The band Van Halen

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Rolling Stone: Inside a Superfan's Secret Friendship with Eddie Van Halen

Over the last five years of his life, the rock icon had a clandestine correspondence with a former music journalist, spilling gossip, gripes, hopes, fears — and revealing himself like never before.

By BLAIR R. FISCHER

JULY 3, 2022

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/eddie-van-halen-secret-friendship-emails-1367678/
The last time I heard them play, they were awful. In hindsight, Van Halen was one of the most overrated bands of my time...

Eddie even claimed to have invented tapping, which is laughable and shows what a delusional egomaniac he was....

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Rolling Stone: Inside a Superfan's Secret Friendship with Eddie Van Halen

Over the last five years of his life, the rock icon had a clandestine correspondence with a former music journalist, spilling gossip, gripes, hopes, fears — and revealing himself like never before.

By BLAIR R. FISCHER

JULY 3, 2022

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/eddie-van-halen-secret-friendship-emails-1367678/
enjoyed reading the email thing.
apparently roth caused some issues. and he left the band which was a mistake.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
The last time I heard them play, they were awful. In hindsight, Van Halen was one of the most overrated bands of my time...

Eddie even claimed to have invented tapping, which is laughable and shows what a delusional egomaniac he was....
The times I saw them play from 79 to 84 we're outstanding live shows

Edward never claimed to have invented it.
Overrated?
Thats funny every time i saw them from 79-84 they were an amazing live band that no one at the time could touch.
In 07 and 12 i will admit they were a shadow of what they were in their youth.
Sounds to me like you just hate them.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
apparently roth caused some issues. and he left the band which was a mistake.
Some? Many is more like it.

He left the band because of Edward changing VH's style of music. He didn't want keyboards and VH did.

During that time it was clear the breakup was going to happen. It was just a matter of when and I was surprised they lasted as long as they did.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score

He left the band because of Edward changing VH's style of music. He didn't want keyboards and VH did.

During that time it was clear the breakup was going to happen. It was just a matter of when and I was surprised they lasted as long as they did.
Yep, on the 1984 tour they pretty much hated each other. They even forced Michael Anthony to sign away his royalties from the 1984 album, its strange reading about a band you worshipped decades ago and finding out how dysfunctional they really were.

triplets_93

Reaction score
I never cared for Van Hagar, ever. I was a solo Sammy fan, and saw him before he joined Van Halen. Props to the Van Halens for putting up with DLR's shtick, and doing that final tour.

Listening to the CVH studio albums, it was NEVER about the "Persona" DLR. It was about THE MUSIC and the VOCALS, which you could actually hear being "sung" on the albums...

DandyDon52

Reaction score
anyone have any youtube links for concerts on tour for 1st few albums.
I found parts of the 82 oakland concert, but not all of it. It was pretty good.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
anyone have any youtube links for concerts on tour for 1st few albums.
I found parts of the 82 oakland concert, but not all of it. It was pretty good.
You aren't going to find a lot out there, at least not that's official. Mainly bits and pieces of 78/79 tours, amateur recordings basically. Shame there isn't more.
This is from 78

Mannix

Reaction score
I just stumbled onto this thread....anyone else go to this? It was nutz!!! There were two sets of barriers with porta potties in between for staff, cops, city volunteers, etc...told a cop I had to pee real bad and he let me go under the barrier and go....I could see him through the vent at the top of the porta potty....the second his head turned, I flew out of the porta potty and went under the other set of barriers and disappeared into the front section....was about 10 rows from the stage. OMG....32 years ago already. Sigh.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score

Back in the day before the drama started, and at the height of 1984, a lot of us were convinced that "Van Halen 1986" was going to blow the roof off the business and be an all time top 10 seller.

I'd like to think there's an alternate universe where that came to pass.