Texas Rangers

RonWashington

Reaction score
Brock Porter probably one of the prospects that would head to New York if Scherzer agrees .

RonWashington

Reaction score
Acuna the young SS is the only name I heard going to NY plus the Mets pay most of Scherzers remaining contract . If Brock Porter stays on the Texas farm that’s great .

T-RO

Reaction score
Acuna the young SS is the only name I heard going to NY plus the Mets pay most of Scherzers remaining contract . If Brock Porter stays on the Texas farm that’s great .
Rangers have given up one (quite) notable prospect and a long-shot to get two epic (though aged/flawed) pitchers. So inviting for what comes next.

T-RO

Reaction score
I've often defined baseball like this:
33% talent
33% who's hot/who's not
34% luck/umps

You can't win by having the best talent or even the best manager & talent. It's a sport of bloop singles and rocket line drives hit directly at defenders for outs.

When no one expects... some 2nd level talent can elevate, go 5 for 11 with two home runs... and pop another team's dream.

So much is a crapshoot. You can only control so much. Do like what the Rangers have done this weekend so far.

Londonboy

Reaction score
I've often defined baseball like this:
33% talent
33% who's hot/who's not
34% luck/umps

You can't win by having the best talent or even the best manager & talent. It's a sport of bloop singles and rocket line drives hit directly at defenders for outs.

When no one expects... some 2nd level talent can elevate, go 5 for 11 with two home runs... and pop another team's dream.

So much is a crapshoot. You can only control so much. Do like what the Rangers have done this weekend so far.
Billy Hatcher 1990.

T-RO

Reaction score
Billy Hatcher 1990.
Great example. And there are countless every year.

I was the beneficiary in 1988 when my Dodgers beat a far-superior Oakland A's team. If you re-play that series 10 times...the A's win 7 or 8 times. But luck and spasms of magic gave my Dodgers the victory. LA's lineup was, honestly, a complete joke that year, not even .500 caliber.

A World Series doesn't define anything about "best team of the year." It only tells us who featured the highest combination of best/luckiest/hottest.

Londonboy

Reaction score
Great example. And there are countless every year.

I was the beneficiary in 1988 when my Dodgers beat a far-superior Oakland A's team. If you re-play that series 10 times...the A's win 7 or 8 times. But luck and spasms of magic gave my Dodgers the victory. LA's lineup was, honestly, a complete joke that year, not even .500 caliber.

A World Series doesn't define anything about "best team of the year." It only tells us who featured the highest combination of best/luckiest/hottest.
I agree, those Atlanta Teams that featured Madox, Glavine, Smoltz, Chipper, Crimedog et al should have won more than 1 Title, but for some untimely moments (such as journeyman C Jim Leyritz's HR when they were 2-0 up and looking like going 3 up with the next 2 at home, or Jack Morris pitching 10 scoreless innings for Minny in game 7 of that epic 1991 WS) they would have.

Last edited:

T-RO

Reaction score

There was a lot of on-off-on-off with that trade. Clearly in the end the trade was finalized.

Scherzer is now re-united with perhaps the best pitching coach in the league, Mike Maddux. Max enjoyed two Cy Young awards with Maddux a few years ago in Washington.

Can the 39-year old still bring it? Can the Rangers pull out of their doldrums...Overcome some arrow-to-the-heart injuries? We'll see soon enough.

RonWashington

Reaction score
There was a lot of on-off-on-off with that trade. Clearly in the end the trade was finalized.

Scherzer is now re-united with perhaps the best pitching coach in the league, Mike Maddux. Max enjoyed two Cy Young awards with Maddux a few years ago in Washington.

Can the 39-year old still bring it? Can the Rangers pull out of their doldrums...Overcome some arrow-to-the-heart injuries? We'll see soon enough.

Montgomery helps as well , especially given Eovaldi missing . Who’s off man out , Heaney ? There not paying Perez 18 mill to sit in the bullpen .

T-RO

Reaction score
Montgomery helps as well , especially given Eovaldi missing . Who’s off man out , Heaney ? There not paying Perez 18 mill to sit in the bullpen .

I think Perez is the odd man out. Can't chase sunk-cost fallacy.

RonWashington

Reaction score
Just what the doctor ordered . Back to back 6 innings by Scherzer & Montgomery , kept the score down let the offense take over . Nice .

RonWashington

Reaction score
Tough break for Josh Jung . Rangers have found themselves a nice corner infielder hopefully he’s back for the playoffs . Duran covers it until then .

RonWashington

Reaction score
Happy for Bochy going back to a place he won three WS . And how about Jon Gray 7 innings of shutout pitching . With the Astros playing the dead on arrival Angels the Rangers need to keep up the pitching .

RonWashington

Reaction score
Well 2 of 3 was nice in Bochy homecoming but should have been a sweep . I’m uneasy with Will Smith as the guy who “ closes “ out playoff wins .

Gabe Kapler dragging the pitching coach with him to talk to the pitcher is comical . Never seen that before .

Last but not least absolutely hate this idiotic extra inning rule where you GIVE a team a runner on second to start the inning . Smacks of little league WS rules not MLB worthy .