News: TF: Cowboys offer to Zeke approaches Gurley deal with a catch

JustChip

Reaction score
Stupid Rams ruined the RB market for everyone.
Rams were pulling out the stops to win the market vs. the Chargers and sell their new stadium. They’re a case-study in the rewards (getting to the SB) of “the future is now” mantra, but not insignificantly, the perils, too.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Nothing we didn’t already know. The ego maniac wants to be paid the highest in every aspect or it’s not good enough. Having a great O line is biting the Cowboys in the butt. If Zeke wasn’t so spoiled with O lines his entire career he wouldn’t even have the stats to be demanding these contracts.

Please trade him to Miami so we can see how good he really is without a top 5-10 line in front of him. I hope he chokes on a big piece of humble pie, not that he would actually touch a piece of pie with a word in it that’s foreign to him.

oh and I guess AAron Donald, and our Guys like Dak and Amari wanting more then top 5 money are NOT egomaniacs.. seriously the man has right to maximize his income and you my friend, none of your business.

its a business this happens on regular basis all over all PRO leagues and Dak and Amari are worse because they are outside the top 0 at their positions turning down top 5 money, serious EGO issues and a blurred vision of who they are..

Zeke lives in the real world you can argue for days on whos the best Gurley, Barkley, Bell or Zeke , if he feels hes 1, he has an argument, thats not an ego.

lets not forget Stephen JOnes comments in Spring, "Zeke is worth Gurley money, thats where it starts"..

whos fault is this? The rams paid Gurley after YR3 Zeke is having to fight for it.. whose the issue..Its the Fo big mouth's and med to publicly speak on promises and worth pump up their superstars as the best then try and underpay them..then pubically rip him and say Zeke who, they have fueled this fire and im on Zekes side.. lets not get it twisted Dak and Amari while present are playing EGO hardball.. they arent worth anywhere near what they are askig and Zeke is, Proof the offers the Fo have already made is inching close to what zekes demanding.. if Zeke had no leverage and no basis to do this, no offers at all would have been made.

Zekes not first and wont be last to do this, SB will hold out after yr 3 if he doesnt have new deal, get used to it Elite RBs have had enough and are changing the way they are handled..

NFL players have short careers not just RBs thats bad I mean the worse argument ever give Zekes not missing games do to injury and lets See I know 6 highly paid QBs that have and another 6 that didnt make the playoffs..right hes RB dont pay him..AP, Frank Gore, and other RBs still laying in the s league and contributing..

GMO415

Reaction score
Enough. Are they going to report every time this deal is adjusted by $5k?

EzE is being a diva at this point.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
His resume doesn't matter as much as you think. Why?

Because the majority of the league seems to take the position that the RB position is a fungible position. In other words, the number of teams that would be willing to trade picks AND THEN sign him to a $45MM+ guaranteed contract is a very small number.

It only takes one.....remember the original post suggested he had NO trade value. We can debate this over 2000 post and I'll never believe it as an opinion.

sean10mm

Reaction score

It really is this. They gave a talented but gimpy player a giant, market-breaking pile of guaranteed cash, and every other good running back is going, "Well, I'm not an arthritic husk in my mid 20s so I deserve more" and it's not hard to understand. Conversely teams are going, "Just because someone else was stupid doesn't mean we have to be stupid."

All that so Gurley could get 35 yards in the Super Bowl because his joints are full of crushed pretzel sticks.

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
You couldn't get another team to take him at this point. For better or worse, he and the Cowboys are stuck with one another. I just wish the Cowboys realized that more and simply tell him that he can sit and effectively retire.
Agreed.

Don't think another team would take him or his salary he wants, head on. I say sit him. Tag him. And, let him rot.

IndianaCowboys1994

Reaction score
I expected that the issue of guaranteed money would be the major sticking point. It usually is with most contracts anyway, but I think that there are two points that make it an even bigger factor at work in these negotiations:
  1. The Todd Gurley messed up the market. And it has proven to be a mistake for the Rams as they are now stuck with a running back with a balky knee because of that guaranteed money. They would get out of the deal I fully they could, but they can't. They are the cautionary tale for the rest of the league.
  2. Elliott's own history should make anyone cautious in guaranteeing him anything. Let's face it, he can't guarantee that he can stay out of trouble and not miss games. So why should anyone guarantee him anything for that potential unknown? In short, they shouldn't. His own actions and choices created this dynamic, and he should be the one that suffers as a result, not anyone else.
Well said. Great post.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboys are close to making him the highest-paid RB, so I don't see that as much of an issue and like Walker just stated, a simple clause killing any guaranteed money if he gets into trouble takes care of the off-field issue. It's like one former GM once said, top players at their position always have value. Just a matter of how much.......

And it's hard to gauge how truly 'tops' a player is when they walk into the best situation for their position in the entire league.

The two guys before Elliott had great years because they played behind this offenseive line. In fact, Murray had a year that the 'top player' Elliott has yet to approach. So how truly great is a player that steps into that position and still hasn't matched what was done before him?

I do agree we are probably better off with each other but to say we're stuck together, I don't see that at all.

As I said, feel free to tell me I'm wrong I feel he's ever traded. It's simply never going to happen.

InTheZone

Reaction score
This is like saying every team is stupid for paying the next guy at any position higher than the last guy

I said it before, it's all about the guaranteed money, Zeke will sign a smaller deal than gurleys as long as the guaranteed portion is right.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agreed.

Don't think another team would take him or his salary he wants, head on. I say sit him. Tag him. And, let him rot.

There's no need for any tags. He's under contract. A contract that tolls over to the following year if he's doesn't show. I hope they don't give in to anything. Let him effectively 'retire'. We know that's not happening.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wonder how much this past off the field issue has to play into the Cowboys stance against the guaranteed money. If that really is the issue.
Though nothing came of it, it still happened. He was still called into the league office.

If it did not happen at all, wonder if a deal would have been done already. But also Zeke has to realize the Cowboys point of view, if any clauses were added about guarantees tied to off the field issues.

As much as it pains me our chances of a better season diminishes without Zeke, I am also ready to just get the season started to see how much it is effected. Maybe Pollard does great. Maybe he starts off ok, but slow like Zeke's first few games of his career, then takes off and we still win.

Anyway, I just want the season to start with or without Zeke. Let him sit in Cabo and go broke if he doesn't want to sign a high paying contract. So what it is not Gurley money. At least Gurley's team made it to the SB. Something Zeke's team has not done.

Last edited:

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
It really is this. They gave a talented but gimpy player a giant, market-breaking pile of guaranteed cash, and every other good running back is going, "Well, I'm not an arthritic husk in my mid 20s so I deserve more" and it's not hard to understand. Conversely teams are going, "Just because someone else was stupid doesn't mean we have to be stupid."

All that so Gurley could get 35 yards in the Super Bowl because his joints are full of crushed pretzel sticks.

So in a nutshell, since the Cowboys have arguably the best or second RB, they left trying to CORRECT the market.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is like saying every team is stupid for paying the next guy at any position higher than the last guy

No it isn't. Go do the homework.

Gurley's contract went far above simply 'higher than the last guy'.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
Enough. Are they going to report every time this deal is adjusted by $5k?

EzE is being a diva at this point.
God I hate defending this dolt, but EzE has been literally out of the country and not talking to anybody while his agent negotiates against an ownership group that likes to put negotiations in the public eye. So that makes him a diva?