The Best High School Athlete?

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
I heard earlier on the Talking Cowboys show where they were taking calls about the best athlete to come out of their high school. I thought it would be cool and also break the usual Pacman, Ware and defense threads.

So who is the best athlete to come from your high school?

Only three have come from mine, (as far as I know):
Koy Detmer
Tito Santana ( the wrestler)
Tom Landry.

How about you?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Me.

Just kidding.

Sadly the best from my high school has a tragic end. His name was Chava Guitierrez and he was the best baseball player I have ever seen. As a Sr. he had batting average that was something like .696. Yes, that high. It is the all time HS record.

He was arrested on the baseball field while in college. The police came right on the field to put him in handcuffs. Drugs and murder.

BTW, the best HS athlete ever would be Ken Hall of Sugarland High in Texas. Never heard of him? Look him up. It will blow you away.

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
Aaron Lewis. He is a DE that goes to UT right now. My highschool is not that old though. I was the 12th graduating class I think and I'm only 19.

La Cueva Bears Albuquerque New Mexico. Our baseball team olds the longest winning streak in the nation though.

jwitten82

Reaction score
Kerry Cooks
Carrie Barton
Kevin McCullar
Marcus King
Michael Huff

Clarkson

Wonderboyromo
Reaction score
Gary Williams, the coach of the Maryland Terrapins and Jonny Dempsey, the LB for Louisville. I would be surprised if he doesn't get some national attention this year. He was just a freak athlete for every sport.

Brandon Whittington is WR/DB at Purdue. He hasn't been too great in college, but in high school he was pretty insane.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
James Dixon... played for the Boys and was on their roster in Tecmo Super Bowl.

And more recently, Bernard Scott. Senior RB for Abilene Christian right now. Was the runner up player of the year in D-II last season and prohibitive favorite this year. I'm expecting him to get a shot with someone in the league.

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
As far as my hometown...

Prob the most well known high school athelete, from my high school, Abilene High, would be John Lackey... pitcher for the Angels

Our cross town rivals Cooper High produced Dominic Rhodes RB for the Colts. I watched Dominic and the Cooper Cougars in the Texas 5-A state championship battle Drew Brees for the state title and Drew Brees' Austin Westlake High won in Texas Stadium.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Bill Bradley
Played at UT. The first wishbone QB before moving over to defense. Played for the Eagles in the NFL.

Guy Brown
Brief career with the Cowboys

Ivory Lee Brown
Led the World League in rushing. Played very briefly for the Cardinals

Adrian Peterson
I think he plays for the Vikings. ;)

jcollins28

Reaction score
Anthony Muñoz This guy is awesome! Every year we had new uniforms and he would come in every year and not only talk to us football players but everyone on campus.

Jon Keyworth Played for Denver Broncos

Hal Reniff Yankee/Mets picther

Hobie Alter surfer/inventor

Bonnie Warner, Olympic luger

FolsomCowboy

Reaction score
Mr Cowboy;2324247 said:
I heard earlier on the Talking Cowboys show where they were taking calls about the best athlete to come out of their high school. I thought it would be cool and also break the usual Pacman, Ware and defense threads.

So who is the best athlete to come from your high school?

Only three have come from mine, (as far as I know):
Koy Detmer
Tito Santana ( the wrestler)
Tom Landry.

How about you?

Well you went to Mission, wasn't there a couple of WR's that were awesome back in the Detmer era

cowboys2233

Reaction score
joseephuss;2324293 said:
Bill Bradley
Played at UT. The first wishbone QB before moving over to defense. Played for the Eagles in the NFL.

Guy Brown
Brief career with the Cowboys

Ivory Lee Brown
Led the World League in rushing. Played very briefly for the Cardinals

Adrian Peterson
I think he plays for the Vikings. ;)

King Rice (and he didn't even play for our team). Became a backup on North Carolina's basketball team. Really kind of pathetic -- they just don't grow great athletes in small town upstate NY, apparently. :laugh2:

jcollins28

Reaction score
Hostile;2324261 said:
BTW, the best HS athlete ever would be Ken Hall of Sugarland High in Texas. Never heard of him? Look him up. It will blow you away.

Blasphemy! Al Bundy from Chicago is the best high school athlete ever! 4 TD's in ONE GAME..MUHAHAHAHA

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Pat Sharpe, Center, Basketball........played a little college...that is it

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
jcollins28;2324315 said:
Blasphemy! Al Bundy from Chicago is the best high school athlete ever! 4 TD's in ONE GAME..MUHAHAHAHA
That isn't even as high Hall's career average.

His career prep rushing record of 11,232 yards(569 YDs 1950 - 3,160 YDs 1951 - 3,458 YDs 1952 - 4,045 YDs 1953) 'and 32.9 points per game (1953/12) are still national records.

His record of 38 100-yard games was tied by Steve Worster in 1966 but wasn't broken until the mid-1980s by Emmitt Smith. Hall also finished his career with 14,558 yards of total offense (11,232 rushing/3,326 passing), a record that would last until being broken by current Major League Baseball player J. R. House in 1998.

At Sugar Land, Hall played in the single-wing formation at quarterback, standing 6 ft 1 in (1.85 m) and weighing in at 190 lb (86 kg/14 st). According to the National High School Sports Record Book, Hall still holds multiple single-season records, including average points per game (32.9), touchdowns per game (4.8) and rushing yards per game (337.1).

In a contest against Houston Lutheran High School in 1953, Hall averaged 47.3 yards on 11 carries for 520 yards (the state record for nearly 25 years, currently 4th), returned a punt 82 yards, a kickoff run of 64 yards and snatched a 21 yard interception for a combined 687 total yards.

jcollins28

Reaction score
Hostile;2324331 said:
That isn't even as high Hall's career average.

ever hear of something called a joke? Or maybe you don't know the greatness of the Bundy's? How old are you?

albundy-2-1.jpg

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
jcollins28;2324339 said:
ever hear of something called a joke? Or maybe you don't know the greatness of the Bundy's? How old are you?

albundy-2-1.jpg
I did know it was a joke. I am 44 and never watched one episode of the Bundy Show (can't think of the real name).

Ever heard of passing along interesting or amazing stats as facts? That's all I was doing.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
pbthal;2324304 said:
Well you went to Mission, wasn't there a couple of WR's that were awesome back in the Detmer era

Yeah, Valdez played at BYU and Hernandez played for Kansas.