Texas strong or weak?

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
Horns looked slow and inept against a very solid ND team. They didn't look ready to play, and that's a coaching issue. It's true that they're young, still learning a new offense, and it's only the first game, but the defense should have at least a few bright spots besides Jefferson.

You would expect Strong to have a 3 year leash, but that may be cut short if this kind of poor performance continues.

While I agree with the move to a spread type offense, I'm not sure the right coach is in place for that. They should have been able to create some mismatches and defensive confusion, and some of the blame should also fall on the slow-thinking QB.
Heard should be a bit better, and they should give him his shot next week.

The embarrassment could get worse against the likes of TCU, Baylor, and OU. Strong had better have his team playing that way, or his job security will be extremely weak.

StylisticS

Reaction score
He can start by changing offensive coordinators and start being more active in offensive game plans. Outscored 117-20 in the last three games? If he doesn't change the OC's, he will be as good as gone.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Strong is a good coach BUT I don't know if he is the right guy to get that program going, given what it desperately needs. The Big XII is all about offense and Texas has lacked in that department for 6 years. You can try bringing in new coordinators all you want but it may take an offensive-minded coach who knows how to reinvent the wheel, a la what Briles has done for Baylor and Sumlin for A&M.

I know there is the excuse of Mack not leaving Strong much to work with but it's not like Strong is inheriting a 1-win team. Chad Morris took over an SMU team that won 1 game last year and yet they looked just as competitive (if not more) vs. Baylor. You would think that the talent gap between SMU and Baylor is not the same level as Texas and Notre Dame.

Yes, it will probably take a few more recruiting classes for Strong to see much of an impact but what if they lose out on a lot of those recruits? Will Strong be able to take 3-star kids on offense and get the most out of them to where they can develop into 5-star talent like what Briles can do with his offense?

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
it all starts with QB. Texas hasn't had one since Colt. No QB means no consistent and fluid offense. This means a lot of 3 and outs, turnovers, and just poor play. In turn, the defense is overworked and overburdened.

Besides the QB position, the other area that has lacked over the last several years is a quality OL. The QBs have little time to throw, the running lanes are sparse.......just bad, bad football as a result.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
He can start by changing offensive coordinators and start being more active in offensive game plans. Outscored 117-20 in the last three games? If he doesn't change the OC's, he will be as good as gone.

Red McCombs went on record early, saying he thought Strong would make a good DC.

If he's actually that one-sided, then Wickline and the O staff had better be solid. Problem is, Wickline has almost no experience in the spread passing attack, except as it applies to pass protection. He's probably out of his element somewhat, but he essentially had to be named the OC in order for him to get out of his contract with OSU (which is still in dispute).
So, the responsibility has fallen to QB/passing coach Shawn Watson, whose experience is lacking in the Spread.

Looks like they need to get a modern passing guru, much like TCU did with Sonny Cumbie.

Supercowboy1986

Reaction score
strong has been underwhelming but he also has had swoopes as a QB and he can barely throw a pass. hard to score with a QB like that

Bonecrusher#31

Reaction score
Give Strong some time, its going to take a bit of time to eradicate the sense entitlement that permeates with that football program...

But for now performances like the one in South Bend will bring much joy to my Saturday NCAA football viewing.:grin:

reddyuta

Reaction score
frankly these guys are an embarrassment to Texas especially with Baylor and TCU doing so well.I admire Strong's desire to teach discipline to his players but at some point he has to actually teach them FOOTBALL.

jimmy40

Reaction score
The University of Texas hasn't had an olineman drafted since 2008. Thanks Mack.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
strong has been underwhelming but he also has had swoopes as a QB and he can barely throw a pass. hard to score with a QB like that

As much as I like Strong as a person, the staff's choice at QB - his competence and readiness - was a mistake that should have been corrected in the second half.

The OL is still a weakness, so the QB needs to be mobile. The offensive game plan without Heard seemed doomed to failure.

That was the second worse opening loss in UT history.

Plankton

Reaction score
They were weak in the trenches on both sides of the ball. Notre Dame's offensive line is as good and as deep as any in the country, so seeing them push the Texas DL around wasn't a surprise, but to see what is a pretty average ND defensive line absolutely abuse the Texas OL was not a good sign. If Notre Dame tackled and finished well enough, they could have had 10 sacks.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think Strong has done lousy job at Texas. Unless things change pretty quick I would fire him. Right now Texas looks like a joke. As a Longhorns fan I hate to say that but this entire team despite top recruits looks bad

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
What I think we saw in the Texas/ND game is one team with a good QB prospect and one of the best OL Lines I've seen (outside of Wisconisn), in a very long time. ND is clearly better at this point but, it will take time. The Texas Offense looked much better, IMO, with Heard under center. Problem was he didn't get a lot of time with the injury so early in the game. From what I saw of ND, they are going to be one of the top teams in the Country this year. Hard to say how good their DL is this year because Texas is very young along the OL but the ND OL, that is a solid group. They were dominant and it wasn't just better talent. They were technically very, very good as well.

Fritsch_the_cat

Reaction score
Well, with Strong's past as a DC, I expected more from the defense, but with a three and out offense I suppose it was luck that kept the score reasonably low.

Swoops is obviously in over his head, the guy isn't even a good runner. If he's the best they have at QB, it's going to be ugly for several years to come, at least. I initially like the Strong hire, but I'm wondering in he's in over his head as well.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
Well, with Strong's past as a DC, I expected more from the defense, but with a three and out offense I suppose it was luck that kept the score reasonably low.

Swoops is obviously in over his head, the guy isn't even a good runner. If he's the best they have at QB, it's going to be ugly for several years to come, at least. I initially like the Strong hire, but I'm wondering in he's in over his head as well.

Reports from last night confirm that Strong has essentially demoted watson to QB coach, and elevated Norvell to play calling and WR's.

Strong said what we've been saying -- that the team wasn't ready to play, and that they need to coach better.

Watson was the OC through the Louisville days, since 2011, and has always called plays. His expertise, however, has been with the WCO.
Apparently, Norvell is a better choice for the Spread.

Better late than never, and we'll have to see how this goes, but shouldn't this have gotten sorted out by the end of spring ball?
I'm not optimistic.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
Remember, Norvell was fired as OC at OU last year, due to offensive shortcomings that may have been more attributable to his co-coordinator, Josh Heupel.
He was brought on board at UT earlier this year for his knowledge of Spread offense dynamics.
He had been at OU since 2008, Was OC at UCLA in '07, and OC at Nebraska in 2004-06.
Interesting that he played DB and LB at Iowa, was a LB for Chicago in '87, but he has coached on the offensive side for his entire career.