The botched coin toss thread

IheartRomo

Reaction score
This was one of the dumbest "controversies" I've ever seen. As Pereira said, the ref can and usually does use common sense here. I would bet anything that players each week say "we'll kick", the ref knows that they're saying they defer, and they move on accordingly.

This was just an example of Anderson overstepping his bounds and inserting his own necessity for an elusive password into the proceedings. Totally unnecessary and the league appropriately stepped in. The refs make mistakes in bang-bang situations like PI understandably but should never insert themselves into such foolishness as this.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
This was one of the dumbest "controversies" I've ever seen. As Pereira said, the ref can and usually does use common sense here. I would bet anything that players each week say "we'll kick", the ref knows that they're saying they defer, and they move on accordingly.

This was just an example of Anderson overstepping his bounds and inserting his own necessity for an elusive password into the proceedings. Totally unnecessary and the league appropriately stepped in. The refs make mistakes in bang-bang situations like PI understandably but should never insert themselves into such foolishness as this.
This.

From the playgrounds, to backyards, to highschool to college, to the NFL.

Somebody is getting the ball and somebody is kicking.

If you want to get cute and actually kick it twice, then I'm sure it will be noted as such.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yes Cowboys would have won but there was still a sliver of a chance of a possible comeback. That ended when NY change the call without informing the Rams for two quarters and a half. Dak made a mistake, shouldn't have gotten bail out.
Actually, if you listened to the audio, it was the official who made the mistake. Dak said "kick" twice, then said, "defer", at which point the official said, "So you want to kick." then turned away.

Silverz1972

Reaction score
I’m sure if the game were closer they would have given the rams the ball in the second half. But with the cowboys up 3 TDs they decided against it.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I want posting on this board back when that happened.

But actually, it would be a consistent argument to say that back then the league was being too technical, and should have given Brice a warning. And that in this situation they should use common sense and not be overly strict because Dak said “kick” first.

that’s actually a relatively consistent argument.

it would be an inconsistent argument to complain about the Brice call for being too technical and to now say the refs should have enforced Dak using the word kick first before clarifying.

You're right. I flubbed how fans are inconsistent in wanting things their teams' way no matter the situation. But because Dak got a bailout yesterday, you are not allowed to call me on this.

"You get a pardon."
"You get a pardon."
"And you get a pardon."
"And you get a pardon."
"Everyone gets a pardon."

BigD49

Reaction score
Obviously the o line didn't give him enough time to make the correct call.
Nah that one's on Dak - he needs to step up towards the ref and make the call more clearly, not float backwards away from the ref and into danger

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You know officiating has reached a new level of bad when they have to go to replay to determine what happened during the coin toss.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Who in their right mind would give the opposition the ball in both halves? Has it ever happened before because I don't ever remember it? The officials knew what Dak meant or they are beyond help.

BoltsNHorns

RamsFan
Reaction score
Actually, if you listened to the audio, it was the official who made the mistake. Dak said "kick" twice, then said, "defer", at which point the official said, "So you want to kick." then turned away.

Yes but he said kick twice which became the final answer. He should have said kick and defer. I mean regardless, how can you mess up on a coin toss? I don't want to **** on Dak because well I'm going to **** on Dak. That **** was funny! Did you not see the Rams player laughing. I'm starting to like Dak. The real mess up part was not changing the calls right then. That was the real mess up parts. Either way according to the rulebook, the referee decision is final. NY can do whatever the hell they want in any game at their leisure is why the NFL referees are a complete joke. This is bigger than any coin toss, this is the fact the NFL can change their rules at any time.

I'm not mad or anything, just give me flashbacks of the Steelers game. Worst reffed game since the Rams moved back to LA.

BoltsNHorns

RamsFan
Reaction score
Who in their right mind would give the opposition the ball in both halves? Has it ever happened before because I don't ever remember it? The officials knew what Dak meant or they are beyond help.

It has happened in the past where a team kick twice due to wind factors. That why the rules is still in place for rare situations.

BoltsNHorns

RamsFan
Reaction score
I’m sure if the game were closer they would have given the rams the ball in the second half. But with the cowboys up 3 TDs they decided against it.

I doubt it, NY has it out for Rams this year after last year NFCCG no DPI call.

HungryLion

Reaction score
You're right. I flubbed how fans are inconsistent in wanting things their teams' way no matter the situation. But because Dak got a bailout yesterday, you are not allowed to call me on this.

"You get a pardon."
"You get a pardon."
"And you get a pardon."
"And you get a pardon."
"Everyone gets a pardon."

I’m really not trying to call you out. I hope your sarcasm is good natured and not meant to be disrespectful.

You’re right. Plenty of fans are inconsistent. I can be myself when emotions get in the way. I admit it.

End of the day though. I really don’t think the coin flip should come down to this. Dak and the captains need to be clear with what they say. And the ref could have handled it better too and used some common sense. Both things are possible. This is one of those grey area cases it’s really not black and white.

CB61

Reaction score
So since there’ll be like 8 of these same threads on this topic before they get merged, let me post what of course no one else is going to: the actual rule in place

ARTICLE 2. TOSS OF COIN. Not more than three minutes before the kickoff of the first half, the Referee, in the presence of both team’s captains (limit of six per team, active, inactive or honorary) shall toss a coin at the center of the field. Prior to the Referee’s toss, the call of “heads” or “tails” must be made by the captain of the visiting team, or by the captain designated by the Referee if there is no home team. Unless the winner of the toss defers his choice to the second half, he must choose one of two privileges, and the loser is given the other. The two privileges are:

(a) The opportunity to receive the kickoff, or to kick off; or
(b) The choice of goal his team will defend.

If the coin does not turn over in the air or the toss is compromised in any way, the Referee shall toss it again. The captain’s original call may not be changed.

Penalty: For failure to comply: Loss of coin-toss option for both halves and overtime, and loss of 15 yards from the spot of the kickoff for the first half only.

For the second half, the captain who lost the pregame toss is to have the first choice of the two privileges listed in (a) or (b), unless one of the teams lost its first and second half options, or unless the winner of the pregame toss deferred his choice to the second half, in which case he must choose (a) or (b) above. Immediately prior to the start of the second half, the captains of both teams must inform the Referee of their respective choices. A captain’s first choice from any alternative privileges listed above is final and not subject to change.

So the actual exchange between Dak and the referee was:

Dak: “Go defense, defense. We want to kick it. Kicking it that way.”
Referee: “You want to kick?”
Dak: “We defer to the second half, yes.”
Referee: “Okay, you’re going to kick?”
Dak: “Yeah.”

Looking at the rule, when Dak said, “Kick it,” that should have done it because it’s one of the choices in (a) when you win the toss. To be fair to the ref though, Dak did give him 2 different choices. "Kicking it" and "deferring to the second half" are separate things. By the rule, you only defer your choice to the second half, not getting the ball.

Mark that on your history calendar that the NFL actually corrected something during the game instead of issuing a lame you know what apology Monday

shabazz

Reaction score

True, but who ever heard of Icing your own kicker? I believe Garrett was trying a new, innovative strategy by deferring for both halves

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yes but he said kick twice which became the final answer. He should have said kick and defer. I mean regardless, how can you mess up on a coin toss? I don't want to **** on Dak because well I'm going to **** on Dak. That **** was funny! Did you not see the Rams player laughing. I'm starting to like Dak. The real mess up part was not changing the calls right then. That was the real mess up parts. Either way according to the rulebook, the referee decision is final. NY can do whatever the hell they want in any game at their leisure is why the NFL referees are a complete joke. This is bigger than any coin toss, this is the fact the NFL can change their rules at any time.

I'm not mad or anything, just give me flashbacks of the Steelers game. Worst reffed game since the Rams moved back to LA.
Where in the rule book did you see, "The captain can only answer twice, and the latter being the final answer."?