That Time Rookie Dak Prescott Faced Multi-MVP Aaron Rodgers - and You Didn't See It

diamonddelts

Reaction score
If you buy into the legitimacy of the NFL. I don't, and haven't for years.

I enjoy the game: the beauty of the athleticism, the chess-like strategy, the aerial darts, the hits. I don't buy into final playoff outcomes as I know at the end of the day, some teams are anointed before hand, others not.

I'm free from those bonds, those expectations, those constraints, those lies.

Money and power drive outcomes in the world, not fair competition.

You absolutely gotta be good to win it all, but you also need the anointing from above.
Wow. Ok.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
If you buy into the legitimacy of the NFL. I don't, and haven't for years.

I enjoy the game: the beauty of the athleticism, the chess-like strategy, the aerial darts, the hits. I don't buy into final playoff outcomes as I know at the end of the day, some teams are anointed before hand, others not.

I'm free from those bonds, those expectations, those constraints, those lies.

Money and power drive outcomes in the world, not fair competition.

You absolutely gotta be good to win it all, but you also need the anointing from humans above.
BOOM

diamonddelts

Reaction score
So Dak is secondary to Cowboys issues? How often do you defend that in Dak Hater threads?

Of course...all reasonable Dak critiquers dont show up in Dak hate threads?

Odd...

Seems convenient.
You seem bound and determined to debate about Dak. I could care less. I have defended Dak in the past but no more. Dallas will not win a Super Bowl with Dak at the helm.

And when Dak is long forgotten about and the next sucker steps up to play QB1 for Dallas, he will also fail because no one can overcome the non football guy playing gm aka Jerry Jones. Does that make it simple enough for you? Gggggreat.

Last edited:

FanofJerry

Reaction score
You seem bound and determined to debate about Dak. I could care less. I have defended Dak in the past but no more. Dallas will not win a Super Bowl with Dak at the helm.

And when Dak is long forgotten about and the next sucker steps up to play QB1 for Dallas, he will also fail because no one can overcome the non football guy playing gm aka Jerry Jones. Does that make it simple enough for you? Gggggreat.
"couldnt care less"...or you do care? You write as if you care.

T-RO

Reaction score
You write as if you're a fan of Jerry.
There's a lot of rigid partisanship around here. And "single-issue voters."

Some feel such rage towards Jerry that it sculpts their every opinion and post. Everything must circle back to blaming him and hating him. Look, I get it. I think he's a piece of crap too, in many ways. But I've learned to acknowledge that the Jones family puts a good winning team on the field most seasons.

Some will attack--or defend Dak 100%. Not me. His raw talent simply isn't top-five. Doesn't move as well as the best, doesn't have the rocket arm. And with Jerry around we'll never see an elite HC stick around, which makes winning it all difficult (were we in a fair world).

But Dak's pretty darn good and he's a class act. He's our guy.

Find a way to enjoy it...or stay miserable.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
You write as if you're a fan of Jerry.
If the clutch situations is an issue for Dak...I suggest Dallas find a creative play caller.

I dont think its as easy that...and I dont think its as easy as going Rook contract with a creative play caller.

Diamond...you can take the super rigid approach of "next man up"...but I think you lose a locker room. Even if the locker room is supposed to be professionals. Thats what "get rid of of the current QB" school of thought exist around without taking into account other Pro Bowl level players careers at stake. How come no poster wants to talk about this? Its baffling.

You ditch Dak and Parsons is upset...that permeates through the locker room and to other high level players and their career window. What is your plan? Rigid "shut up and play"? I dont think that goes well or far.

Sure...posters have speculated Parsons was upset with Dak after this year based on a tweet...seems risky even if you are the best player on a team. And...its not just about parsons...its about Martin, Smith, Lawrence and their careers...not just about an Elite QB journey.

diamonddelts

Reaction score
If the clutch situations is an issue for Dak...I suggest Dallas find a creative play caller.

I dont think its as easy that...and I dont think its as easy as going Rook contract with a creative play caller.

Diamond...you can take the super rigid approach of "next man up"...but I think you lose a locker room. Even if the locker room is supposed to be professionals. Thats what "get rid of of the current QB" school of thought exist around without taking into account other Pro Bowl level players careers at stake. How come no poster wants to talk about this? Its baffling.

You ditch Dak and Parsons is upset...that permeates through the locker room and to other high level players and their career window. What is your plan? Rigid "shut up and play"? I dont think that goes well or far.

Sure...posters have speculated Parsons was upset with Dak after this year based on a tweet...seems risky even if you are the best player on a team. And...its not just about parsons...its about Martin, Smith, Lawrence and their careers...not just about an Elite QB journey.
Understood. You make valid points. And Parsons should have kept his disappointment in Dak in the locker room and not made that public tweet.

diamonddelts

Reaction score
There's a lot of rigid partisanship around here. And "single-issue voters."

Some feel such rage towards Jerry that it sculpts their every opinion and post. Everything must circle back to blaming him and hating him. Look, I get it. I think he's a piece of crap too, in many ways. But I've learned to acknowledge that the Jones family puts a good winning team on the field most seasons.

Some will attack--or defend Dak 100%. Not me. His raw talent simply isn't top-five. Doesn't move as well as the best, doesn't have the rocket arm. And with Jerry around we'll never see an elite HC stick around, which makes winning it all difficult (were we in a fair world).

But Dak's pretty darn good and he's a class act. He's our guy.

Find a way to enjoy it...or stay miserable.
Good post. I consider myself a realist at this point. I've defended Dak numerous times and heard many not so nice things based on my defense of Dak. Let's just say many of the insults were more on the personal side that most members here don't have to deal with.

With that being said, Dak can strike lightning in a bottle at times. He shows flashes of brilliance at times but can be frustratingly lackluster at other key moments.

After the 2016 season I truly thought Dak was the closer the Cowboys had not seen in decades. I knew he was not as physically talented as previous Dallas quarterbacks but I thought he had the clutch gene.Now at this point I must admit I have given up on that assertion.

Now he seems to be leaning closer to the Romo gene. Unspeakable mental lapses in key moments of big games. I don't attempt to explain them because I do not think that Dak is a dumb player by any means. But the last two years are what they are.

GINeric

Reaction score
Watching Dak from back then and watching Dak now is like watching two completely different things. In 2016 we knew what we had and game planned accordingly. Then we paid him 40 million bucks and forgot what he is.

That's what happens when you play under one of the dumbest offensive coordinators in history with an extremely low football IQ and a trash in-game awareness.

Thank God he's gone.

T-RO

Reaction score
A lot of people who want to get rid of Dak seem to think it will be easy to get someone a little better, or to secure the ever elusive top-tier Quarterback.

You could give up 3 first round draft picks (and more) and find yourself drafting in a year when there simply is no Joe Burrow, Mahomes, or Allen. Or mis-identify which one is the best from the litter.

Consider how many teams have been on an endless hunt for even a top 15 QB!

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Good post. I consider myself a realist at this point. I've defended Dak numerous times and heard many not so nice things based on my defense of Dak. Let's just say many of the insults were more on the personal side that most members here don't have to deal with.

With that being said, Dak can strike lightning in a bottle at times. He shows flashes of brilliance at times but can be frustratingly lackluster at other key moments.

After the 2016 season I truly thought Dak was the closer the Cowboys had not seen in decades. I knew he was not as physically talented as previous Dallas quarterbacks but I thought he had the clutch gene.Now at this point I must admit I have given up on that assertion.

Now he seems to be leaning closer to the Romo gene. Unspeakable mental lapses in key moments of big games. I don't attempt to explain them because I do not think that Dak is a dumb player by any means. But the last two years are what they are.
Pretty much the way I am. I was all for him replacing Romo in 2016 and I was a big Dak supporter in his early years. I never blamed him for that GB playoff game either. But he's going into his 8th year and he's regressed. Now he's up and down. He can look like an all pro one week and a scub the next. Never can win a SB with that kind of play.

T-RO

Reaction score
Pretty much the way I am. I was all for him replacing Romo in 2016 and I was a big Dak supporter in his early years. I never blamed him for that GB playoff game either. But he's going into his 8th year and he's regressed. Now he's up and down. He can look like an all pro one week and a scub the next. Never can win a SB with that kind of play.
Can't say I 100% disagree with you. I certainly have doubts.

But I want to see 2013 where Dak has 3 valid NFL wide receivers. And a wild card out of the backfield like Vaughn.

All Quarterbacks need a surrounding cast, and Prescott has been pretty darn prolific when he's got good weapons.

DFWJC

Reaction score
So Dak and Rodgers squared off one on one?
cool

I really would've liked to have seen that.

on a side note. I would like to point out that Green Bay that year had the worst pass defense that Dallas has EVER faced in the playoffs
In Cowboy history….the very worst (or easist)
fall out of bed and throw for 350 on that crew

T-RO

Reaction score
So Dak and Rodgers squared off one on one?
cool

I really would've liked to have seen that.

on a side note. I would like to point out that Green Bay that year had the worst pass defense that Dallas has EVER faced in the playoffs
In Cowboy history….the very worst (or easist)
fall out of bed and throw for 350 on that crew
And Dallas 2016 was the worst pass defense Rodgers EVER faced in the playoffs.

I can keep going as long as you boys want.

Funny 2022 season update.
Dak-led Dallas offense........... 32.5 points per game > playoffs
Rodgers-led Packer offense.. 21.8 points per game > dark room

Swagger

Reaction score

It's all relative though.

The Cowboys' pass defense was still a lot better than the Packers' pass defense. The Packers' secondary had at least one injury fairly early on in the game as well. I remember Prescott effectively straight down the guys throat and he dropped it.

The Cowboys also had the best offensive line in the league with the best running back, Pro Bowl WR1, pro bowl slot receiver and a future hall of fame tight end. Any fairly competent NFL QB would do well not to score 30+ points with that offense against such a gash pass defense. Let's have it right.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Read the title:
This thread is about one single game. January 16, 2017. That's it. That's all. That's our Soup du jour. Single games don't prove much, but they do shed some light.

If you want to discuss other games...serve a different soup...start a different thread.

blueblood70

Reaction score

also dont leave out Dak beat them in 2016 rs game and had 14 point lead in the 4th last year in Lambo and lost , on the defense again.

Swagger

Reaction score
I'm unsure why you are so obsessed with defending Dak Prescott given how he played in the play offs against the 49ers in the last two play offs with loaded rosters.

The team went 5-1 over the past two seasons beating some good teams in the process with Cooper Rush at QB. Rush is arguably not even a back up QB in the NFL but more of a practice squad QB. So how did this team win 4 games and only lose one against a Superbowl team last season? Nobody regards the coaching is elite and even if it was you still need quality players to win those games.

The answer is because Prescott isn't a difference maker. Yes, all quarterbacks need help around them, but ultimately some are still able to win games when required whereas Prescott isn't able to do that. He won't lose you a game yet he won't win you a game and that ultimately doesn't get it done as everyone saw against the 49ers in the play offs the last two seasons. He was the QB with the ball in his hands for numerous drives to win those games but ultimately he couldn't get it done.

The only way it will be any different this season is if the defense carries him even more by continuing to give him surplus drives from excellent starting field positions and stopping the opposition from scoring many points. So in effect Prescott is just a bus driver and therein leaves the issue why so many people do not want him because you don't need to pay a bus driver 40 million and that price will go up if they keep him beyond this season!

starfan1

Reaction score
It's all relative though.

The Cowboys' pass defense was still a lot better than the Packers' pass defense. The Packers' secondary had at least one injury fairly early on in the game as well. I remember Prescott effectively straight down the guys throat and he dropped it.

The Cowboys also had the best offensive line in the league with the best running back, Pro Bowl WR1, pro bowl slot receiver and a future hall of fame tight end. Any fairly competent NFL QB would do well not to score 30+ points with that offense against such a gash pass defense. Let's have it right.
https://www.nfl.com/news/2016-pro-bowl-roster-0ap3000000607625

Its amazing how much disinformation or exaggeration some of yall will go to in attempt to discredit dak. They did have the best line thats for sure and a future HOF tight end who by the way was a shell of his former self and Dez Bryant had no business being in Pro bowl that year. his 2012 through14 seasons were good but he was average in 16.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BryaDe01.htm

Not sure who that Pro Bowl slot receiver was remind me.

In retrospect allowing romo back for the playoffs may have been the better decision but it was virtually the same roster he failed with in 14 so i can get why the cowboys did what they did.Its hard to argue 11 in a row. I actually like that 14 teams chances much better than i did 16 but was dissapointed by both