The answer: Yes, we got better

nhcowboysfan

Reaction score
We will, just not this year as its 'soft reset. I suppose that's the reason why we didn't 'waste' a pick on a RB....it looks like we liked Brooks, but no other RB was a long term solution.
I do agree that this draft is more about 2025 than this year.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Seriously evaluating a draft months before our newly acquired players even play a meaningful down in pads is premature at best. Early evaluations of drafts are simply fantasy football discussions. It takes at least a year or two to really know what a draft has done or not done for a team.

I realize we have a cottage industry of draft evaluators in the media. But no one - no “expert” all the way down to us fans have any real idea what impact this draft will have on the team’s ability to get better overall.

I liked a couple of our picks. Specifically Guyton and Bebee. But it’s extremely hard for me to say we’ve had a good off-season when our FO has still not accepted that in the cap era, roster improvement requires both a good draft and impactful free agents, along with a wise trade or two. Until the Jones family recognizes that and acts accordingly, I will remain skeptical.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
There is no way to determine if we got better simply baed on who we picked. Until we actually see what gets put on the field and how the product performs there is no guarantee that we got better.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Other threads will discuss individual draft picks. But here I'll just focus on big picture. We got bigger, tougher and stronger in the trenches on both sides of the ball. The switch from Quinn to Zimmer is also a big component, a big reason why the days of teams being able to physically dominate us are over.

Having said that, I give credit to other NFC teams, especially in the NFC East. The debate should be whether the Cowboys did enough to keep up in the NFC arms race, not whether the Cowboys took steps in the right direction.

Looking back to last season, no matter how well Dak played or how many points were scored, those games against the 49ers, Bills and Packers told me everything I needed to know. We were not physical/tough enough and the Quinn defense got exposed, albeit losing key LBers having something to do with it.

Far some satisfied, at least I feel better about the overall direction, even if it doesn't result in a deep playoff run. I won't be surprised if the team gets off to a slow start or even suffer a losing record as they face a brutal schedule. But at least I no longer feel this team is fundamentally flawed. No longer do I feel that the team will be overly dependent on Dak Prescott, whether he gets extended or not. Would love to pick up the next great RB at some point, but as long as the improved OL helps us get those 5-7 yard runs that keeps us in manageable 3rd down situations - that's what I would like to see.

Count me in as a supporter of what the Cowboys have accomplished this offseason so far!
did we?

starfan1

Reaction score
So our front office is just throwing away the 2024 season?
Seems to be a popular sentiment here or maybe hope is a better word

I myself don’t buy into that theory . Think they knew they had to get tougher on the lines and this draft reflected that

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Seems to be a popular sentiment here or maybe hope is a better word

I myself don’t buy into that theory . Think they knew they had to get tougher on the lines and this draft reflected that
I based the question “Are we just throwing away the 2024 season?” on several people on here saying this year’s draft is more about 2025 and 26. I don’t understand that thinking.

shabazz

Reaction score
Your not allowed to be positive
That's not true....didn't we all have nothing but glowing praise for the blue chip FA aquisitions the FO just made.

Anyone who wasn't positive about adding those starters should have their heads examined

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Seriously evaluating a draft months before our newly acquired players even play a meaningful down in pads is premature at best. Early evaluations of drafts are simply fantasy football discussions. It takes at least a year or two to really know what a draft has done or not done for a team.

I realize we have a cottage industry of draft evaluators in the media. But no one - no “expert” all the way down to us fans have any real idea what impact this draft will have on the team’s ability to get better overall.
Proof of this is Tom Brady - he wasn't drafted until the 6th round, #199 overall. I'm guessing there isn't a single person anywhere who can claim they knew how that would turn out. Dak, on the other hand, was drafted higher than Brady and has turned out to be nothing more than an average QB. You just can't count on the draft telling you much of anything until the players get on the field

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
I don't fault Jerruh's picks or even draft trades this year (the extra 3rd was smart)

But to say "we got better" as if that's some kind of justification of our draft doesn't make any sense.

EVERY team just added a bunch of guys that weren't on their teams as of Thursday afternoon. EVERY team got better...as every team does, every year.

The real question is, did we get (and pardon my English) MORE better than the other teams did. IMO, our improvement was average compared to other team's improvements. We didn't get any steals, like the Eagles did with Mitchel and DeJean, but we didn't take any Mazi's or Schloopmaker's either. We drafted better than we did last year, by a long shot. (Which is a VERY low bar to set)

blueblood70

Reaction score
Other threads will discuss individual draft picks. But here I'll just focus on big picture. We got bigger, tougher and stronger in the trenches on both sides of the ball. The switch from Quinn to Zimmer is also a big component, a big reason why the days of teams being able to physically dominate us are over.

Having said that, I give credit to other NFC teams, especially in the NFC East. The debate should be whether the Cowboys did enough to keep up in the NFC arms race, not whether the Cowboys took steps in the right direction.

Looking back to last season, no matter how well Dak played or how many points were scored, those games against the 49ers, Bills and Packers told me everything I needed to know. We were not physical/tough enough and the Quinn defense got exposed, albeit losing key LBers having something to do with it.

Far some satisfied, at least I feel better about the overall direction, even if it doesn't result in a deep playoff run. I won't be surprised if the team gets off to a slow start or even suffer a losing record as they face a brutal schedule. But at least I no longer feel this team is fundamentally flawed. No longer do I feel that the team will be overly dependent on Dak Prescott, whether he gets extended or not. Would love to pick up the next great RB at some point, but as long as the improved OL helps us get those 5-7 yard runs that keeps us in manageable 3rd down situations - that's what I would like to see.

Count me in as a supporter of what the Cowboys have accomplished this offseason so far!
:hammer: :thumbup:

shabazz

Reaction score
I based the question “Are we just throwing away the 2024 season?” on several people on here saying this year’s draft is more about 2025 and 26. I don’t understand that thinking.
Bob, this team is LESS experienced and less talented than last year. The AFC North teams we play alone will show you that.

This is a soft reboot and lack of movement in FA should have told you that.

All that remains is whether Dak gets the bag or not.....thar will decide the next 4 years

blueblood70

Reaction score
That will never happen why does this fan base not like watch historically even at times where the Dallas Cowboys should tank you know at the end of seasons they still play their starting quarterback and like 2020 is a good example it would have sure been nice to just lose the last four games but didn't they go three and one that hurt our draft stock but they will not tank Jerry will not ever go into that locker room and give some kind of notice to the coaches to just give up and wave the white flag that is not what jerry's about everyone knows he's about marketing right well you don't market teams that lose so he rather have a 6-9 win season then a 1-4 win season,

even though logically you might as well going all in on losing for draft purposes it just makes a lot of sense but not a lot of teams wanna tank but especially Jerry I mean if you win eight games and you don't make the playoffs you also if you win four games you don't make the playoffs, but Jerry has never tanked... He won't allow it..

blueblood70

Reaction score
The answer is no they will not I mean why would you keep Prescott and pay him $55 million against the cap if you're just gonna throw the season away that's not gonna happen there's no signs pointing to that just because people are not comfortable with the offseason I mean it's a fan thing they're not confident in the offseason so now they're saying that there's some conspiracy to try and build a bad roster and tank the season and that is not what's happening I don't see that....

We still have a core team that can make the playoffs.. A deep run I don't know that's to be determined but this team can win nine games as is and they're not done with the roster even though people think they are this is when the Cowboys get more active with the veteran free agents that are left and that are gonna be cut or traded for it and they're gonna put A at least competitive team on the field that is their goal....

blueblood70

Reaction score
EVERY NFL team got better.

That's the draft.

Now, let's talk free agency.

Sigh.....
Yeah but every team didn't win 36 games two division titles and been to the playoffs 5 out of the last eight years... The Cowboys didn't need to improve as much on paper when you look at 12 wins compared to who I mean sure everybody's getting better but some of them have a much larger gap to overcome therefore they have to be more aggressive but just about everybody I seen we just keep going back to this our own division who's the leader in spending money on free agents that would be Washington and the New York Giants and they keep finishing last and the other team who's more aggressive in Philadelphia we've beat them twice for the division so don't act like ohh well every team got better yeah some teams were really really bad and they're getting better would be trying to fight to get to 8 wins...

The Cowboys have at least kept themselves any consistent 12 win type seasons where they're competing for the division that is way different than about 28 other teams they're top six team the last three years that doesn't mean there won't be a drop off but please stop using all 32 teams as if they're all starting in the same spot no this is more like a staggered race and there are a whole lot of people playing catch up the Cowboys are only trying to catch up to like 3 teams that would be staying with Philadelphia and then trying to close the gap with the 49ers and then you could add in a handful of others maybe the lions and whatnot but seriously they're still gonna be one of the top teams in the NFC unless there is a monumental crash that nobody can actually predict just because they've done stuff the same way the last three offseasons you think it's different why do people see this offseason as any different than the one that's got us to the playoffs three straight years??

There's five months left to go there are a lot of veteran free agents that are available right now and that will become available because after the draft teams start cutting positions that they have too many and when they're trying to get their roster set there's gonna be some pretty good players that are gonna be available you do realize when you say the offseason is a side to you and I'm saying there's still five months left..

The Dallas Cowboys have always been a slow moving offseason type post draft free agent and trades to truly get the roster built. This is just who they are and I don't see how you all think somehow this offseason is different than the last two you know the one that you all deemed the historically bad offseason you know the one they also finished with twelve wins and went to the second round of the playoffs that historically bad offseason..

Gambit

Reaction score

Well stated

Malhavoc

Reaction score
As good as the record has been the last 3 years, the team always enters the off season with questions. They have never fully gotten the front 7 right. When you get to the playoffs you have to have the personnel to stop teams. I knew we were going to lose at some point because teams that run the football know we don’t have the personnel to stop them. Regardless of how we draft our lack of interest in FA is why this team is where they are.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Agreed...

to add one thing , last years draft was or seemed to be that , was more for this year but this year's draft was to get the trenches fixed and add positions we lost, most of that was accomplished. how it unfolds on the field is TBD.

shabazz

Reaction score
I do agree that this draft is more about 2025 than this year.
Agree. Anybody that thinks that last year and this year's draft class is ready for 2024 isn't being realistic.

If the FO had retained Smith, Gilmore and Biadasz AND added 2 to 3 players via free agency in their prime, it would be a different story.

blueblood70

Reaction score
As good as the record has been the last 3 years, the team always enters the off season with questions. They have never fully gotten the front 7 right. When you get to the playoffs you have to have the personnel to stop teams. I knew we were going to lose at some point because teams that run the football know we don’t have the personnel to stop them. Regardless of how we draft our lack of interest in FA is why this team is where they are.
You just described 16 teams that even have a chance to compete for the playoffs but you just described 32 teams how their offseason is always in flux I think most teams have to rebuild 17% of their roster every year you have guys who retire who are injured or that you just simply cut and give up on you have to replace them this is a constant year to year league I don't know why people don't see this stop worrying about 27 years ago, stop even worrying about last year..

literally this is a year-to-year league ,it's always a one off, it's new , you restart every year.... you don't really pick up pace from the year before that's why there's very seldom any back-to-back Super Bowl winners it's very seldom that once you lose the Super bowl that you're back there anytime soon it's really a week to week lead during the season and the year to year league it's all one off to me I look at it that way all teams are starting 0-0 nothing they did the year before is really going to matter...