics post them if possible. :)

Haha not any good ones sadly. Just went with an average camera in hand.

I got the interviews and such on video, can barely understand anything.

http://i69.***BLOCKED***/albums/i67/cowboyeric8/ALCS013.jpg

http://i69.***BLOCKED***/albums/i67/cowboyeric8/ALCS014.jpg
Sun setting on the Tigers

http://i69.***BLOCKED***/albums/i67/cowboyeric8/ALCS015.jpg
Hard to really see the waving towels in a photo. But gave me goosebumps in person

http://i69.***BLOCKED***/albums/i67/cowboyeric8/ALCS018.jpg
9 run inning

http://i69.***BLOCKED***/albums/i67/cowboyeric8/ALCS019.jpg

I just missed my hero Mike escaping into the dugout after his homer.

http://i69.***BLOCKED***/albums/i67/cowboyeric8/ALCS021.jpg
Can't see anything but that's Cruz crossing home

http://i69.***BLOCKED***/albums/i67/cowboyeric8/ALCS022.jpg
More Cruz

http://i69.***BLOCKED***/albums/i67/cowboyeric8/ALCS033.jpg
Me and my sister. She bought the tickets for an early Christmas present.

http://i69.***BLOCKED***/albums/i67/cowboyeric8/ALCS034.jpg
Visitors dugout after confetti

http://i69.***BLOCKED***/albums/i67/cowboyeric8/ALCS025.jpg
Hello World Series!

cowboyeric8

Chicks dig crutches
Reaction score
To those who watched the game on tv, was Joe Buck in pain for 6 innings? Haha.

Also I was listening to the radio after the game and they said both Holland and Wilson barely celebrated with the team and then left. Oh man, these two gentlemen really need to get it together. Stop feeling sorry for themselves and do something about it.

And I have crow to eat thinking Holland would have a better game.

I would still give Holland a start but with a very short leash (just in case he wants to have a good game) and put Feldman in. JMO.

Air Force One

Reaction score
cowboyeric8;4179291 said:
To those who watched the game on tv, was Joe Buck in pain for 6 innings? Haha.

Also I was listening to the radio after the game and they said both Holland and Wilson barely celebrated with the team and then left. Oh man, these two gentlemen really need to get it together. Stop feeling sorry for themselves and do something about it.

And I have crow to eat thinking Holland would have a better game.

I would still give Holland a start but with a very short leash (just in case he wants to have a good game) and put Feldman in. JMO.
Man those were great pics...the last two especially. I really loved the one with the T and the confetti. That was a sweet pic. Thanks for posting them bro!

Buck was definitely not his usual self, but he did better late after he had gotten used to the fact that we were winning the game, period.

I hadn't hear about Wilson and Holland. That is disconcerting to say the least. They need to realize the Tiger series is over and all will be forgotten if they pitch well in the WS.

Oh and I have to eat a little crow regarding Mike Young...he came up big tonight. That must have been awesome watching at the Ballpark as he and Cruz go long on the same night.

Congrats on going to the game man, I'm jealous for sure. :)