CFZ The additions of Mazi/Overshown are all about fixing the run & read option

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I don't see it because I don't see young rookies having much impact. I still think they are going to figure out ways to get Hendershot and Ferguson out there together. Then you have Gallup, Cooks and Lamb....I don't know what to expect lol.
This subject was going to be on my next post. I believe they have more versatility with the looks they can give a defense to keep them guessing what is coming.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Wanna some hear something interesting..........I decided to take a peek at MM's 2010 roster with the Packers, the same year he won the Super Bowl. It was the first year he had a fullback and NT. They drafted B J Raji in 2009 and started Korey Hall at FB. So what happened last week.....we drafted our first NT since 1991 and signed FA fullback.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/gnb/lineups.htm
Korey Hall was a special teamer who had been on the team for 4 years in 2010. John Kuhn actually played on the offense, and was also in his 4th year. BJ Raji was valuable because he could rush the passer - he had 6.5 sacks. They also played a 3-4 that is totally irrelevant in today's NFL.

2010 GB also had a 5/4 pass/run ratio and only averaged 3.8 ypc.

That team was in no way a template for how to win in 2023.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
I was thinking about this the other day. Last's year day 1 starter Bohanna, is now our 3rd string 1 T with Mazi and Hankins in front of him. That's pretty darn good.

With Odigi, Fehoko and Golston, where does Gallimore rank as our best 3T option? He's definitely behind Odigi already. I personally don't think Golston can push him out. But Fehoko may have a chance to do so. If he does, Galli as the 3rd string 3T, is pretty darn good too.
Gholston
Gallimore

Fixed it for you. JAGS. Limited snap injury replacement types at best. I would cut them both and kick the tires on a McClay find from somewhere else after cut downs (IE Woods).

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The first 5 draft picks were all about one thing. Stopping the run and improved blocking.

The game is still won in the trenches is an old saying. But it's obvious the Cowboys lived by that mantra last weekend.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Can't wait to see overshown blow up hurts on that keeper :popcorn:
robert-redford-jeremiah-johnson.gif

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Hearing the scouts feel like they drafted another Bland. Don't let that 4.7 40 time fool you, he did it after hurting his quad, there are rumblings that he actually is a 4.5 player. Mosher recalculated his athletic testing just changing his 40 time and it showed he was an elite athlete.
Hopefully Davis can be a good understudy for Gilmore.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
They also played a 3-4 that is totally irrelevant in today's NFL.
Actually, this was my next what......how much, if any of this we will see, especially since Parsons is now saying he'll play more DEs. Correct me if I'm wrong but a 3-4 for us gets ......DLaw, Smith, Armstrong, ......Parsons, LVE, Clark and Sam Williams ( Parsons pass rusher ) all on the field same time.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I don't see it because I don't see young rookies having much impact. I still think they are going to figure out ways to get Hendershot and Ferguson out there together. Then you have Gallup, Cooks and Lamb....I don't know what to expect lol.
I disagree, Schonn will be a 25 year old rookie that was playing in a pro offense under Harbaugh. He may need a little work as a receiver, but he is ready day 1 as a inline blocker. Running backs/full backs translate better then any other positions that come into this league.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I disagree, Schonn will be a 25 year old rookie that was playing in a pro offense under Harbaugh. He may need a little work as a receiver, but he is ready day 1 as a inline blocker. Running backs/full backs translate better then any other positions that come into this league.
I understand but tight ends regardless of age just don't come right in and contribute. Just doesn't happen. And to be honest I don' think he will be allowed to. I still think this team values Hendershot and Ferguson. I may be wrong there but I think they still like both.

quickccc

Reaction score
Mazi Smith was a two gap DT at Michigan where his main responsibility was to take on blockers, read/react and make plays against the run. He was athletic enough to not only makes plays within the interior, but also on the outside. He has the ability to get push in the pocket and take away the ability for QB's to move up in the pocket. His play can have a positive affect on the entire defense, from keeping our linebackers clean and even helping out our pass rush. Probably be used more as a run player earl on.

Think of a bigger/faster version of Donovan Wilson with DeMarvion Overshown, they have similar skill sets. When they see the play, they both fly to the football. I have heard one of Overshown's best attributes is his ability to effectively spy these mobile QB's. When you look in our division, we have several read option QB's to we have to face, he will be part of the solution to do a better job in this area, in which they struggled badly with last season. He also will help with covering all these backs and take away that hidden yardage.

The goal is to become better on the early downs, so we can force teams to deal with our pass rush. I feel these 2 additions, have the potential to do just that. Key is keeping our linebackers clean as we have several good run and chase backers that struggle taking on blockers.
We play a lot of nickel defense, much more than we do base defense .. but opposing teams felt they could run on us at will,.. until we proved we can finally stop it.

Teams will attempt to do so again, if not success early, they will figure we should eventually begin to crack a leak and be weak again vs run.

We finally starting trimming down that run success when Hankins came aboard via trade, .plus i tend to believe that Quinn tweaked the gap scheme to play more
disciplined and functional vs the run,.this may have included the entire upfront 6 or 7 defenders.

- Per rookie-ness, adjusting to NFL, specialized role, under-developed physically, i don't expect much from Overshown his rookie year.
I think he'll be depth and part time/special teams and package set player until he is up to speed after a year.

- i think Mazzi will eventually start after he's also caught up to NFL speed and in-the-trench nuisances; Hankins will lead the 1-tech/NT in base and certain packages
But teams should not run at will as they did much of '22 season. That spells the Eagle read option and their new starting RB.

Mr_437

Reaction score
The likes of Joseph/Wright better show up in camp.
Meh Scott has his warts just like Joseph/Wright. KJ is a better athlete and Wright is a better, more willing tackler...then you have a 2nd and 3rd round picks compared to a 6th. Bland is an exception and Scott has to something.
Diggs
Gilmore
Bland
Lewis
Bubble:
Joseph
Wright
Scott Jr.
Brooks

All these guys are battling for 1 spot barring injury or a surprise cut or trade of Lewis.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
We play a lot of nickel defense, much more than we do base defense .. but opposing teams felt they could run on us at will,.. until we proved we can finally stop it.

Teams will attempt to do so again, if not success early, they will figure we should eventually begin to crack a leak and be weak again vs run.

We finally starting trimming down that run success when Hankins came aboard via trade, .plus i tend to believe that Quinn tweaked the gap scheme to play more
disciplined and functional vs the run,.this may have included the entire upfront 6 or 7 defenders.

- Per rookie-ness, adjusting to NFL, specialized role, under-developed physically, i don't expect much from Overshown his rookie year.
I think he'll be depth and part time/special teams and package set player until he is up to speed after a year.

- i think Mazzi will eventually start after he's also caught up to NFL speed and in-the-trench nuisances; Hankins will lead the 1-tech/NT in base and certain packages
But teams should not run at will as they did much of '22 season. That spells the Eagle read option and their new starting RB.
What was encouraging in the playoff loss to the 49ers, our run defense held up for 3 quarters against one of the best running teams in the league. They did ware down late in that game, but he was more due to playing too many snaps as the offense was struggling to drive the football.

Mazi will be apart of the DL rotation and will be an instant upgrade over the depth we had last season. Keeping both Hankins/Mazi fresh will be one of the keys to our success.

As for Overshown, think Quinn will carve out a role for him within the defense. Clark had up and down play last season to the point where they didn't trust him in the playoffs, let's see if he improves with a full offseason this yr. All both these 2 have to accomplish is be better than what Barr gave us last season, which was average production.

Mr_437

Reaction score

I agree with your post. It seems some ppl believe just because a guy is drafted he's automatically better than guys who are on the team and have been around for a year or two when that experience is crucial to who gets to play.
Mazi/Big Hank
Schoon/Ferg
Overshown/Clark
Fehoko/Golston
Scott Jr./Joseph n Wright
The beauty of the roster building Dallas has done is they have depth and aren't going to rush a rookie who isn't ready.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Meh Scott has his warts just like Joseph/Wright. KJ is a better athlete and Wright is a better, more willing tackler...then you have a 2nd and 3rd round picks compared to a 6th. Bland is an exception and Scott has to something.
Diggs
Gilmore
Bland
Lewis
Bubble:
Joseph
Wright
Scott Jr.
Brooks

All these guys are battling for 1 spot barring injury or a surprise cut or trade of Lewis.
I would include Lewis on that list as well, cause they can save 5 million for his release. Remember, Muku showed he can handle the slot if needed and he should also be on your list as he has moved to corner. Thinking Wright might move to safety.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
They will be playing for their roster spots during the summer no doubt. I expect both Wright and Joseph to be ready.
I am thinking Wright might be moves to Safety as Muku as been moved to corner. Bones Fassell is the only one keeping Joseph on this roster, he better perform or he is a goner.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I understand but tight ends regardless of age just don't come right in and contribute. Just doesn't happen. And to be honest I don' think he will be allowed to. I still think this team values Hendershot and Ferguson. I may be wrong there but I think they still like both.
Schoon is a better version of Ferguson who make a nice impact as a rookie. I think all the TE's will see a ton of snaps.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Schoon is a better version of Ferguson who make a nice impact as a rookie. I think all the TE's will see a ton of snaps.
I mean he made a impact as a backup tight end. If you're saying School will have the impact as Ferguson then I'm in no disagreement there.

Mr_437

Reaction score
I would include Lewis on that list as well, cause they can save 5 million for his release. Remember, Muku showed he can handle the slot if needed and he should also be on your list as he has moved to corner. Thinking Wright might move to safety.
Interesting, I would like to see the results of Wright moving to S. Yeah I agree, Lewis is on the bubble if a couple of these CBs show to be solid. I always thought Lewis could be traded moreso than released, but it doesn't matter.