CFZ The additions of Mazi/Overshown are all about fixing the run & read option

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I am thinking Wright might be moves to Safety as Muku as been moved to corner. Bones Fassell is the only one keeping Joseph on this roster, he better perform or he is a goner.
I think Wright has issues changing direction and stop/go routes. He is really just a zone corner. Joseph has two problems. 1st he is inexperienced and second he was trying to promote Bossman Fat. Luckily the Bossman stuff is probably over. I think they should turn him into slot cornerback. He is sticky and he does not have to think to much.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Actually, this was my next what......how much, if any of this we will see, especially since Parsons is now saying he'll play more DEs. Correct me if I'm wrong but a 3-4 for us gets ......DLaw, Smith, Armstrong, ......Parsons, LVE, Clark and Sam Williams ( Parsons pass rusher ) all on the field same time.
We will see 0 of it, like last year. The Cowboys were in nickel and dime something like 90% of the time last year.

Next year's defense is going to look exactly the same as this year's, sub Mazi.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I think Wright has issues changing direction and stop/go routes. He is really just a zone corner. Joseph has two problems. 1st he is inexperienced and second he was trying to promote Bossman Fat. Luckily the Bossman stuff is probably over. I think they should turn him into slot cornerback. He is sticky and he does not have to think to much.
He is got to earn trust with the coaches again. His quick hook suggests that they don't trust him at all. You could try him inside, but we already have 2-3 better options at this time. If Wright has everything in front of him playing deep safety, he has a better chance for success. This is the problem with these big corners, very slow in and out of their breaks.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Interesting, I would like to see the results of Wright moving to S. Yeah I agree, Lewis is on the bubble if a couple of these CBs show to be solid. I always thought Lewis could be traded moreso than released, but it doesn't matter.
Think Bland takes his starting job, will they keep a backup making that type of money? You are right, probably could get us a pick in return, but more of a day 3 one.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
He is got to earn trust with the coaches again. His quick hook suggests that they don't trust him at all. You could try him inside, but we already have 2-3 better options at this time. If Wright has everything in front of him playing deep safety, he has a better chance for success. This is the problem with these big corners, very slow in and out of their breaks.
It’s gonna be hard for Joseph to make the team. I am suggesting the slot corner because that is more see ball, get ball. Joseph won’t have to think much but you are right Lewis, Bland, and Isreal are superior players. The Cowboys don’t trust him.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Will McClay said it best. It's not often they see a DT they like that high in the draft. A guard by himself wouldn't change the OL but mazi changes the whole defense.

quickccc

Reaction score
I would include Lewis on that list as well, cause they can save 5 million for his release. Remember, Muku showed he can handle the slot if needed and he should also be on your list as he has moved to corner. Thinking Wright might move to safety.

I'm thinking we may keep Lewis.
Even as a 4th CB.

- I don't think it would be fair to Jordan to linger around with keeping him this long of an offseason by now, . if they feel they are going to part ways with his salary.
Give him a chance to well negotiate and get onto with another NFL team pre-draft.
Plus isn't there a certain time that you have to declare post-June cut of a player ?

- if you're talking about moving Wright to safety,(for sake of salvaging an ex-high pick draftee?) .. look at the log jam at safety - Kearse, Wilson, Hooker, Izzy, Bell, Coyer.
Also if you're gonna tinker with Wright to safety, do it well in the offseason and minicamps.

- CBs numbers? Diggy, Gilmore, Bland, Lewis, Scott, Goodwin .. that's 6 CBs, and that's not including Izzy who can swing to CB in an emergency pinch.
I know this is playing roster politics, but I am not for letting Joseph, Wright stick around for the sake of being 2nd/3rd rd draft picks.
If we can cut a 2 time NFL rushing champ, and 4th overall pick,.. we can cut loose bust 2nd/3rd picks.

Chago

Reaction score

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I'm thinking we may keep Lewis.
Even as a 4th CB.

- I don't think it would be fair to Jordan to linger around with keeping him this long of an offseason by now, . if they feel they are going to part ways with his salary.
Give him a chance to well negotiate and get onto with another NFL team pre-draft.
Plus isn't there a certain time that you have to declare post-June cut of a player ?

- if you're talking about moving Wright to safety,(for sake of salvaging an ex-high pick draftee?) .. look at the log jam at safety - Kearse, Wilson, Hooker, Izzy, Bell, Coyer.
Also if you're gonna tinker with Wright to safety, do it well in the offseason and minicamps.

- CBs numbers? Diggy, Gilmore, Bland, Lewis, Scott, Goodwin .. that's 6 CBs, and that's not including Izzy who can swing to CB in an emergency pinch.
I know this is playing roster politics, but I am not for letting Joseph, Wright stick around for the sake of being 2nd/3rd rd draft picks.
If we can cut a 2 time NFL rushing champ, and 4th overall pick,.. we can cut loose bust 2nd/3rd picks.
I know Muku has moved to corner this yr, but has the positional flex to play either CB or Safety. Lewis has a chance to remain due to the lack of depth at the outside corner position as Bland is our best to replace one of our starters. Believe Joseph or Wright will not make the final roster. If Scott proves he can be a strong special teamer that might kick off Goodwin's spot.

My early guess at the corner group: Diggs, Gilmore, Bland, Lewis, Scott, Muku and 1 more spot for Wright/Joseph or Goodwin.

morasp

Reaction score
Overshown could also be someone that they would put on bigger receivers like Kittle.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The thing about this kid's mindset is he was never really concerned with sacks........just playing the run and doing the dirty work of the position ( keeping his Lbers clean). I've said it takes a humbling attitude to play NT coz the total impact won't show up in the stats
Playing the run for a 229 pound linebacker is fine if you dont have to take on a blocker. But if you get a TE or a lineman on you, hes probably not going to hold up.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Playing the run for a 229 pound linebacker is fine if you dont have to take on a blocker. But if you get a TE or a lineman on you, hes probably not going to hold up.
Fred Warner was 236 pounds. It's not 1990 anymore

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Is that supposed to mean something? I dont care what era it is.........A 320 pound olineman comes at you and a 229 pound lber will get washed out.
It means a 229 pound lb is no different than a 236 pound lb lol. Wth. Thought it was pretty straightforward

Malhavoc

Reaction score
It means a 229 pound lb is no different than a 236 pound lb lol. Wth. Thought it was pretty straightforward
Overshown’s size is not an issue. Bunch of smaller LB’s have had success. And it will help that you have a 330 lb DT to protect you a bit.