The Argument For Drafting a QB With the 10 Pick

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Dak is not even in the same league as Brees , which show how enamored you are by dak , without any proof points . it is clouding your judgement . Every argument needs proof points. Your proof points are basically that dak is a great QB and has produced yards . But you ignore many games where he missed so many throws , and could not make the right reads or audibles and just folded once the running game fizzled out. The proof i have is his latest record last year despite the fact he benefited from the full healthy OL with zack martin and others. His record against good teams is abysmal , around 20-50 . And on top of this he was injured and was paid the second most expensive salary (although i think it is more harmful to the cap than mahomes deal which much more spread over so many year , plus he has a SB ring !!) in the game. Something is wrong here. This team needs so much help and not a decent nice QB .
The losses, again are not all on dak , nor are the wins by the way . He has a top offensive system .
Free agency has shown how much talent there is to acquire as teams have to trade or release players. Without a top 10 defense a super bowl or CCG won't happen.
OMG, you had a premature ejaculation being so emotional about Dak...I never said Dak was like Brees. I said Brees produced and he had resources....you got all twisted for nothing and went down a rabbit hole you didn't need to.

Dak produced yards and points. what else is there?

and every QB, I mean every QB misses throws. has a bad game, or a bad series or a bad quarter. show me one QB who doesn't? you want to measure Dak in a vaccum against some made up expectations. lets put all QBs against those same expectations and see how they performed!!! come on dude. you have to be smarter than that.

and Dak played with a healthy OL in one game, well even then collins was out....and then in game 2 smith went out...so what FULL HEALTHY Ol are you referring to?
and zack martin...you mean the key to success of any offense is the RG position? OMG, OMG. OMG.....I am so elated....you have discovered the key, the golden goose, the key to all football...I am going outside shouting right now...every team should just spend their highest pick and draft a RG.....baseI90 found the key to NFL offensive success...(patting you on the back, then everyone lifts you on their shoulders yelling huzzah)...come on dude.....that was a very weak argument..

and when was he not able to make the right read or audibles...I do remember one, where he and cooper decided not to listen to an asinine OC calling the same route and decided to run their own and it lead to a TD...imagine that....imagine Linehan as your OC!!! I wonder why Bilicheck didn't hire the great linehan....I mean after all ite L I N E HAN... the greatest most imaginative OC ever...

and stop it with highest paid this and second highest paid that......that's NFL......that's how it goes...2 years from now, he will have the 10th highest salary....what are you going to argue with then? seriously, of all your arguments that's the absolute weakest.....

and let me ask you a question. you avoided it in the past. if a QB doesn't win a superbowl in their first 5 years, does it mean they are not deserving of a second contract?

and please tell me how Linehan, Garrett offensive system was top? you are grasping at straws there.

this team needs a lot of DEFENSIVE help...and that's not coming through FA. you CAN NOT build a defense through FA....not doable. no amount of money is going to do it....we have to DRAFT better. if we don't draft better defensively, mahomes couldn't lead this team to a superbowl....in fact he failed at it when he had 31st ranked defense. building a top 10 defense happens through draft. not FA....

btw why aren't you complainign about Zeke, Lawrence, Jaylon or Martin contracts? you are so infatuated with Dak. and the few million extra (according to you) that he got paid!.....

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
You use the woes hate a lot . Seems very curious you accuse me . Look into that , internally . This is a sports opinion and discussion forum . I don’t hate anyone . You still have not proven Dak is worth anything close to his contract and you actually seem to think like Jerry . So we know the results will be bad .
You seem to be triggered by the word "hate". If you are interested in getting alone on a sports forum you need to learn how to translate the use of that word around here. It's used just to express not being in favor of, not really hate as an emotion. As for "proving" Dak's worth, It's not something that needs to be "proven". He's worth that much because the man that writes the checks agreed he is. Your opinion on the matter doesn't really matter so get over yourself. And then there are your wisecracks about Jerry. Jerry is a self-made billionaire. Think about that when you accuse someone else of thinking like him. It's really a compliment when you intended the opposite.

basel90

Reaction score
OMG, you had a premature ejaculation being so emotional about Dak...I never said Dak was like Brees. I said Brees produced and he had resources....you got all twisted for nothing and went down a rabbit hole you didn't need to.

Dak produced yards and points. what else is there?

and every QB, I mean every QB misses throws. has a bad game, or a bad series or a bad quarter. show me one QB who doesn't? you want to measure Dak in a vaccum against some made up expectations. lets put all QBs against those same expectations and see how they performed!!! come on dude. you have to be smarter than that.

and Dak played with a healthy OL in one game, well even then collins was out....and then in game 2 smith went out...so what FULL HEALTHY Ol are you referring to?
and zack martin...you mean the key to success of any offense is the RG position? OMG, OMG. OMG.....I am so elated....you have discovered the key, the golden goose, the key to all football...I am going outside shouting right now...every team should just spend their highest pick and draft a RG.....baseI90 found the key to NFL offensive success...(patting you on the back, then everyone lifts you on their shoulders yelling huzzah)...come on dude.....that was a very weak argument..

and when was he not able to make the right read or audibles...I do remember one, where he and cooper decided not to listen to an asinine OC calling the same route and decided to run their own and it lead to a TD...imagine that....imagine Linehan as your OC!!! I wonder why Bilicheck didn't hire the great linehan....I mean after all ite L I N E HAN... the greatest most imaginative OC ever...

and stop it with highest paid this and second highest paid that......that's NFL......that's how it goes...2 years from now, he will have the 10th highest salary....what are you going to argue with then? seriously, of all your arguments that's the absolute weakest.....

and let me ask you a question. you avoided it in the past. if a QB doesn't win a superbowl in their first 5 years, does it mean they are not deserving of a second contract?

and please tell me how Linehan, Garrett offensive system was top? you are grasping at straws there.

this team needs a lot of DEFENSIVE help...and that's not coming through FA. you CAN NOT build a defense through FA....not doable. no amount of money is going to do it....we have to DRAFT better. if we don't draft better defensively, mahomes couldn't lead this team to a superbowl....in fact he failed at it when he had 31st ranked defense. building a top 10 defense happens through draft. not FA....

btw why aren't you complainign about Zeke, Lawrence, Jaylon or Martin contracts? you are so infatuated with Dak. and the few million extra (according to you) that he got paid!.....

This team will not go anywhere without fixing the defense , draft or FA or trades. paying a decent QB 41 mil will not help , it will hurt all these verticals.
Zeke is absolutely a waste of so much money it is not even a conversation . Jaylon is weak , and Dlaw is too expensive for what he produces. So there is a lot of blame on who selected these guys as they should have been released , besides LVE , who is just not healthy to be paid what his contract is. He is basically a bust now .

Back to dak , he has not made enough plays or comebacks and has not proven himself as a top 10 QB yet. when you say brees has talent around him, brees has a SB as proof . dak has nothing to show. dak is maybe top 14-17 . but his play is mediocre against good teams and his contract hurts the cap.

basel90

Reaction score
You seem to be triggered by the word "hate". If you are interested in getting alone on a sports forum you need to learn how to translate the use of that word around here. It's used just to express not being in favor of, not really hate as an emotion. As for "proving" Dak's worth, It's not something that needs to be "proven". He's worth that much because the man that writes the checks agreed he is. Your opinion on the matter doesn't really matter so get over yourself. And then there are your wisecracks about Jerry. Jerry is a self-made billionaire. Think about that when you accuse someone else of thinking like him. It's really a compliment when you intended the opposite.
you are delusional and trying to sound smart. get over it.

basel90

Reaction score
Because at his age TB wanted a team that could contend right away, and he had no reason to hitch his wagon to the bumbling Jones boys.

Take off the silver and blue goggles. He was never coming to Dallas, and he never will (except to win another football game for his team).
could be true. am sure the situation in dallas FO is an issue for TB.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
you are delusional and trying to sound smart. get over it.
Now you're triggered by my intelligence. For your sake, I didn't use any big words so I don't understand why you would think I'm trying to "sound smart". Maybe you're just not used to reading proper English grammar. My public education of the '70s and '80s is far superior to what the kids get today so I understand your intimidation. ;)

basel90

Reaction score
Now you're triggered by my intelligence. For your sake, I didn't use any big words so I don't understand why you would think I'm trying to "sound smart". Maybe you're just not used to reading proper English grammar. My public education of the '70s and '80s is far superior to what the kids get today so I understand your intimidation. ;)
you are funny

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
This team will not go anywhere without fixing the defense , draft or FA or trades. paying a decent QB 41 mil will not help , it will hurt all these verticals.
Zeke is absolutely a waste of so much money it is not even a conversation . Jaylon is weak , and Dlaw is too expensive for what he produces. So there is a lot of blame on who selected these guys as they should have been released , besides LVE , who is just not healthy to be paid what his contract is. He is basically a bust now .

Back to dak , he has not made enough plays or comebacks and has not proven himself as a top 10 QB yet. when you say brees has talent around him, brees has a SB as proof . dak has nothing to show. dak is maybe top 14-17 . but his play is mediocre against good teams and his contract hurts the cap.
I can't agree more on the defense. we have to fix it and we have to fix it through the draft. if we don't fix that problem, then we are not going anywhere and are only hope is the offense...

Dak at 41 or Dak at 35 as you have said in the past, ain't making a difference in money available to sign impact FAs.....

and thus we are paying more on the cap for three players that don't produce. get rid of those and you have your cap space.....

btw, Dak had the highest number of come back wins in the NFL through his first 4 years. so not sure what your comment about not having enough come backs. its been proven that Dak makes more plays than most QBs and he is on par with the top 10 in the league and better in many aspects. he has proven more than enough that he is defintley a top 10 QB and some even say on the verge of stardom in the league.....

Brees had talent. and what he did was maximize that offensive talent. he also had a great coach , not a red headed step child called garrett who had a penchant to pull loss from jaws of victory including icing his own kicker...give Brees Garrett and the story would be the same.

every Dak stat points to him being in the top 10 and in many top 5. so this he is a 14-17 range is total opinion on your part, given none of the facts support your opinion, but you are welcome to your opinion.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Playing devil's advocate, okay?

Please no insults and no references to my intelligence or lack thereof.....Nah, never mind!...Asking for mercy is just pouring gasoline on a fire.

Three times in the past 11 seasons the starting QB went down early in the season and it was all over, crash and burn. It would have been four seasons but a fourth round draft choice miraculously had one of the best rookie seasons in history, who expected that?

The Cowboys rolled out a slew of backups, mostly average quarterbacks when they were in their prime. Sometimes they were on one year contracts meaning that, even if they had a good showing, they were gone the following season.

Why not kill two birds with one stone? Draft a top tier QB, if the starter goes down, the rookie gets experience. He could be a legitimate starter the following season in which case the Cowboys trade one of them. Furthermore, when a player gets paid they seem to have the tendency to play soft that season. A legitimate talent backing him up could put a little fire to Dak's backside.

The rookie salary cap allows the Cowboys to draft a QB in the top ten, I think.

You could draft a productive non-QB player in the top ten but what difference would that make if Dak is injured again or if he performs poorly? Look at the value of good young quarterbacks these days. If the Cowboys cultivate a young QB while he serves as a quality backup, the Cowboys could end up with a trade reaping great value for their future.

Look at the history of the Cowboys successful seasons. Where there not two legitimate starters?....Lebaron/Meredith...Staubach/Morton....Staubach/White....Even Roger Staubach once revealed that a reason for his success was how hard he competed with Danny White, knowing how good his competition was. Jimmy Johnson drafted two QB's #1 overall in his first season, giving up the #1 overall pick in 1990 for taking Steve Walsh in the supplemental draft. Jimmy valued competition.

Ok....let 'er rip!

I admire your courage to create this thread.

basel90

Reaction score
I can't agree more on the defense. we have to fix it and we have to fix it through the draft. if we don't fix that problem, then we are not going anywhere and are only hope is the offense...

Dak at 41 or Dak at 35 as you have said in the past, ain't making a difference in money available to sign impact FAs.....

and thus we are paying more on the cap for three players that don't produce. get rid of those and you have your cap space.....

btw, Dak had the highest number of come back wins in the NFL through his first 4 years. so not sure what your comment about not having enough come backs. its been proven that Dak makes more plays than most QBs and he is on par with the top 10 in the league and better in many aspects. he has proven more than enough that he is defintley a top 10 QB and some even say on the verge of stardom in the league.....

Brees had talent. and what he did was maximize that offensive talent. he also had a great coach , not a red headed step child called garrett who had a penchant to pull loss from jaws of victory including icing his own kicker...give Brees Garrett and the story would be the same.

every Dak stat points to him being in the top 10 and in many top 5. so this he is a 14-17 range is total opinion on your part, given none of the facts support your opinion, but you are welcome to your opinion.
I also agree totally about coaching and the dead money on underperforming expensive players like zeke and smith and Lve and probably DLaw as well who has been a disappointment given his cap hit .

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I also agree totally about coaching and the dead money on underperforming expensive players like zeke and smith and Lve and probably DLaw as well who has been a disappointment given his cap hit .
we didn't pick up LVE's fifth year option, so that tells us a lot what they think of him. I think Jaylon needs to change his role, more of a pass rusher and run defender. he is defintley not a 3 down LB at this point of his career and obviously still limited by his injury. I never ever advocate paying a RB. you can always draft one or two and be fine. its the easiest position to replace. waste of money on zeke. I think DLaw is a good run defender. great locker room guy, but he needs to bring more sacks and QB hits and pressures for the 20M he makes....I didn't want to resign Martin. love the guy. love the attitude. love the game. but we don't need the highest paid guard in the league. you don't go to superbowls because you have the best guard. money should be spent on LT and then RT and center, not guards.....right there, is a whole bunch of money, the only problem we don't draft well, so we don't have anyone on the team we would like to pay and keep on defense....we have to draft better on the defensive side or this team will hover around 7-10 to 10-7 for the foreseeable future.

basel90

Reaction score
we didn't pick up LVE's fifth year option, so that tells us a lot what they think of him. I think Jaylon needs to change his role, more of a pass rusher and run defender. he is defintley not a 3 down LB at this point of his career and obviously still limited by his injury. I never ever advocate paying a RB. you can always draft one or two and be fine. its the easiest position to replace. waste of money on zeke. I think DLaw is a good run defender. great locker room guy, but he needs to bring more sacks and QB hits and pressures for the 20M he makes....I didn't want to resign Martin. love the guy. love the attitude. love the game. but we don't need the highest paid guard in the league. you don't go to superbowls because you have the best guard. money should be spent on LT and then RT and center, not guards.....right there, is a whole bunch of money, the only problem we don't draft well, so we don't have anyone on the team we would like to pay and keep on defense....we have to draft better on the defensive side or this team will hover around 7-10 to 10-7 for the foreseeable future.
Very true . Between the zeke debacle of a pick at 4th and his absurd contract , plus LVE , , smith Dlaw and Martin cap hits , we are looking at almost 40% of the team cap on mediocre producers .
Not sure what will happen next season , I have hope Quinn can manage the situation on the defense and elevate their play until new talent arrrives via the draft or FA once some of bad contracts expire .

KB1122

Reaction score
If one of them falls, and that's probably likely - because the mock drafts go all in on quarterback prospects and then the real draft goes closer to the order that scouts have been putting together for years - which quarterback would you actually consider taking at #10 if he's there?

Let's take out Lawrence and Wilson.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Very true . Between the zeke debacle of a pick at 4th and his absurd contract , plus LVE , , smith Dlaw and Martin cap hits , we are looking at almost 40% of the team cap on mediocre producers .
Not sure what will happen next season , I have hope Quinn can manage the situation on the defense and elevate their play until new talent arrrives via the draft or FA once some of bad contracts expire .
oh, I am with you on the zeke pick. who takes a RB 4th because they can be a HOFer (which was the excuse at the time). teams don't need HOF RBs to win. nobody does any more. hopefully this is the last year of zeke, time to get rid of that contract. we couldn't afford to cut him this year and given defensive needs, not able to. this is the last of LVE unless he balls out. but somehow I doubt it. Jerry you know.

I think we should draft T. Smith's replacement this year, perhaps not with the first pick, but perhaps with one of the first 3. Smith has been injured every year over the past 5 years, so it will be the same again this year. when he plays healthy he is dominant but he is on the sideline too often and is playing injured too often.

doubt we can cut all of them in one year, but probably a 2 year process.

I think Quinn will help. Nolan's defensive scheme was way too complicated needing all 11 player to make critical decisions and someone made the wrong one every play. Quinn's system is simpler so that alone should help. the slight improvement we saw from the defense at the end of the year was smoke and mirrors having played against bad teams and their back up QBs. adding some talent from draft should help. I don't expect an average middle of the pack defense, probably a bottom 25% but better in some areas, more consistent in others....hopefully

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Success rates in the first round are pretty atrocious. Less than half of first round QBs manage a single 4000 yd or 24 TD season. Those are pretty low bars for success.

On top of that, almost half don’t even make it to a second contract.

Sevenup3000

Reaction score
If Dak would have put together some drives in the first half of those games, maybe they wouldn’t have been blow outs. The only reason Dak beat Atlanta was due to their special teams screw-up. There is nothing to indicate that a Dak would have won more games than Dalton, unless you buy in to they dreams of the Dak- lovers and those dreams have no dreams to back it up. If you really want to look at the facts, Dak has been horrible in the first half of games for the last couple of seasons. His stats have been accumulated when the defense was relaxed and the game was out of reach. As a Dak’s stats have increased , the number of losses have decreased every year which happens when stats don’t translate to wins. To top it off, Dak doesn’t have a good record at all when facing teams with winning records.

Like seriously...do you people not have any shame? You have been wrong at every conceivable turn about Dak, yet you continue to be on here yapping more crap about Dak?

Do people like you even have shame?

lqmac1

Reaction score
If there is a legitimate franchise QB available, they would be dumb to pass him up. Anything other than taking a TE.
So taking a TE is dumber than taking a quarterback after you just signed your “franchise QB” to a $40 million deal? Lol

basel90

Reaction score
oh, I am with you on the zeke pick. who takes a RB 4th because they can be a HOFer (which was the excuse at the time). teams don't need HOF RBs to win. nobody does any more. hopefully this is the last year of zeke, time to get rid of that contract. we couldn't afford to cut him this year and given defensive needs, not able to. this is the last of LVE unless he balls out. but somehow I doubt it. Jerry you know.

I think we should draft T. Smith's replacement this year, perhaps not with the first pick, but perhaps with one of the first 3. Smith has been injured every year over the past 5 years, so it will be the same again this year. when he plays healthy he is dominant but he is on the sideline too often and is playing injured too often.

doubt we can cut all of them in one year, but probably a 2 year process.

I think Quinn will help. Nolan's defensive scheme was way too complicated needing all 11 player to make critical decisions and someone made the wrong one every play. Quinn's system is simpler so that alone should help. the slight improvement we saw from the defense at the end of the year was smoke and mirrors having played against bad teams and their back up QBs. adding some talent from draft should help. I don't expect an average middle of the pack defense, probably a bottom 25% but better in some areas, more consistent in others....hopefully
The zeke pick and contract saga and capitulation is so painful and reminiscent of Jerry’s mode of operation . He makes the same mistakes again and again . LVE probably done and was a risk given his medical history . Hoping Quinn puts a cohesive unit and gives the offense a chance to win games . Eagles should be down , and the giants are mediocre . Commanders don’t have a good offense yet . Hopefully the cowboys take advantage.