That non-PI call was the play of the game

leeblair

Reaction score
You just labelled yourself as a troll. Witten was running away from the DB at the point the DB brought him down, so what you are saying isn't even possible.
If Witten was running away he was running away from the ball. The pass was there and the defensive back was stepping up to intercept it when Witten collided with him.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I was screaming throw the red flag 4 times at nobody , ie the Tv..it was worth a try but the way the non reversals have been going, doubt they call it after replay, although it was scoring shot so maybe they would have used the rule properly..

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's what's debatable to me. Did the contact knock Witten down or did he go down trying to turn back for the ball that was behind him? The telling thing I saw on the play was that Witten himself didn't ask for a flag. I have seen him do it before so it's interesting that he didn't there. Not sure if that matters but it was interesting nonetheless.
That thought crossed my mind initially, but I don't think Witten ever had the chance to turn back - I think the contact prevented any chance Witten had to adjust to the throw.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
You just labelled yourself as a troll. Witten was running away from the DB at the point the DB brought him down, so what you are saying isn't even possible.
That's nothing new for him. He was a troll at the Ranch, which Mike Fisher finally killed off with the move to SI.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Witten was running away he was running away from the ball. The pass was there and the defensive back was stepping up to intercept it when Witten collided with him.
You need to watch the play again. Witten made a cut and the DB was trailing him. The DB made contact from behind.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think you are confusing the guy trailing him with the guy he ran into.
I find it funny, by the way, that your first story was that the DB was justified running through Witten because he was going for the ball, then when confronted with the fact that a DB can't legally do that you changed your story to Witten ran through him.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
That thought crossed my mind initially, but I don't think Witten ever had the chance to turn back - I think the contact prevented any chance Witten had to adjust to the throw.

But if they fell just from tangled feet that is not a hinderance. It's just a bad luck thing. To me, Witten goes down in a delayed fashion and the contact wasn't the primary thing sending him down until he wanted to turn back for the pass thrown behind him. If you watch Smith, he gets pushed back when they collide so the effect was more on Smith and I don't think caused Witten to fall primarily.

Witten-Smith-R.gif

Last edited:

leeblair

Reaction score
I find it funny, by the way, that your first story was that the DB was justified running through Witten because he was going for the ball, then when confronted with the fact that a DB can't legally do that you changed your story to Witten ran through him.
I haven't changed anything. You might want to re-read what I wrote.
Sounds as if you saw what you wanted to see.

leeblair

Reaction score
As has been said, it's telling that Witten didn't protest the non-call.

Kaiser

Reaction score
If you watch Smith, he gets pushed back when they collide so the effect was more on Smith

This just in, scientists have determined that when a 215 pound player and a 265 pound player collide the effect will be more on the 215 pound player.

And by "scientists" I mean Isaac Newton in 1665.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
It is easy to hate the refs, however, I actually agree with this non-call.

Harrison was standing there and Witten ran his route right into him, initiating contact with his left arm than he fell down.

If Witten had just crossed in front of him and was knocked down I would say throw the flag, but when you initiate it the defense has to be allowed to hold their ground.

Last edited:

Kaiser

Reaction score
Harrison was standing their and Witten ran his route right into him, initiating contact with his left arm than he fell down.

If you look at the clip a few posts above, Harrison clearly moves forward to make contact. It looks like if Harrison had remained completely still, Witten would have crossed in front of him. The distances are close so I see your point, but I don't see the contact coming from Witten in any way - which is what makes it a penalty.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
If you look at the clip a few posts above, Harrison clearly moves forward to make contact. It looks like if Harrison had remained completely still, Witten would have crossed in front of him. The distances are close so I see your point, but I don't see the contact coming from Witten in any way - which is what makes it a penalty.

Yea, you are probably right, does look like he took a step forward to impede Witten's path, then Witten put out his left arm to shield him from the ball and they both fell down.

At full speed, it is one of those calls that could go either way but probably should have been PI.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
At this point I give up trying to figure out the refs.

Last night I was screaming for delay of game on the Vikings, then Robert Quinn got a sack and I got real quiet. So I guess it can go either way.

Kaiser

Reaction score
At full speed, it is one of those calls that could go either way but probably should have been PI.

I thought it was clearly PI but didn't really affect the outcome of the game. I'm pretty level headed when Im watching the games live, but I really thought we lost the game as soon as we went down 14 early. Dak can bring you back in the 4th quarter and he almost did, but you have to play well to beat a team like the Vikings. And we didn't do that.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Because the defender was playing the ball, not Witten. He's allowed to do that. Had Witten not been there, it would have been an interception.
The Cowboys were gifted a first down early in that drive based on a bogus defensive holding call that was called. The drive would have ended right there if the official hadn't bailed them out.
Then Amari Cooper pushed off on his touchdown reception in the end zone- Offensive Pass Interference anywhere in the NFL-except last night.
The Cowboys can't complain about the refs. They are getting some generous calls.
Thanks, it's always nice to have a Vikings fan explain the reality of things. :muttley:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But if they fell just from tangled feet that is not a hinderance. It's just a bad luck thing. To me, Witten goes down in a delayed fashion and the contact wasn't the primary thing sending him down until he wanted to turn back for the pass thrown behind him. If you watch Smith, he gets pushed back when they collide so the effect was more on Smith and I don't think caused Witten to fall primarily.

Witten-Smith-R.gif
I didn't see it just as tangled feet as a result of incidental contact, but if I get a chance to see the play again I'll give that another look.