The Best High School Athlete?

guag

Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01
Reaction score
The one and only Jumbo Elliot ;) (Sachem High School in New York, one of the largest schools in the state).

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm sure I missing a couple of folks, but here are a few:
  • Shane Reynolds. Pitched with the Arizona Diamondbacks, Houston Astros (named an All-Star) and Atlanta Braves.
  • Calvin Natt. Played small forward with the Denver Nuggets, New Jersey Nets and was named an All-Star while playing for the Portland Trailblazers.
  • Ronnie Coleman. Mr. Olympia (8-time). Side note: I played center along side Ronnie in high school during my junior year (he was a senior).
Technically, I can also claim Pro Baseball Hall of Famer Lou Brock. The high school he attended in a neighboring town was renamed during the 60's (I think), but that same high school was merged into mine a couple of years ago. Yeah, I know. Weak. :eek::

TtownCowboy

Reaction score
Not exactly hometown but close.

HS rival down the road-Dandy Don Meredith. Mt.Vernon TX
-Bam Morris
Close to where I live now.

Billy Simms
Jeremiah Trotter
Nathan Vasher
Rod Smith
A few more I can't think of

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Eh, my high school wasn't really known for athletes.

Had one guy who was the best bball player in our high school's history. He was extremely smart, an All American type kid and was invited to the Nike ABCD camp after his junior year. Problem was he really had no business being there, but since he was a hard working kid who had a squeeky clean image, they gave him an invitation. Anyway, he doesn't play very much until the final game. His team makes the final and in the finals they are playing against Alonzo Mourning. A starter and a few of the players ahead of him get hurt and they are forced to put him in the game and he catches fire and scores 28 points against Alonzo Mourning (which was odd since outside shooting wasn't his forte anyway). He then got heavily recruited, but decided to go to a D-II school and get a good degree. However, last I heard he wound up being a Navy SEAL.

Another interesting story was an track runner we had in high school. He was a white kid that blew away the competition. New York state is a bit weird since many schools down by the city don't compete in some sports with other schools from around the state. Track is even weirder since they have States (which splits up the NYC area schools from the rest of the state) and then they have the Federation which pretty much gets all of the schools competing with each other.

My neighbor was the track coach and he was telling me that the kid was so fast that he wound up making it to the Federation and when they go there, there were only three white people at the track....the kid from our school, the coach, and the starter. They said the crowd just looked at him and started bursting out laughing. So they run the 100 meters and the kid from our school is blowing everybody away halfway through the race, but then blew a hamstring and finished something like 5th, but he got a standing ovation anyway.

Those are probably the best athletes...we had a lot of good athletes at my school, but most of them wind up joining the armed services or getting in trouble with the law instead of going to college.

YAKUZA

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
TtownCowboy;2325912 said:
Not exactly hometown but close.

HS rival down the road-Dandy Don Meredith. Mt.Vernon TX
-Bam Morris
Close to where I live now.

Billy Simms
Jeremiah Trotter
Nathan Vasher
Rod Smith
A few more I can't think of

Vasher went to HS at Texas High School in Texarkana TEXAS.
Smith went to HS at Arkansas Senior High School in Texarkana ARKANSAS.