The Best High School Athlete?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jeff Smith who played for the KC Chiefs and sadly drowned.

From the rival high school down the street came Jim Ryan the long distance runner. The first to break the 4 minute mile.

From the North side came Barry Sanders. Yes I got to see him play in high school. True story, he didn't start until his senior year. That reason plus he was considered to short is way no one recruited him. Finally OK St. offered him a deal so he went there to back up Thurman Thomas.

From the same school came Lynette Woodward. The first woman Harlem Globetrotter.

cowboyfreak

Reaction score
Mot many players but bunch of coaches...

Bum Phillips and

Wade Phillips graduated from My high School.

I live across the street from some of Wade's best friends and have seen him often.

The Offensive coordinator for the Texas Longhorns also graduated from my high school.

Offensive line coaches from both Texas Longhorns and Texas A&M

---------------
Ben Weber - baseball player pitched in and won world series with Angels
Lew Ford - baseball player

---------------------------

Dustin Long -QB - Texas A&M (threw 7 TD's in a game for the Aggies)

kmp77

Reaction score
Terrence Kiel...the rest maybe only had a couple years nfl experience.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
Billy Bob (yes the fat dude from Varsity Blues)

Eric Norwood who is a star player for SCar. He will be a 1st or 2nd rnd pick for a 3-4 team as OLB very soon.

And Aaron Reeves. State finalist in the 800m and was killed in car accident heading back to the army this year. I feel as if he deserves a mention for reasons that don't need to be stated.

Tee Martin is the QB coach now for my HS.

And "glaceir" from WCW is the wrestling coach

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The best athletes to come out of my high school both met tragic ends.

Ocie Gainus who held a freshman record in the 100 meters for the state of texas at the time he died and was also our tailback on the freshman team was shot and killed in a fight over some girl in the summer before his sophomore season.

Charles Washington who was reportedly the best athlete a few scouts had ever seen. He was convicted of robbery before he could ever get to UT's campus. How good was he? He served jailtime, got out, and still made the pros.

from wikipedia...

* Maceo Baston (1994) - Toronto Raptors forward; played basketball at Michigan
* Cedric Bonner (football player) (1997) - Former NFL Atlanta Falcons (2005) receiver
* Jitter Fields (1980) - Former Saints, Colts and Chiefs defensive back (1984, 1987); played for UT
* C.J. Richardson (1991) - Former Arizona Cardinals safety (1995); played collegiately at Miami
* Stevin Smith (1990) - Former Dallas Mavericks (1997) guard[10]
* Charles Washington (1984) - Former NFL defensive back[10]
* Steve Rhodes (football player) (1976) - Former NFL Player for the St. Louis Cardinals
-----------------------------------------

I graduated in 91 and knew Hedake(Stevin Smith) and Carl Jr(C.J. Rich) very well. Maceo Baston could barely walk straight as a true freshman but he was already 6'9".

Charles Washington's little brother, Curtis also played with us and he graduated in '90. He had collegiate talent but nothing like his brother.

We also had Ike Mo(Isaac Williams) who was a very good collegiate basketball player at New Mexico and in Europe.

We had a lot of athletes at Spruce during my tenure.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2324715 said:
I want to say Sugar Land was 4A back then?... Fifty years ago it wasn't quite part of the mass of Houston that it is now.

And I should go correct that Wiki on Hall. There is no quarterback in the single wing. He'd have been a tailback. ;)

Anyone who played in regions I or II faced legit competition. Sugar Land would have faces schools like Yates(assuming it was open then) because there weren't that many schools playing football back then.

It was often very light around El Paso and and far south near San Antonio but Dallas and Houston schools have been good since the 50s and West Texas produced Midland Lee and Odessa athletes at an alarming rate from about 80 til 90 and intermittently since.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Sarge;2324376 said:
Will Smith - Saints....

Not Just Will Smith but Dave Cash and Sean Jones too.

Unless you went to procter before the ufa merger!

there are a few more from the area but not the high school.

Mark lemke went to a catholic high school and played for adrean post.

Should have been the mvp of the 91 world series, that darn kirby puckett.

TD22

Reaction score
Tom Dempsey (kicker), San Dieguito High School, Encinitas, CA

NFL record 63-yard field goal, tied with Jason Elam. Dempsey was born without toes on his right foot.

Tom_dempsey.jpg

webby75216

Reaction score
Dennis Rodman

LaTarence Dunbar

Harvey Martin

Chryste Gains

Darrell Arthur

Tony Battie

S.O.C '02

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
Billy Don Jackson of Sherman, Texas was a man among boys. Football was his primary sport. I saw him play basketball and throw the shot (track and field), too. He was amazing.

Here's an update:

http://articles.latimes.com/2007/jun/04/sports/sp-crowe4
He’s functioning just fine these days, thank you

By Jerry Crowe
June 04, 2007 in print edition D-2

Of the countless words written and spoken about Billy Don Jackson a quarter-century ago, few were complimentary and none predicted a future for the former UCLA defensive lineman that would include marriage, a family and steady work.

In 1982, Jackson was Exhibit A for all that could potentially go wrong in the winning-is-everything atmosphere of college athletics.

An admitted drug abuser, the small-town prodigy from Sherman, Texas, had pleaded no contest to a charge of voluntary manslaughter in the fatal stabbing of a drug dealer. The judge at his sentencing hearing described Jackson, one of the most talented athletes UCLA had ever recruited, as a “functional illiterate,” even though Jackson had spent nearly three years at the university.

The troubled Texan served eight months of a one-year sentence at the L.A. County jail and Wayside Honor Rancho, about 35 miles north of Los Angeles, but his drinking and drugging continued after his release in October 1982.

His future looked bleak, his prospects dim, even as he embarked on a 2 1/2 -year career in the United States Football League.

But that was then.

This is now.

“I really believe in my life,” Jackson says. “I’m a winner.”

He is 48, married with two young sons, living in West L.A. and working in Hollywood. A set designer for the television series “24,” the former “can’t-miss” prospect says that he has been sober and drug-free since 1990.

At 6 feet 4 and 340 pounds, he is about 60 pounds heavier than when he last played for UCLA as a junior in 1979 but is still competitive, pitching for a Chatsworth softball team. Married for nine years to a UCLA tennis instructor he met while the two were students at the school – they’ve been a couple for nearly 30 years – Jackson also is a gardener, happily tending to his tomatoes while “24” is on hiatus.

He is remorseful about killing a man in an argument – “I wish I could take that back,” he says, “but I can’t” – and unfailingly loyal to UCLA, despite the judge’s stinging indictment of those responsible for his education.

“The people that were behind me at UCLA did everything that they could possibly do to help me,” says Jackson, who had quit the football team and transferred to San Jose State at the time he was arrested. “I can’t say enough about UCLA. No matter what has happened, I’m going to be a Bruin till the day I die.”

If the school will have him, he says, he’d like to return.

“Of course,” he adds. “To get my college degree? Yeah, of course. I promised my mom when I came here that that’s what I’d do.”

Though obviously a disappointment to his late mother, who died several years ago, the embarrassing aftermath of Jackson’s arrest not only was “life-changing,” he says, “but, in some ways, the best thing that ever happened to me.”

He says it made him realize that he was not infallible.

“I think if things had been different,” Jackson says, “I would have turned out much different – a spoiled person, I guess you could say.”

Instead, he adds, “I’m a very grateful and humble person.”

His substance abuse, Jackson notes, started at a young age.

“You don’t just jump off the deep end,” he says. “You build into it. It started with some alcohol here and some pot there and then some coke here, smoking crack there. It slowly built. It wasn’t just something that happened.”

Had he been stronger mentally and resisted the temptations, he says, “without a doubt” he would have enjoyed a more successful football career.

“I would have taken better care of my body, would have got more rest, would have become a better athlete,” says Jackson, a three-year starter at UCLA. “I wouldn’t have been in the places that I was in to cause myself to go to prison. And I probably would have been a lot more spiritual. I think that we all need a little help and a little guidance.”

Jackson says that watching his mother physically deteriorate sobered him, adding that the two made peace after she suffered a stroke and a heart attack.

“I let her know that, no matter what happened in my life, I’m still her son and that I’m really a good person,” says Jackson, who was working in tile repair after the 1994 Northridge earthquake when a client suggested that his ample size and good nature would serve him well on Hollywood movie sets. “I just got hooked up with some bad drugs and got off the path. She said she understood but that at any point you can stop doing what you’re doing and get back on the right track. It took awhile but it sunk in. I found a program called AA and I’ve been in the program for 17 years.”

Always in his corner, Jackson says, was an unlikely ally.

“Believe it or not, Coach [Terry] Donahue,” he says of the former UCLA coach who wooed him out of Texas. “He and his wife, Andrea, would always try to make sure that I was OK. They had to keep their distance from me because of UCLA, but I truly believe that they both wanted the best for me, no matter what happened.”

Donahue won’t comment, but Jackson’s wife, Lori, happily explains what made her persevere when, as she puts it, “most people would have run away.”

“I saw through the drinking and the drugs,” she says. “I saw that he had a great will and a good heart. Unfortunately, he went through an experimental stage with drugs and alcohol, but I saw a real person, a caring person, a loving person.”

She still does.

But even she is surprised by the monumental turnaround.

“Who would have ever thought this?” she says. “It’s amazing.”

BigBoy63

Reaction score
Probably James Farrior is the best athlete from my school that went to the pros. Then there is me.:laugh2: jk

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
theebs;2325065 said:
Not Just Will Smith but Dave Cash and Sean Jones too.

Unless you went to procter before the ufa merger!

there are a few more from the area but not the high school.

Mark lemke went to a catholic high school and played for adrean post.

Should have been the mvp of the 91 world series, that darn kirby puckett.

Yep - Mark went to Notre Dame High School. Talk about a guy that got the most out of his talent and worked hard.

aggiecurt05

Reaction score
Hostile;2324397 said:
Bear Bryant ruined him. He was never the same.

And Bear Bryant went on to call it his greatest single coaching mistake... he required all players to play both sides of the ball, and Hall wasn't good on defense- so he didn't get a lot of PT (at least this was the story passed to me).

Romo2Dez4six

Touchdown!!!!
Reaction score
BigBoy63;2325259 said:
Probably James Farrior is the best athlete from my school that went to the pros. Then there is me.:laugh2: jk

yeah bro Potsie is a beast. They don't know about you YET!!!!:D

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
...Reuben Mayes. All the rest were Hockey players and not that great athletically.

At least not in Mayes' ability.

dalexa1824

Reaction score
Dallas-Highland Park-Doak Walker and Bobby Lane Co Capt Of 1943 Team;John Roach '50-10 yrs in NFL as a corner back,punter(Cardinals)and backup QB for Green Bay and Cowboys. There was also a wide receiver with the Dolphins and a pro bowl offensive tackle with San Diego. Matthew Stafford is not there yet but should be a # 1 Draft choice when he decides to leave Univ of Ga for an NFL career

devman90

The Master of Disaster
Reaction score
Brady Quinn (QB Cleveland Browns)

Bengals SS Chinedum Ndukwe (SS Cincy Bengals)