Texas Stadium send off - I don't rant often but here goes...

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
bbgun;2513696 said:
Sorry, but that has nothing to do with the numerous December slumps in recent years, the bone-headed penalties, the self-inflicted mistakes, the shoddy tackling, the atrocious special teams, the lack of a viable backup QB on the roster, poor gameplanning, players not lining up correctly, players not knowing their assignments, and a GM who moonlights as a pizza commercial actor. Instead of swooning at the feet of the oh-so-powerful Ravens, I suggest you hold some real live Dallas Cowboys accountable. For a change.

That pretty much sums it up.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
5Countem5;2513579 said:
You are absolutely right.

All these fans will be back on board. No amount of rationality will have an effect today.

The thing is, the OP is disappointed in the way Jerry handled this historic closing by pretty much whisking so much history away. With all the glitz and glam surrounding this team during the week that's how he projected all of that history? I've seen more hype for our training camp this year.

Jerry made sure his SB moments were most glorified and the players that were incorporated during that span were also. He totally downplayed everything because the only thing he wants us, the fans, to focus on his his new revenue generating project, the new stadium and this current team.

The OP is right and is doing more than justifiably "ranting". She is informing us of this teams insensitive ownership. Those historic players and Coach Landry deserved more for their efforts in that presentation and game from Jerry and our current players. Witten represented honorably, others like Choice, Ware, Ratliff and Newman where the only players that seemed to realize this games importance and expressed the mantra regarding so.

Jerry can't wait for his new stadium during this economic downturn. He could give a rats you know what about the efforts put forth before he got here. Was just another game to this team because it was just another game to the guy who signs their pay checks. Disgraceful!

STSINAZ

Reaction score
CowboyPrincess;2513481 said:
Not only did the team let us down last night, but so did Jerry Jones. I don't give a rats butt about how rich the franchise is this morning. The boys looked like a pop warner team last night. They were slow, uninspired, and weak.

I'm more angry with Jerry Jones and sorry trick but I'm back to hating him.

Yes the Cowboys had their problems before Jerry bought the team, but nothing compared to what they have now. Instead of finding a REAL head coach, he has brought in experimental models with no real solid time in the drivers seat (other than Parcells). He has turned our beloved Cowboys into a joke in the NFL. For crying out loud, they call our coach "Coach Cupcake".

There was a time when meeting with the Cowboys struck fear into the hearts of other teams. They were big, mean, inspired and warriors. Last night when the Ravens arrived, they were the inspired warriors and they diss'd the stadium on the sidelines to the fans cuz they knew the Cowboys players didn't have the strength or power to stop them.

There was a lot of things wrong last night. The offensive line forgot to show up. Tony Romo forgot we wore White, not purple. The coaching staff was a no show also. The only players I saw out on the field last night that showed the Cowboys pride was Choice and WItten. They both played their hearts out and Witten played visibly injured which reminded me of players in the past who played through the pain.... They didn't shut down for pinkys, bruises or colds like they do now.

Now on to what really upset me last night... The stadium send off...

Jerry Jones had an entire season and then some to send the stadium off into retirement in style and he failed miserably. The sound system sucked really bad and I could hardly hear Roger talk about the Calvin Hill play. There was 40 yrs of history made in that stadium and he chose Emmitt Smith breaking the record as the most memorable? I love Emmitt, but he wasn't the best thing to hit the stadium. And a recent single player shouldn't have been the most memorable moment, it should have been a "TEAM" moment. And Tom Landry was totally disrespected. 29 yrs as head coach and moral leader of the team and all he got was a few picture splashes on the screen??? Screw you Jerry for that one! There was 30 yrs of history before Jones showed up and he glanced over it. Granted we didn't see everything over the TV (thanks to NFL network contantly cutting in) and this game and ceremony should have been on a network station so all of the Cowboys fans out there could see it, but from what I saw, the ceremony was as inspired as the team and game last night.

When I saw the game where Tex Schramm was put into the Ring of Honor, the past ROH members were taken around the field in style... motorized. Last night their final lap around the field was cluttered and on foot. And while I"m at it.. Where was Dandy Don? Even the turning off of the lights was lame and unnoticed. That was the worst stadium closing that I ever saw. Apparently the inspiration problem starts with Jones.

I honestly expected to see big names standing in groups on the field of play, being highlighted and their famous stadium action shown. Not them standing on a little stage crammed together and trying to say a few words on a non existent sound system..

Ok.. I know I'm ranting too much, but hey, I've been a Cowboys fan for 44 yrs and as a lifelong fan, deserved to see something so much better last night... I expected and deserved a night of history.. I was really looking forward to the ceremony cuz our beloved team and stadium had so much of it... and as a fan was let down horribly.

/rant

Jerry doesn't care about our tradition

djmajestik

Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80;2513563 said:
Amen, it's one thing to lose but it's another thing to lose in the last game at such a historic stadium....

AMEN! Couldn't agree more. This team AKA LET DOWN basically ended Texas Stadium like they've played all year. As a let down.

Silverstar

Reaction score
Well, the Cowboys can still host a playoff game as the 5th seed, if they play against the 6th seed in the NFCCG.

It ain't over...til it's over.

;)

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sometimes I wonder if Jerry Jones really knows the history of the team before he bought it. He certainly has had time to learn, but has he?

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
the audio was good in the stadium. Was it really bad on TV?

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Ten minutes into the game, it occurred to me that my HD tuner might be able to pick up the Baltimore station 50 miles away. Came in clear as a bell. As for the rest of the game ...

poke

the older I get the better I was
Reaction score
each person will have their own opinion, i was at the game and i thought
the send off was very well done.
from the opening song of "my heroes have always been cowboys", thru
garth brooks "the dance"......with the video clip of Dandy Don singing those
famous words......."turn out the lights...".
i even liked Emmit's run being chosen but i am probably biased since i was
at that game.
the banners coming down was okay....emmit's was right close to us.
when they turned out the lights there was a good...ahhhhh.....from the crowd seeing the larry coles, jethro pughs and pat toomays and the other too many to name old players had me on my feet throughout.
i was actually suprised at how well i could hear roger and emmit speak because the sound system at TS is horrible.
i was so upset at how that game played out i am actually amazed at
how much i enjoyed the send off because i was not in a good mood.
so like i said everybody will have their own opinion of it....being there i thought it came off respectful and did a good job honoring the past.

this is just MY OPINION and begrudge nobody their own opposing thoughts.

i specifically thought about the OP when i took this picture and post it here
for her...this was Novacek and Larry Brown after they had done their on field interview during a time out, which i dont know if ya'll saw at home or not. they did this throughout the whole game and i got to see a LOT of the old players again which i loved.

http://i14.***BLOCKED***/albums/a319/railzrantz/DSC04367.jpg

i took a lot of pictures...not many came out great, there was a guy waving a large flag between me and the field and i have several pictures of IT !!! aagghhhhhh !!

CowboyPrincess

Priceless
Reaction score
poke;2515589 said:
i specifically thought about the OP when i took this picture and post it here
for her...this was Novacek and Larry Brown after they had done their on field interview during a time out, which i dont know if ya'll saw at home or not. they did this throughout the whole game and i got to see a LOT of the old players again which i loved.

http://i14.***BLOCKED***/albums/a319/railzrantz/DSC04367.jpg

i took a lot of pictures...not many came out great, there was a guy waving a large flag between me and the field and i have several pictures of IT !!! aagghhhhhh !!

Awww.. a pic of my baby Jay...

Wish I was that can of skoal :)

I LOVE YOU

What you saw is what I wish we saw and from the tv it looked like crap.. including the cramped stage and the audio was almost non existent

cowboys4life

Reaction score
theebs;2515270 said:
the audio was good in the stadium. Was it really bad on TV?

It was horrible...On 33 they were showing the ceremony but in the background you could hear the pc's and then when they went to them speaking on the stage it was a real bad buzzzzzzz

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
People still trying to blame Jerry Jones for the failures of the Cowboys.

For the past few years, Jerry Jones has given Bill Parcells and Wade Phillips everything they needed to win.

Brutha Jerry can't do it all.

CowboyPrincess

Priceless
Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2515704 said:
People still trying to blame Jerry Jones for the failures of the Cowboys.

For the past few years, Jerry Jones has given Bill Parcells and Wade Phillips everything they needed to win.

Brutha Jerry can't do it all.

He's given them everything but full power of being the HC. He has always had his hand in the cookie jar. And it doesn't matter how many times it gets slapped, he just keeps putting it back in there.

Plus he can't give a coach a backbone when he isn't going to back up the HC's decision or opinion and decides that HIS opinion is all that matters. And I don't wanna hear how he owns the team and can do that. Other owners stay in the background and have a GM and HC that run the show on the field. Yes he has made the Cowboys the biggest selling football memorabilia club, but he needs to leave the team to those that he pays to do it. He hired them because he thinks they have the wisdom and ability to get wins so why is he in the way all the time

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
CowboyPrincess;2515805 said:
He's given them everything but full power of being the HC. He has always had his hand in the cookie jar. And it doesn't matter how many times it gets slapped, he just keeps putting it back in there.

Plus he can't give a coach a backbone when he isn't going to back up the HC's decision or opinion and decides that HIS opinion is all that matters. And I don't wanna hear how he owns the team and can do that. Other owners stay in the background and have a GM and HC that run the show on the field. Yes he has made the Cowboys the biggest selling football memorabilia club, but he needs to leave the team to those that he pays to do it. He hired them because he thinks they have the wisdom and ability to get wins so why is he in the way all the time

I don't know why people don't see this. I really don't.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
CowboyPrincess;2515805 said:

I don't think anyone can say that Bill Parcells didn't have a ton of control while he was here in Dallas. From what I understand, the only major disagreement was probably with Terrell Owens and depending upon where you stand, that was a great move or a horrible one.

Also, the defense started playing pretty good when Wade Phillips took over the defensive playcalling. Is it Jerry Jones' fault that Wade Phillips waited until we were in crisis mode to unofficially demote Brian Stewart?

This team sent 13 players to the Pro Bowl last year and they went 13-3. Wade Phillips has all the tools at his disposal to make a Championship Run. Jerry Jones can't make Flozell Adams stop jumping off sides, force Tony Romo to stop making silly turnovers and fix the banal and hackneyed Offensive Playcalling.

Now if you want to talk about Jason Garrett, that is definately something to blame Jerry Jones for.

CowboyPrincess

Priceless
Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2515856 said:
I don't think anyone can say that Bill Parcells didn't have a ton of control while he was here in Dallas. From what I understand, the only major disagreement was probably with Terrell Owens and depending upon where you stand, that was a great move or a horrible one.

Also, the defense started playing pretty good when Wade Phillips took over the defensive playcalling. Is it Jerry Jones' fault that Wade Phillips waited until we were in crisis mode to unofficially demote Brian Stewart?

This team sent 13 players to the Pro Bowl last year and they went 13-3. Wade Phillips has all the tools at his disposal to make a Championship Run. Jerry Jones can't make Flozell Adams stop jumping off sides, force Tony Romo to stop making silly turnovers and fix the banal and hackneyed Offensive Playcalling.

Now if you want to talk about Jason Garrett, that is definately something to blame Jerry Jones for.

You talk about bashing Jerry is a bad thing when he is butting into the HC's job, but bashing Garrett wouldn't be a bad thing... You talk about how the team went 13-3 and had 13 pro bowlers last year.. 1) That was last year and this is this year. 2) Garrett had a part of that success and most everyone here nearly had a heart attack when they thought he was leaving to be a HC elsewhere and now they want him gone.

Every team has a bad year and as bad as ours is, it doesn't compare some others that won't even see 6-10. I honestly believe that our biggest problem on the team right now is Jerry Jones. The team is a mess both on and off the field and a lot of that is due to the lack of discipline and direction. Jones has the teams heads whipping back and forth listening to the coaching staff on one side and him on the other. He's feeding ego's and ignoring other talent on the team for the sake of those egos.

THis isn't going to get better until Jerry decides if he wants to be the owner, GM or HC. Once the office is straightened out and the leadership is determined, the team will fall in line.

5Countem5

Benched
Reaction score
CowboyPrincess;2516175 said:
You talk about bashing Jerry is a bad thing when he is butting into the HC's job, but bashing Garrett wouldn't be a bad thing... You talk about how the team went 13-3 and had 13 pro bowlers last year.. 1) That was last year and this is this year. 2) Garrett had a part of that success and most everyone here nearly had a heart attack when they thought he was leaving to be a HC elsewhere and now they want him gone.

Every team has a bad year and as bad as ours is, it doesn't compare some others that won't even see 6-10. I honestly believe that our biggest problem on the team right now is Jerry Jones. The team is a mess both on and off the field and a lot of that is due to the lack of discipline and direction. Jones has the teams heads whipping back and forth listening to the coaching staff on one side and him on the other. He's feeding ego's and ignoring other talent on the team for the sake of those egos.

THis isn't going to get better until Jerry decides if he wants to be the owner, GM or HC. Once the office is straightened out and the leadership is determined, the team will fall in line.

You hate Jerry, we get it...

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Last year was Wade Phillips' first year as Head Coach, so last year is very relevant when we want to talk about the failures of our current team.

I just don't see how the loss against Pittsburgh and Baltimore indicts Jerry Jones. Those losses do more to indict Jason Garrett and Wade Phillips more than anything else.

As far as Jerry Jones getting in the way of the Coaching Staff, like I stated in another thread, if players indeed have that mythical "red phone" to call Jerry Jones and completely ignore the Coaching Staff, that is a problem. At this point, that is pure speculation and I am not sure how much truth is in it.