Video: The Art Of The (playoff) Choke

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
A "choke" is when the outcome of the game is determined by a series of plays or even a single play late in the game. The play absolutely has to be made. However, a particular player, usually the quarterback, fails to make that play.

What's important to the concept is that the player had the opportunity to make that play but he was unable to do so, typically due to a lack of poise. He was overwhelmed by the critical nature of the consequences.

If a team is down by three TD's by the 3rd quarter then this loss is not a "choke". It cannot be attributed to a single player.

A classic example of a choke would be having the ball on the opponent's five yard line, down by 5 points with 4 seconds left and the QB throws an INT in the endzone.
So rams game not a.choke.
SF two years ago not a choke.
GB a complete choke.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I haven’t seen anyone excuse him of all blame. He’s had his struggles but it’s our defense that’s killing us in the playoffs. When you have a player admitting the defense quit against GB, it’s obvious where the main problem is.
When your defense gives up 250 yards rushing. Over a 100 in first half. That's the defense getting owned

GINeric

Reaction score
That’s fine but what does that have to do w Dak? As I said, that’s a separate topic. If you want to change topics and discuss whether Rodgers is all he’s cracked up to be then we can do that too but that isn’t the topic here

Well.... someone said that mentioning the TEAM falling short is an excuse when it comes to Dak not winning championships/not winning in the playoffs.

While Dak is PARTLY at fault for our lack of success, it's not solely on him and other teammates and coaches failing at their job is not an excuse, it's reality.

So usually when I bring up other quarterbacks who have fallen short, they're given explanations to back them up. For Dak in the same situation, it's called an excuse.

Do you see the hypocrisy in all this?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
What you’re saying is what you believe which is utter nonsense. The players liked playing for Quinn and he would still be here if he didn’t take the Washington job.
I'm done with your nonsense. I'm not here to hear it. Welcome to my ignore list.

88sAndHeartbreak

Reaction score
No he didn’t. He kept saying the team, the defense, he never answered if dak was tight or not. Because then he’d have to admit regardless of the defense he was tight.
Its not cut and dry as a yes or no answer. Details matter in winning games and he outlined them.

Anyone bashing Dak and ignoring the details is very short sighted... including the guy original video.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Because he’s been the best QB we’ve had since Troy Aikman and he’s had to shoulder a lot of the load due to the teams inconsistencies. I’ve seen him play some great games we’ve lost because of our defense. He’s had some great plays called back because of stupid penalties. He put up over 400 yards with 3 TDs against Tampa in 2021 on the road and we lost because our defense choked with the game on the line. He completed 42 passes in that game against a great defense and we lost because we couldn’t make a damn stop. If you think he’s a choker you must not have watched Romo.
Romo was 10x the qb that slak is.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Its not cut and dry as a yes or no answer. Details matter in winning games and he outlined them.

Anyone bashing Dak and ignoring the details is very short sighted... including the guy original video.
He pointed out that Dak isnt tight when the defense plays well.

I literally pointed out that he had opportunites to win games when the ball was in his hands when the defense was playing well and he couldnt capitilize. Its not about being cut and dry. Its about the fact that Dak tightened up. You dont lead the number 1 offense in football and then not produce in the playoffs when the defense gives you an opportunity to win if you arent playing tight. No where do I put the blame solely on Dak. Simply pointing out that he tightens up.

JBS

Reaction score
Well.... someone said that mentioning the TEAM falling short is an excuse when it comes to Dak not winning championships/not winning in the playoffs.

While Dak is PARTLY at fault for our lack of success, it's not solely on him and other teammates and coaches failing at their job is not an excuse, it's reality.

So usually when I bring up other quarterbacks who have fallen short, they're given explanations to back them up. For Dak in the same situation, it's called an excuse.

Do you see the hypocrisy in all this?
You can’t compare a champion to Dak. It doesn’t work. Use j. Allen or Lamar or anybody else without a ring. Not Rodgers.

As far as the other players / pieces of this team falling short in big moments. Yes, that is true. But that doesn’t change anything. Dak still has failed individually. Just bc others on this team have failed too doesn’t mean Dak hasn’t failed. They’re separate topics. Dak has failed in every big game he’s played in, just about. There is no excuse for that.

Take J. Allen v Kc when they lost. You are arguing as if the rest of the team let Dak down like the rest of the bulls let Josh Allen down. He played great and they still lost. Dak hasn’t played that well and lost. He’s played crap bad lost. It’s not the same. The criticism for Dak wouldn’t be what it is if he has performed well. He hasn’t. That’s the bottom line. And not even close to performing well, that’s how bad he’s been.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
The video is focusing entirely on Dak but nothing said about our defensive performances which have been the number one reason why we keep faltering in the playoffs. The dope who put together that video obviously doesn’t have much of a clue or doesn’t follow the Cowboys if he thinks our playoff woes fall entirely on Dak. Funny that he brings up the next generation of QBs and shows a clip of Josh Allen who’s had his share of playoff struggles.
The defense was injured and was not the "strength of the team"...Dak is paid the most, was MVP-runner up and is the veteran QB. Why is it that anyone tries to hold Dak accountable, his apologists start pointering and sputtering at everyone else? Tells you something...

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The defense was injured and was not the "strength of the team"...Dak is paid the most, was MVP-runner up and is the veteran QB. Why is it that anyone tries to hold Dak accountable, his apologists start pointering and sputtering at everyone else? Tells you something...
The defense was injured? :rolleyes: Every team has a few injuries. Can’t believe some of you keep making excuses for the defense. There’s another fan saying the defense was tired. lol Everyone has put some of the blame on Dak but most of this fan base is putting the entire blame on him. That’s the issue I have.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Yall know two things can be true at the same time right?

The defense and the QB can both play bad in a game. As a matter of fact, that’s how blowouts happen.

Yes the defense was awful against Green Bay. But the QB can’t throw 2 picks in the first half, one being a pick 6 and the other being deep in your own territory. Thats not going to win playoff games against good teams.

He kept throwing picks against the Niners in games that were within striking distance of winning. Those things matter. They matter big time.

Dak hasn’t been good in the playoffs in years. Other than the Bucs game.