That Time Rookie Dak Prescott Faced Multi-MVP Aaron Rodgers - and You Didn't See It

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fake news......void of Facts!

Dakota Prescott is statically better than he was in 2016......did Cowboys not Win a playoff game 2022 unlike 2016??
Look....if we are gonna "buy in"....to science and fact and truth....you cant just spout this without science or fact or truth.
As in...2022 tampa was one of the worst teams in recent memory to make the playoffs. Around top 10 ever in nfl history.
We beat a loser team. We were lucky to face such a loser. Then promptly wet ourselves facing a legitamate winning playoff team.
Im more proud of 9ers loss than bucs win.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
I'm unsure why you are so obsessed with defending Dak Prescott given how he played in the play offs against the 49ers in the last two play offs with loaded rosters.

The team went 5-1 over the past two seasons beating some good teams in the process with Cooper Rush at QB. Rush is arguably not even a back up QB in the NFL but more of a practice squad QB. So how did this team win 4 games and only lose one against a Superbowl team last season? Nobody regards the coaching is elite and even if it was you still need quality players to win those games.

The answer is because Prescott isn't a difference maker. Yes, all quarterbacks need help around them, but ultimately some are still able to win games when required whereas Prescott isn't able to do that. He won't lose you a game yet he won't win you a game and that ultimately doesn't get it done as everyone saw against the 49ers in the play offs the last two seasons. He was the QB with the ball in his hands for numerous drives to win those games but ultimately he couldn't get it done.

The only way it will be any different this season is if the defense carries him even more by continuing to give him surplus drives from excellent starting field positions and stopping the opposition from scoring many points. So in effect Prescott is just a bus driver and therein leaves the issue why so many people do not want him because you don't need to pay a bus driver 40 million and that price will go up if they keep him beyond this season!
I think the Dak defenders agree with your post...

Its how do you go about replacing him without losing the locker room or taking on a huge risk of turning this team into a "not so good" team with all this talent? Example...you cut Dak or bench him and put someone else in....what happens if the team, even with all this talent...doesnt produce because of a shaky QB situation? This will cause a ruckus in the locker room.

I agree non-Elite Qb's seem to be overpaid in the NFL, Dak may not have a clutch gene...but do you bench him/not resign him and most likely take two steps back before going 3 steps forward? Its the time frame in which you think you can get to a better team post-Dak that is the risk. Wasting 2 seasons with this kind of talent is risky and could upset the locker room. You could, however, hit the ground running. Its just risky...especially considering Dak is not considered trash by any stretch around the NFL.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
https://www.nfl.com/news/2016-pro-bowl-roster-0ap3000000607625

Its amazing how much disinformation or exaggeration some of yall will go to in attempt to discredit dak. They did have the best line thats for sure and a future HOF tight end who by the way was a shell of his former self and Dez Bryant had no business being in Pro bowl that year. his 2012 through14 seasons were good but he was average in 16.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BryaDe01.htm

Not sure who that Pro Bowl slot receiver was remind me.

In retrospect allowing romo back for the playoffs may have been the better decision but it was virtually the same roster he failed with in 14 so i can get why the cowboys did what they did.Its hard to argue 11 in a row.
The only thing i have to oppose that....well two things:
1. You dont run the greatest sports franchise on the planet (or any business) based on superstition. Blackjack win streak. Really?
2. Dak played well enough for romo to completely heal. Unlike the past he would continue to play hurt or come back still hurt. That just gets you....more hurt.
That team needed a real veteran to truly excel through the dificult playoffs.
I aint saying all on dak. He played well woth arguably a really good team which relied on stud rb.
I just think there were some qualities of experience and style that could have made a difference.
All in the long ago past.

starfan1

Reaction score
Look....if we are gonna "buy in"....to science and fact and truth....you cant just spout this without science or fact or truth.
As in...2022 tampa was one of the worst teams in recent memory to make the playoffs. Around top 10 ever in nfl history.
We beat a loser team. We were lucky to face such a loser. Then promptly wet ourselves facing a legitamate winning playoff team.
Out fo curiosity does tha fact that same team beat them in game 1 19-3 in Dallas have no bearing in your evaluation? Does tha fact that the dallas cowboys never beat tom Brady not play a role in youre evaluation? It was the playoffs and The TEAM stepped up and did what they should have done in tampa and i can remember many a talking head picking against dallas. San fran front 7 is beast the best in NFL and the only thing that kept them from the SB was the loss of their QB.

Dallas has not matched up well against them at all and this last year Dak was bad.

The previous year i am not putting it on him as the 15 penalties were a bigger factor IMO.

Last year even though his weapons were allevated once pollard went down his 2 picks were unexusable especially the second one when the previous play was almost picked. The play call on the 1st I think it was 2nd and 2 on the 20. Brett maher not being able to hit the red side of a green barn had to have played on Moores mind but it was a dumb call.

I have seen you argue this fact with many and im not sure why. maybe being a cowboy fan living in tampa area plays a role I am not sure but it was a playoff win and a solid performance. i dont care what the record was.

starfan1

Reaction score

The only thing i have to oppose that....well two things:
1. You dont run the greatest sports franchise on the planet (or any business) based on superstition. Blackjack win streak. Really?
2. Dak played well enough for romo to completely heal. Unlike the past he would continue to play hurt or come back still hurt. That just gets you....more hurt.
That team needed a real veteran to truly excel through the dificult playoffs.
I aint saying all on dak. He played well woth arguably a really good team which relied on stud rb.
I just think there were some qualities of experience and style that could have made a difference.
All in the long ago past.
Jerry has ruined this once great franchise for the almighty dollar. Hes a great business man crappy GM. you and I have went back and forth on Romo for years you think he was the best thing since sliced butter I dont its all good. He had his chance he failed. he failed for a variety of reasons some of the similar to daks failures. regardless he failed as has Dak. My biggest culprit for this organizations resides in the press box and his failure to field a complete team.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry has ruined this once great franchise for the almighty dollar. Hes a great business man crappy GM. you and I have went back and forth on Romo for years you think he was the best thing since sliced butter I dont its all good. He had his chance he failed. he failed for a variety of reasons some of the similar to daks failures. regardless he failed as has Dak. My biggest culprit for this organizations resides in the press box and his failure to field a complete team.
Well you are wrong then. I never said Romo was the greatest. What I have done is defend him from undue criticism.

If only we all had the same fair criteria for everyone, eh? We have different criteria for certain players.

If only we all would defend our players from the sharks and scavengers with equal gusto.

You might claim I don;t defend Dak like I do Romo. That would be fair. As I see many of the dak haters not legitimate, therefore not worth the time. People I respect, such as yourself...I may take the time to try and convince. Not as much of late...pretty much gave up. :)
And as I said...long ago in the past and fading even more. Only ocasional objections these days. Which I think are very legit. A healthy Romo *can* be devastating. I don;t think his loser legacy is earned or legit.

We disagree on that. Fine.

diamonddelts

Reaction score
I'm unsure why you are so obsessed with defending Dak Prescott given how he played in the play offs against the 49ers in the last two play offs with loaded rosters.

The team went 5-1 over the past two seasons beating some good teams in the process with Cooper Rush at QB. Rush is arguably not even a back up QB in the NFL but more of a practice squad QB. So how did this team win 4 games and only lose one against a Superbowl team last season? Nobody regards the coaching is elite and even if it was you still need quality players to win those games.

The answer is because Prescott isn't a difference maker. Yes, all quarterbacks need help around them, but ultimately some are still able to win games when required whereas Prescott isn't able to do that. He won't lose you a game yet he won't win you a game and that ultimately doesn't get it done as everyone saw against the 49ers in the play offs the last two seasons. He was the QB with the ball in his hands for numerous drives to win those games but ultimately he couldn't get it done.

The only way it will be any different this season is if the defense carries him even more by continuing to give him surplus drives from excellent starting field positions and stopping the opposition from scoring many points. So in effect Prescott is just a bus driver and therein leaves the issue why so many people do not want him because you don't need to pay a bus driver 40 million and that price will go up if they keep him beyond this season!
Superb post. Though he is not elite, I am glad Dak got the payday he was looking for. However with great power comes great responsibility.

Dak requested to be paid as a elite quarterback. Now it is fair to criticize him and hold him to the expectations of an elite QB1.

As of late we have seen Dak and the offense falter during crucial moments in big playoff games. This is where he is paid to be a difference maker and lead the team down the field during crucial third and you need its.

Once you get the bag of cash all the excuses and other explanations go by the wayside.That's the deal with the devil when asking for elite qb money which takes up larger portions of the salary cap.

Now it is time to put up or shut up. And for the last two years it has been the latter.

Last edited:

diamonddelts

Reaction score
I concur. This franchise will not see another Super Bowl until leather face is pushing up daisies.

Qcard

Reaction score
This is some weird Word Salad.....Sounds like Sound Bite....click bait.

I have reading skills.

Facts Definition already implies ALL context (science, math, fake news etc) had been Factored in to deduce resulting Facts......2022 was better than 2016.

Does anyone Hate on other QBs for playing in historically putrid divisions?

Get Real!!
Blah Blah...Imagine if the Cowboys had lost??

The Tampa had more playoff experience with the Greatest QB at the Helm in Brady.

Dak Haters write a Narrative that Hates on Prescott.....

Imagine Stephen Jones telling Tony Pollard...."you dominated a hapless Tampa Team....give me a team discount"

Dak Haters are useless

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Out fo curiosity does tha fact that same team beat them in game 1 19-3 in Dallas have no bearing in your evaluation? Does tha fact that the dallas cowboys never beat tom Brady not play a role in youre evaluation? It was the playoffs and The TEAM stepped up and did what they should have done in tampa and i can remember many a talking head picking against dallas. San fran front 7 is beast the best in NFL and the only thing that kept them from the SB was the loss of their QB.

Dallas has not matched up well against them at all and this last year Dak was bad.

The previous year i am not putting it on him as the 15 penalties were a bigger factor IMO.

Last year even though his weapons were allevated once pollard went down his 2 picks were unexusable especially the second one when the previous play was almost picked. The play call on the 1st I think it was 2nd and 2 on the 20. Brett maher not being able to hit the red side of a green barn had to have played on Moores mind but it was a dumb call.

I have seen you argue this fact with many and im not sure why. maybe being a cowboy fan living in tampa area plays a role I am not sure but it was a playoff win and a solid performance. i dont care what the record was.
I do not argue our regular season success...especially early season.

I stand by my stance....that was a bad Bucs team making the playoffs by default 8-9 is straight up losers. How can you deny that?

. Brady was an aging dysfunctional QB ( personal issues) on a dysfunction and injured team. To say Dak beat the GOAT is intellectually dishonest as he isn't anymore.

The two niners games are more indicative of our state of things.

I also totally sincere when I say I am more proud of going into 9ers and having real shot at them than waltzing into Tampa. Only a couple mistakes stopped ourselves. It happens. beating a crappy team? Regardless of playoff sudden death...just not overwhelmed or boastful about it....beating crappy teams...isn't my goal. We MUST beat good teams. In the playoffs.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is some weird Word Salad.....Sounds like Sound Bite....click bait.

I have reading skills.

Facts Definition already implies ALL context (science, math, fake news etc) had been Factored in to deduce resulting Facts......2022 was better than 2016.

Does anyone Hate on other QBs for playing in historically putrid divisions?

Get Real!!

Blah Blah...Imagine if the Cowboys had lost??

The Tampa had more playoff experience with the Greatest QB at the Helm in Brady.

Dak Haters write a Narrative that Hates on Prescott.....

Imagine Stephen Jones telling Tony Pollard...."you dominated a hapless Tampa Team....give me a team discount"

Dak Haters are useless
2022 team was a crappy 8-9 team. That's it.VERY simple. FACT!

YOUR "word salad" mans crap.

Qcard

Reaction score

Dak Haters paint a Narrative that suits their opinion.

The Tampa victory implies Prescott has never beat a good playoff team.

Did they miss the Seattle Playoff win against the "Legion of let Dak win"

Dak Haters are Imbeciles...

I applaud you for trying to reason with stupidity..

The Playoffs are a New Tournament....they will NEVER give Prescott any credit :laugh:

diamonddelts

Reaction score

I was proud of Daks performance against Tampa Bay. I thought it was simply brilliant.

As of late we have seen Dak and the offense falter during crucial moments in big playoff games vs. a top tier defense. This is where he is paid to be a difference maker and lead the team down the field during crucial third and you need its.

Instead we all have seen the implosions when Dallas is down by ten or less in big playoff games against great defenses. You can literally hear the air leave the stadium. In these situations Dak goes into Romo mode with inexplicable ints and a continuous string of 3 and outs.

Those are the moments that create and define a legacy. Romos talented but choking legacy is in stone. Daks story is not finished yet, but it is starting to eerily teeter towards the Romo gene.

starfan1

Reaction score
I was proud of Daks performance against Tampa Bay. I thought it was simply brilliant.

As of late we have seen Dak and the offense falter during crucial moments in big playoff games vs. a top tier defense. This is where he is paid to be a difference maker and lead the team down the field during crucial third and you need its.

Instead we all have seen the implosions when Dallas is down by ten or less in big playoff games against great defenses. You can literally hear the air leave the stadium. In these situations Dak goes into Romo mode with inexplicable ints and a continuous string of 3 and outs.

Those are the moments that create and define a legacy. Romos talented but choking legacy is in stone. Daks story is not finished yet, but it is starting to eerily teeter towards the Romo gene.
Not much I can argue there outside the whole dak is paid to be the difference maker. Is Cousins ? is Murray ? Is jackson ? No none of them are elite there is Mahomes then a drop off then there is Burrows,Allen , Rodgers and I say that with a question mark behind it but well see this year, dak falls somewhere in the next 5.

Dak is paid like he is because it was his turn to be paid and the cowboys elected to pay him. They are also most likely going to extend him just like they did Romo and if you are expecting either of them to do Mahomes or Prime Brady things then you are in for a heartbreak or upset stomach.Dak or romo is and was not that guy buy the thing they both have in common is they were both franchise QBs and the going rate for them is top dollar.

If youre upset with the QB position as of late there is no one to blame beyond skelator he is the one who paid Dak and Romo because he had to. When you have a QB of both of their skillsets you need to put the complete teams around them and thus far its been a failure from Jethro and his boy. Just my opinion

diamonddelts

Reaction score
Not much I can argue there outside the whole dak is paid to be the difference maker. Is Cousins ? is Murray ? Is jackson ? No none of them are elite there is Mahomes then a drop off then there is Burrows,Allen , Rodgers and I say that with a question mark behind it but well see this year, dak falls somewhere in the next 5.

Dak is paid like he is because it was his turn to be paid and the cowboys elected to pay him. They are also most likely going to extend him just like they did Romo and if you are expecting either of them to do Mahomes or Prime Brady things then you are in for a heartbreak or upset stomach.Dak or romo is and was not that guy buy the thing they both have in common is they were both franchise QBs and the going rate for them is top dollar.

If youre upset with the QB position as of late there is no one to blame beyond skelator he is the one who paid Dak and Romo because he had to. When you have a QB of both of their skillsets you need to put the complete teams around them and thus far its been a failure from Jethro and his boy. Just my opinion
I understand salary negotiations. Dak was simply the next man up. I also fully understand that his skill set and natural talents did not increase as soon as he signed the contract.

But with that massive increase in pay also comes criticism. It is not any player's job to field a team around them. It is the gm or lack there of in Dallas. With that being said Dak is an intelligent man and he knows how the game works.

The more money you take from the salary cap the less help you're going to get. You have to accept that when you sign a big deal.

I think all of it is dumb to be honest. Qb pay is out of control And a death knell for any team that pays top dollar for one outside of Mahomes. Couple that with a dumb idiot owner who refuses to hire a real gm and helped spearhead the salary cap era which has caused his undoing and sealed the Cowboys fate for the last 27 years.

So guys with above average talent such as Dak needs heaps of help. But he also wants heaps of top level money. He cannot have both. There lies the conundrum.

diamonddelts

Reaction score
They changed the style that he was best at . Methodical dink dunk move the football. No let’s open it up and become the Kansas City Chiefs and then we did that and started to lose even though we were passing for 400 yards plus.
Yep. Bring back dink and Dak.

starfan1

Reaction score
I understand salary negotiations. Dak was simply the next man up. I also fully understand that his skill set and natural talents did not increase as soon as he signed the contract.

But with that massive increase in pay also comes criticism. It is not any player's job to field a team around them. It is the gm or lack there of in Dallas. With that being said Dak is an intelligent man and he knows how the game works.

The more money you take from the salary cap the less help you're going to get. You have to accept that when you sign a big deal.

I think all of it is dumb to be honest. Qb pay is out of control And a death knell for any team that pays top dollar for one outside of Mahomes. Couple that with a dumb idiot owner who refuses to hire a real gm and helped spearhead the salary cap era which has caused his undoing and sealed the Cowboys fate for the last 27 years.

So guys with above average talent such as Dak needs heaps of help. But he also wants heaps of top level money. He cannot have both. There lies the conundrum.
QB pay is insanely out of control I agree

mmohican29

Reaction score
Strange calls in the 1st half halted very promising Dallas drives. Especially the illegal huddle.