The Amari Cooper countdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydla

Reaction score
They are most likely eyeing up guys in the draft and, I imagine, the way Cooper finished off last season left a bad taste all around.

This is for the best. The bigger problem is the fact we allowed Jones to walk.

As I said in another thread, imagine an offseason where you lose both Cooper and Jones. Pretty unfathomable because we spent time wondering while we could probably keep one, maybe we could keep both.

Now it would be hilarious to see them lose both. Firing Garrett was such a high but unfortunately, the excitement from that made us forget that Jerry and Stephen are still here to screw up FA.

ctrous25

Stay Classy Philly/Minny
Reaction score
Boy we’re going to have some positions that need addressing in the draft

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
They are most likely eyeing up guys in the draft and, I imagine, the way Cooper finished off last season left a bad taste all around.

This is for the best. The bigger problem is the fact we allowed Jones to walk.

I had heard the bolded before so wouldn't be surprised. I know there were injuries...at least that is what we were told...but he lacked some urgency. The Jones boys may have soured on that.

Sydla

Reaction score
I had heard the bolded before so wouldn't be surprised. I know there were injuries...at least that is what we were told...but he lacked some urgency. The Jones boys may have soured on that.

They've been trying to get him signed for a few weeks now. So I am not sure I am buying the "they soured" on him angle. Smells like excuse making in case they botch this, which is likely.

Contrast Cooper with Jones. They were pretty up front that it would be tough to bring him back. So if they were really soured on Cooper, I suspect they wouldn't have been as active in trying to resign him as they did.

mattjames2010

Reaction score

Sitting out in one of the biggest moments in the biggest game of 2019 had to have the Jones questioning his heart. I'm not saying every player has to be Terrell Owens in the Super Bowl, but there are things you just have to play through sometimes.

Look how people viewed Mariota and Cutler for leaving or sitting out important games.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Not paying Cooper and the #1 we gave up for him is a salary cap masterstroke by Stephen Jones.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
They've been trying to get him signed for a few weeks now. So I am not sure I am buying the "they soured" on him angle. Smells like excuse making in case they botch this, which is likely.

Contrast Cooper with Jones. They were pretty up front that it would be tough to bring him back. So if they were really soured on Cooper, I suspect they wouldn't have been as active in trying to resign him as they did.

I don't think this made them want to avoid Cooper completely, I however, do think it impacts the amount of money you're willing to give to a guy. At one point the Jones may have given Cooper a big contract without thinking twice, now that extra 3-4 million might be too much. Going from an elite #1 to viewed as a borderline #1 with questionable passion will do that.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
These two idiots.

So let Cooper get to the open market so some dumb team can come in and make a big offer that either makes them panic and overpay for Cooper or forces them to let him walk. And then they'll be behind the 8 ball with Jones as well who will also be fielding big offers.

So at the end of the FA period, they lose Jones, maybe lose Cooper and are dealing with a tagged Prescott who apparently won't budge now.

Well done, Jerry and Stephen. Well done.

Well, you'll like this (lol)

Sydla

Reaction score
Well, you'll like this (lol)

Saw that. Also heard locally here that Philly was likely to make a run at Jones but they are a bit surprised Cooper made it to FA so they might make a run at him instead and go with one of the 2nd tier CBs.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score

I hear you. I'm just wondering how much they are willing to put in. We used to the think the ceiling was $18 mil but the report last week mentioned $20 mil. As I said in another post, Amari is a different dude, so maybe he is more comfortable with a little less to be somewhere he likes.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Don't these other teams know that we traded away a FIRST round pick for this guy a little over 1 year ago and if we do not resign him it will make up look like a completely inept bunch of morons.

Status
Not open for further replies.