The answer: Yes, we got better

shabazz

Reaction score
The answer is no they will not I mean why would you keep Prescott and pay him $55 million against the cap
They had NO choice. They are on the hook for that cap hit no matter what

This IS the issue

Malhavoc

Reaction score
Yeah but every team didn't win 36 games two division titles and been to the playoffs 5 out of the last eight years... The Cowboys didn't need to improve as much on paper when you look at 12 wins compared to who I mean sure everybody's getting better but some of them have a much larger gap to overcome therefore they have to be more aggressive but just about everybody I seen we just keep going back to this our own division who's the leader in spending money on free agents that would be Washington and the New York Giants and they keep finishing last and the other team who's more aggressive in Philadelphia we've beat them twice for the division so don't act like ohh well every team got better yeah some teams were really really bad and they're getting better would be trying to fight to get to 8 wins...

The Cowboys have at least kept themselves any consistent 12 win type seasons where they're competing for the division that is way different than about 28 other teams they're top six team the last three years that doesn't mean there won't be a drop off but please stop using all 32 teams as if they're all starting in the same spot no this is more like a staggered race and there are a whole lot of people playing catch up the Cowboys are only trying to catch up to like 3 teams that would be staying with Philadelphia and then trying to close the gap with the 49ers and then you could add in a handful of others maybe the lions and whatnot but seriously they're still gonna be one of the top teams in the NFC unless there is a monumental crash that nobody can actually predict just because they've done stuff the same way the last three offseasons you think it's different why do people see this offseason as any different than the one that's got us to the playoffs three straight years??

There's five months left to go there are a lot of veteran free agents that are available right now and that will become available because after the draft teams start cutting positions that they have too many and when they're trying to get their roster set there's gonna be some pretty good players that are gonna be available you do realize when you say the offseason is a side to you and I'm saying there's still five months left..

The Dallas Cowboys have always been a slow moving offseason type post draft free agent and trades to truly get the roster built. This is just who they are and I don't see how you all think somehow this offseason is different than the last two you know the one that you all deemed the historically bad offseason you know the one they also finished with twelve wins and went to the second round of the playoffs that historically bad offseason..
And their regular season success over the last 3 years has emboldened them. Heck if they can find someway to address the RB situation I think they’ll compete for a playoff spot. But even after adding Kneeland who I think will be a grst addition, Mazi is going to have to make a huge jump.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
The Team hasn't gotten better, they just rearranged the deck chairs. There hasn't been any significant upgrades that improved the team to take that next step, at best, we're just treading water.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
The Joneses literally could have done anything the last 3 days and wouldn't have altered this thread significantly.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Other threads will discuss individual draft picks. But here I'll just focus on big picture. We got bigger, tougher and stronger in the trenches on both sides of the ball. The switch from Quinn to Zimmer is also a big component, a big reason why the days of teams being able to physically dominate us are over.

Having said that, I give credit to other NFC teams, especially in the NFC East. The debate should be whether the Cowboys did enough to keep up in the NFC arms race, not whether the Cowboys took steps in the right direction.

Looking back to last season, no matter how well Dak played or how many points were scored, those games against the 49ers, Bills and Packers told me everything I needed to know. We were not physical/tough enough and the Quinn defense got exposed, albeit losing key LBers having something to do with it.

Far some satisfied, at least I feel better about the overall direction, even if it doesn't result in a deep playoff run. I won't be surprised if the team gets off to a slow start or even suffer a losing record as they face a brutal schedule. But at least I no longer feel this team is fundamentally flawed. No longer do I feel that the team will be overly dependent on Dak Prescott, whether he gets extended or not. Would love to pick up the next great RB at some point, but as long as the improved OL helps us get those 5-7 yard runs that keeps us in manageable 3rd down situations - that's what I would like to see.

Count me in as a supporter of what the Cowboys have accomplished this offseason so far!
Though I have been completely unplugged from the draft process, I appreciate your optimism. We shall see if this year becomes something to build upon or yet another mirage set forth by the traveling circus. I'm slightly encouraged after reading this. Bravo.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
The Team hasn't gotten better, they just rearranged the deck chairs. There hasn't been any significant upgrades that improved the team to take that next step, at best, we're just treading water.
You need to watch Cooper Beebe tape. As a pure blocker he’s better than Biadasz. How he can deal with having to snap the ball on top of that we’ll see

Malhavoc

Reaction score
When you don’t address any of the issues in FA, and then lose the level of talent that we lost, it’s impossible to do in the draft alone.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
You need to watch Cooper Beebe tape. As a pure blocker he’s better than Biadasz. How he can deal with having to snap the ball on top of that we’ll see
I have and I like the pick, but the team, as a whole hasn't improved, this off-season hasn't shown upgrades to take us to that next step. We're not building upon what we've done, we're re-building and hoping to not lose ground. This off-season hasn't moved us from being a playoff team to a serious contender.

davey999

Reaction score
I have and I like the pick, but the team, as a whole hasn't improved, this off-season hasn't shown upgrades to take us to that next step. We're not building upon what we've done, we're re-building and hoping to not lose ground. This off-season hasn't moved us from being a playoff team to a serious contender.
The team has regressed. No other way to see it.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Oh that we can all agree. But the draft did improve one position group. Theres just no depth on this team.

It would be best to go 8-9 or 7-10 and miss the playoffs to get top 20 picks in each round with all the picks we have next year. Not that comp picks are assigned by record. But another strong draft heading into 2025-26 could put the team over the top. Especially if a Shanahan run scheme comes in with this talent.

blueblood70

Reaction score
And their regular season success over the last 3 years has emboldened them. Heck if they can find someway to address the RB situation I think they’ll compete for a playoff spot. But even after adding Kneeland who I think will be a grst addition, Mazi is going to have to make a huge jump.
So you think they can't find a running back or create a run game before september??

I mean you act like this is over before five months that's when September comes and if I believe it it's probably around September 10th....

I mean they're going to find a group or a guy all over the NFL you don't really got to finish your offseason in free agency before the draft or using the draft ....they're literally going to be so many bodies available now and more to come and they have already the last three offseaons make small trades for guys like gilmore, cooks and hankins so why not a RB?

I get what you're saying, and they think that doing things the way they've been doing it has been working so they're doing it the same way and never improving,

I got it man, you guys feel that way and it may be true, but I don't believe they'll leave the running back position as it is today that's all I'm going to say.

blueblood70

Reaction score
As good as the record has been the last 3 years, the team always enters the off season with questions. They have never fully gotten the front 7 right. When you get to the playoffs you have to have the personnel to stop teams. I knew we were going to lose at some point because teams that run the football know we don’t have the personnel to stop them. Regardless of how we draft our lack of interest in FA is why this team is where they are.
This is not a lack of interest in free agency they just have always got moving after the draft there are a lot of good free agents left there's gonna be more released they're gonna do more roster building post draft as they always do I mean this is not new I'm not saying it's the right way to do it but this constant complaining for the last two months or I should say since March 14 over a conspiracy that they're tanking the season because of the way they're handling the all season this is how they've always done it.. It's not a surprise there are a lot of guys left in free agency and more will be released they will do most of their activity over the next two to three weeks the roster will look a lot different and by the time September comes then we'll really have a better idea of what the roster will look like game one..

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
This is not a lack of interest in free agency they just have always got moving after the draft there are a lot of good free agents left there's gonna be more released they're gonna do more roster building post draft as they always do I mean this is not new I'm not saying it's the right way to do it but this constant complaining for the last two months or I should say since March 14 over a conspiracy that they're tanking the season because of the way they're handling the all season this is how they've always done it.. It's not a surprise there are a lot of guys left in free agency and more will be released they will do most of their activity over the next two to three weeks the roster will look a lot different and by the time September comes then we'll really have a better idea of what the roster will look like game one..
Dallas has never waited this long to address FA. It’s usually the second week of FA with a bunch of 1 year deals. Waiting til after the draft is new for them. Assuming it’s more than just 1-2 signings that everyone does in June

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Oh that we can all agree. But the draft did improve one position group. Theres just no depth on this team.

It would be best to go 8-9 or 7-10 and miss the playoffs to get top 20 picks in each round with all the picks we have next year. Not that comp picks are assigned by record. But another strong draft heading into 2025-26 could put the team over the top. Especially if a Shanahan run scheme comes in with this talent.
Don't get me wrong, I like that they addressed the OL and looks like we have the makings for a strong unit, but so many other needs have been neglected this off-season to think the team as a whole has improved. a 12 win team should be in position to make that next step as contenders, sadly that just appear to be the case.

gtb1943

Reaction score
It continually amuses me the Jethro apologists and how they contort themselves.
Now IF Cooper can learn to snap well assuming center is where he is going I believe he will be a definite upgrade to Biadasz. Couple of if's there
Guyton needs work but the potential is there to be an excellent OL player BUT I do not see him equalling Tyron Smith so that is a downgrade
Liafu never was given a chance to settle in one spot playing one system at Notre Dame so I think given that here hopefully he can be a very good starter = now can he be as good as LVE was?
the CB and WR we got are both physically talented; now how good players they are we shall see but there is hope there
and the big trashcan full of dirt we got with Rogers might be EXACTLY what the middle of our D needs
THAT said the draft is always a crap shoot and nothing is guaranteed.
BUT given how the Jones ignored trying to get real quality in FA this team right now is not as good as it was last year. We have lost too much and not regained enough.
we MIGHT have strengthened two areas that were problems last year in Center of the O line and Center of the D line and better LB play.
RB was not strong and right now that is a problem. The OL is in turmoil so that is not good, the DL needs work as well.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
So you think they can't find a running back or create a run game before september??

I mean you act like this is over before five months that's when September comes and if I believe it it's probably around September 10th....

I mean they're going to find a group or a guy all over the NFL you don't really got to finish your offseason in free agency before the draft or using the draft ....they're literally going to be so many bodies available now and more to come and they have already the last three offseaons make small trades for guys like gilmore, cooks and hankins so why not a RB?

I get what you're saying, and they think that doing things the way they've been doing it has been working so they're doing it the same way and never improving,

I got it man, you guys feel that way and it may be true, but I don't believe they'll leave the running back position as it is today that's all I'm going to say.
I‘m probably being more optimistic than most. I think that this can be a playoff team. Let‘s say they find a RB and the group is successful. Let’s say Mazi makes a huge jump playing at his normal weight in a scheme geared to his strengths. And these rookies get on the field and really contribute. That’s a lot that has to go right.