Video: The Art Of The (playoff) Choke

phildadon86

Reaction score
Dak wouldn’t play so tight if our defense would step up and not put us in a hole on the oppositions opening drive. When our defense plays well during the regular season so has Dak. Once we get behind and the defense is struggling he starts to press. We saw the same thing with Romo and it leads to turnovers.
So.

Why was Dak tight when the D showed up against San Fran both times?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Bro..come on.

Two INT's, one was a pick 6, the other was inside our own 20. He took a sack that took us out of FG range down 14-0 and he overthrew Lamb on 3rd and 8 when we were were down 7-0 after the Defense held them.

Stop the insanity
He made mistakes but our defense couldn’t hold them to a FG. They kept scoring TDs. Purdy had turnovers against Detroit that led to his team getting way behind but his defense stepped including their best defensive player. Our best defensive player was a no show just like the rest of our defense. We were down 7-0 before our offense ever saw the ball.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
So.

When did our D show up against SF both times? How is giving up 169 yards rushing with no sacks, showing up defensively? Our defense was respectable in only one of those games.

Brooksey

Reaction score
Because he’s been the best QB we’ve had since Troy Aikman and he’s had to shoulder a lot of the load due to the teams inconsistencies. I’ve seen him play some great games we’ve lost because of our defense. He’s had some great plays called back because of stupid penalties. He put up over 400 yards with 3 TDs against Tampa in 2021 on the road and we lost because our defense choked with the game on the line. He completed 42 passes in that game against a great defense and we lost because we couldn’t make a damn stop. If you think he’s a choker you must not have watched Romo.
The fact that you think he's the best since Aikman doesn't make him clutch in the playoffs.

JBS

Reaction score
Like I said.... you never answered any of the questions and they all weren't about Dak. I asked about Rodgers, Mahomes, Nick Foles, and Dilpher.

You dodged them. It's ok though, I knew you would. That's why I set you up with those questions.
Putting Rodgers on the same level as those others isn’t relevant to the topic at hand. The topic is Dak and never winning v QBs that have won. Not QBs that have won v QBs that have won. And you want to talk about changing goalposts lol

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The fact that you think he's the best since Aikman doesn't make him clutch in the playoffs.
Never said he was clutch in the playoffs. I’m telling you no QB is going to have playoff success until we build a great playoff defense. It’s going to be the same issues with every QB until we build better teams/defenses that show up in the playoffs. Aikman was 0-2 in his last couple of playoff appearances because we didn’t have good enough teams. One of those playoff losses was at home to a Jake Plummer led Cardinals team. Aikman got booed because fans were pinning it all on him.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Not trying to compare Dak to Dan Marino so don’t get it twisted but how clutch was he in the playoffs? Marino was 8-10 in the playoffs despite being one of the greatest QBs ever. His winning percentage in the regular season was one of the best. The problem wasn’t him it was the teams. No running game and defensive issues. Everything got thrown on his shoulders against better playoff teams.

phildadon86

Reaction score
When did our D show up against SF both times? How is giving up 169 yards rushing with no sacks, showing up defensively? Our defense was respectable in only one of those games.
The defense allowed 19 points and 23 points. Thats not hard to overcome when you have the number one offense in football is it?

Dak put up a whopping 29 points in both games combined.

Your argument of him being tight in the playoffs is the defenses fault is insane.

GINeric

Reaction score
Putting Rodgers on the same level as those others isn’t relevant to the topic at hand. The topic is Dak and never winning v QBs that have won. Not QBs that have won v QBs that have won. And you want to talk about changing goalposts lol

Putting Rodgers name with those others outside of Dak is very relevant.

Rodgers has one Superbowl win. The same amount as Dilpher and Foles. Is that a lie?

75boyz

Reaction score
This is a case of 2 independent issues being true at the same time.
1 independent truth: Dak plays “tight” in the playoffs.

2nd independent truth: our defense plays bad in the playoffs.

Me personally, I feel Dak, CD and Micah are more flash than substance. All 3 are regular season stat padders and POOF, gone, David Copperfield disappearing acts in the playoffs and against top competition. This is why I don’t want to sign any of them to long term deals. They’re not gamers, they don’t rise to the occasion, they shrink under the spotlight. This is why I feel paying these guys top dollar will cripple the franchise. What’s the point of great players that disappear in the playoffs?

Dak is a choker. But independent of that so is CD, Micah, McCarthy and the defense. I don’t mind us purging the roster of these guys I just wish we weren’t throwing away 2024 to do it. Just do it now.
Super outstanding post bro.
Multiple likes from me.
Hammer to nail head.

JBS

Reaction score
Putting Rodgers name with those others outside of Dak is very relevant.

Rodgers has one Superbowl win. The same amount as Dilpher and Foles. Is that a lie?
That’s fine but what does that have to do w Dak? As I said, that’s a separate topic. If you want to change topics and discuss whether Rodgers is all he’s cracked up to be then we can do that too but that isn’t the topic here

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The defense allowed 19 points and 23 points. Thats not hard to overcome when you have the number one offense in football is it?

Dak put up a whopping 29 points in both games combined.

Your argument of him being tight in the playoffs is the defenses fault is insane.
Like I’ve repeatedly said he was terrible in the 2022 SF playoff game. Our defense may have only allowed 23 points in the 2021 game but because we gave up 169 rushing yards SF controlled the ball which kept our offense on the sidelines. Hard to score when your defense can’t get the opposing offense off the field on 3rd down or get a single sack. Despite our defensive struggles we still had a chance to tie the game in the end but ran out of time. Pinning that loss entirely on Dak is ridiculous! Unless we build better teams nothing will change with our next QB and it will likely get worse.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Like I’ve repeatedly said he was terrible in the 2022 SF playoff game. Our defense may have only allowed 23 points in the 2021 game but because we gave up 169 rushing yards SF controlled the ball which kept our offense on the sidelines. Hard to score when your defense can’t get the opposing offense off the field on 3rd down or get a single sack. Despite our defensive struggles we still had a chance to tie the game in the end but ran out of time. Pinning that loss entirely on Dak is ridiculous! Unless we build better teams nothing will change with our next QB and it will likely get worse.
You keep spinning this.

You said hes tight because of the defense.

Dak had plenty of drives to get more than the 19 points allowed by the Dallas D. He failed.

To me. That makes him the definition of tight, and it wasnt the defense fault.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
So.

The argument the video makes is the offense is playing tight. Dak playing tight I don’t get. He never did it early in his career. That was one of the endearing things about him is there wasn’t moment too big for him…..that quality seems to be gone…

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You keep spinning this.

You said hes tight because of the defense.

Dak had plenty of drives to get more than the 19 points allowed by the Dallas D. He failed.

To me. That makes him the definition of tight, and it wasnt the defense fault.
I said when we get behind in big games he presses. Same thing happened with Romo. You stopped mentioning the 2021 playoff loss to SF in which you claimed the defense was fine when I pointed out how bad it was. Just because you give only 23 points doesn’t mean your defense played well. Now you’re focusing on the 2022 playoff loss to SF when I already said Dak was terrible in that game. I pinned the loss on him. You’re just wasting time.

phildadon86

Reaction score
I said when we get behind in big games he presses. Same thing happened with Romo. You stopped mentioning the 2021 playoff loss to SF in which you claimed the defense was fine when I pointed out how bad it was. Just because you give only 23 points doesn’t mean your defense played well. Now you’re focusing on the 2022 playoff loss to SF when I already said Dak was terrible in that game. I pinned the loss on him. You’re just wasting time.
He had opportunites to score.

He was tight and didnt.

You can re watch the game if you like. 2021. He had opportunties and failed.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He had opportunites to score.

He was tight and didnt.

You can re watch the game if you like. 2021. He had opportunties and failed.
He didn’t have enough opportunities because SF controlled the ball. Their plan was to keep our offense off the field with their great defense. Dak didn’t play great in that game but statistically he was better than Jimmy G. We couldn’t run the ball. They dominated us in the trenches. Zeke only had 31 yards averaging 2.6. Dak had to run for his life in that game. He rushed for 27 yards and was sacked 5 times. Everything around him failed! You need to re watch the game. Just like against the Packers we were down 7-0 before Dak ever saw the field.

phildadon86

Reaction score
He didn’t have enough opportunities because SF controlled the ball. Their plan was to keep our offense off the field with their great defense. Dak didn’t play great in that game but statistically he was better than Jimmy G. We couldn’t run the ball. They dominated us in the trenches. Zeke only had 31 yards averaging 2.6. Dak had to run for his life in that game. He rushed for 27 yards and was sacked 5 times. Everything around him failed! You need to re watch the game. Just like against the Packers we were down 7-0 before Dak ever saw the field.
So was he or was he not tight in that game?

That is the original question.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I love this thread!

im-here-opening-chair.gif