News: TF: Cowboys offer to Zeke approaches Gurley deal with a catch

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
https://1053thefan.radio.com/articl...-offer-ezekiel-elliott-approaches-gurley-deal

Source: Dallas Cowboys Offer To Ezekiel Elliott Approaches Gurley Deal, With A Catch
KRLDFM_Header_Large_Logo.png

105.3 THE FAN
AUGUST 27, 2019 - 6:48 AM
USATSI_11840086_168384908_lowres.jpg

By Mike Fisher and Jonathon Shipman

FRISCO (105.3 THE FAN) - Holdout running back Ezekiel Elliott is in receipt of a new contract extension offer from the Dallas Cowboys that a source close to the negotiations tells us would put his new annual salary "close to the Todd Gurley range."

Related: Read more Ezekiel Elliott news from The Fan

The Cowboys as of a month ago were willing to pay Elliott more than the Jets’ Le’Veon Bell ($13 mil APY) but less than the Rams’ Gurley ($14 mil APY).

How significant is the movement from Dallas? That is in the eye of the beholder. Amid breathless reports that Elliott has “turned down the offer(s) ... well, that’s self-evident, as otherwise he’d be in
Frisco with a pen in his hand and a helmet at the ready. Meanwhile, Cowboys COO Stephen Jones is on-record as telling 105.3 The Fan that Dallas has been “very generous” in talks.

IndianaCowboys1994

Reaction score
https://1053thefan.radio.com/articl...-offer-ezekiel-elliott-approaches-gurley-deal

Source: Dallas Cowboys Offer To Ezekiel Elliott Approaches Gurley Deal, With A Catch

105.3 THE FAN

FRISCO (105.3 THE FAN) - Holdout running back Ezekiel Elliott is in receipt of a new contract extension offer from the Dallas Cowboys that a source close to the negotiations tells us would put his new annual salary "close to the Todd Gurley range."

The Cowboys as of a month ago were willing to pay Elliott more than the Jets’ Le’Veon Bell ($13 mil APY) but less than the Rams’ Gurley ($14 mil APY).

How significant is the movement from Dallas? That is in the eye of the beholder. Amid breathless reports that Elliott has “turned down the offer(s) ... well, that’s self-evident, as otherwise he’d be in
Frisco with a pen in his hand and a helmet at the ready. Meanwhile, Cowboys COO Stephen Jones is on-record as telling 105.3 The Fan that Dallas has been “very generous” in talks.
I think Zeke is big on the guaranteed money. I feel he wants just as much as Gurley in that regards. I remember his mom tweeted something out about guaranteed money. We shall see. Clock is ticking for sure. I think something gets done by the weekend.

aria

Reaction score
Nothing we didn’t already know. The ego maniac wants to be paid the highest in every aspect or it’s not good enough. Having a great O line is biting the Cowboys in the butt. If Zeke wasn’t so spoiled with O lines his entire career he wouldn’t even have the stats to be demanding these contracts.

Please trade him to Miami so we can see how good he really is without a top 5-10 line in front of him. I hope he chokes on a big piece of humble pie, not that he would actually touch a piece of pie with a word in it that’s foreign to him.

Sydla

Reaction score
The AAV doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. It's the guaranteed money that matters. I suspect the Cowboys probably are OK approaching Gurley in AAV but don't want to sniff the guarantees of $45MM that Gurley got.

I worry Jerry is going to cave and screw up our cap doing something stupid like giving a TB $50MM guaranteed.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Zeke is big on the guaranteed money. I feel he wants just as much as Gurley in that regards. I remember his mom tweeted something out about guaranteed money. We shall see. Clock is ticking for sure. I think something gets done by the weekend.

I expected that the issue of guaranteed money would be the major sticking point. It usually is with most contracts anyway, but I think that there are two points that make it an even bigger factor at work in these negotiations:
  1. The Todd Gurley messed up the market. And it has proven to be a mistake for the Rams as they are now stuck with a running back with a balky knee because of that guaranteed money. They would get out of the deal I fully they could, but they can't. They are the cautionary tale for the rest of the league.
  2. Elliott's own history should make anyone cautious in guaranteeing him anything. Let's face it, he can't guarantee that he can stay out of trouble and not miss games. So why should anyone guarantee him anything for that potential unknown? In short, they shouldn't. His own actions and choices created this dynamic, and he should be the one that suffers as a result, not anyone else.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nothing we didn’t already know. The ego maniac wants to be paid the highest in every aspect or it’s not good enough. Having a great O line is biting the Cowboys in the butt. If Zeke wasn’t so spoiled with O lines his entire career he wouldn’t even have the stats to be demanding these contracts.

Please trade him to Miami so we can see how good he really is without a top 5-10 line in front of him. I hope he chokes on a big piece of humble pie, not that he would actually touch a piece of pie with a word in it that’s foreign to him.

You couldn't get another team to take him at this point. For better or worse, he and the Cowboys are stuck with one another. I just wish the Cowboys realized that more and simply tell him that he can sit and effectively retire.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I expected that the issue of guaranteed money would be the major sticking point. It usually is with most contracts anyway, but I think that there are two points that make it an even bigger factor at work in these negotiations:
  1. The Todd Gurley messed up the market. And it has proven to be a mistake for the Rams as they are now stuck with a running back with a balky knee because of that guaranteed money. They would get out of the deal I fully they could, but they can't. They are the cautionary tale for the rest of the league.
  2. Elliott's own history should make anyone cautious in guaranteeing him anything. Let's face it, he can't guarantee that he can stay out of trouble and not miss games. So why should anyone guarantee him anything for that potential unknown? In short, they shouldn't. His own actions and choices created this dynamic, and he should be the one that suffers as a result, not anyone else.

Stupid Rams ruined the RB market for everyone.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

105.3 THE FAN

For reference:

Gurley's contract effectively: 3 years, 40M guaranteed.

Bell's contract effectively: 2 years, 28M guaranteed.

All they have to do is put in a clause that the guarantees go away if he gets into any more trouble because it's guaranteed to happen.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Rams could have moved on from Gurley after 1 year and his contract would have ended up being 1 year, 21M.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
You couldn't get another team to take him at this point. For better or worse, he and the Cowboys are stuck with one another. I just wish the Cowboys realized that more and simply tell him that he can sit and effectively retire.

To say Zeke has no trade value is bold......I disagree 100%. His resume speaks for itself IMO.

morasp

Reaction score
I thought the argument made sense that the Bell deal after the Gurley deal reset the market. It should also show that teams aren't all that anxious to pay top dollar to problematic players that don't honor existing contracts even if they are that good.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To say Zeke has no trade value is bold......I disagree 100%. His resume speaks for itself IMO.

So does his off the field track record. And the fact that he wants to be the league's highest paid running back. And what it would cost a team to trade for him.

Add it all up, nobody would touch the guy. Make sure to let me know if he's ever traded. I'm not the least bit worried that it will ever happen.

Both parties are stuck with one another, for better or worse.

erod

Reaction score
For reference:

Gurley's contract effectively: 3 years, 40M guaranteed.

Bell's contract effectively: 2 years, 28M guaranteed.

All they have to do is put in a clause that the guarantees go away if he gets into any more trouble because it's guaranteed to happen.
They probably have, and he probably won't accept that.

Zeke knows himself better than anyone.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Therein lies the sword of Damocles for Zeke. If that kind of clause is at stake, will he blink?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Therein lies the sword of Damocles for Zeke. If that kind of clause is at stake, will he blink?

I just hope that the Cowboys don't.

While I understand that having Elliott gives what they consider a championship contender it's best chance to win it all this year, they need to be careful not to get reckless with a contract for it.

Instead of bending to this one player, they should be doing everything they can to protect themselves, and turning up the heat on that one player.

Alfred Morris is in no way any sort of an adequate replacement for Elliott. Not by himself, not in a committee. The guy just isn't special and is a high volume running back who needs a huge amount of carries to put up numbers. The team should be trying to do better to stock up a committee group to collectively give them their running game production.

Elliott is a great player, but he's not indispensable. The offensive line is the engine that makes this run game go.

Sydla

Reaction score

His resume doesn't matter as much as you think. Why?

Because the majority of the league seems to take the position that the RB position is a fungible position. In other words, the number of teams that would be willing to trade picks AND THEN sign him to a $45MM+ guaranteed contract is a very small number.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
His resume doesn't matter as much as you think. Why?

Because the majority of the league seems to take the position that the RB position is a fungible position. In other words, the number of teams that would be willing to trade picks AND THEN sign him to a $45MM+ guaranteed contract is a very small number.

To say nothing of then having to worry every night about his off field behavior.

It's not a knock on Elliott's ability, it's simply the reality of his situation.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
So does his off the field track record. And the fact that he wants to be the league's highest paid running back. And what it would cost a team to trade for him.

Add it all up, nobody would touch the guy. Make sure to let me know if he's ever traded. I'm not the least bit worried that it will ever happen.

Both parties are stuck with one another, for better or worse.

Cowboys are close to making him the highest-paid RB, so I don't see that as much of an issue and like Walker just stated, a simple clause killing any guaranteed money if he gets into trouble takes care of the off-field issue. It's like one former GM once said, top players at their position always have value. Just a matter of how much.......

I do agree we are probably better off with each other but to say we're stuck together, I don't see that at all.