The bottom line is Dak didn't deliver

RomoplusDezEquals7

Reaction score
Never said it was easy or appealing. Can you really send him onto the field again and expect anyone to take you seriously? Even his teammates?

I know it's a long shot and my guess it you couldn't find a team to do it, but I think we would eat 23 million this year if we could trade Dak. Is that worth it if you could get him to waive the no trade clause and find a team willing to take him? I don't know, for 23 million it would be for me, but I may be wrong on that number. What the Cowboys can do is draft a QB in the first few rounds and get him ready to go in two years when they can release Dak.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
We should at least kick the tires on Russ Wilson. But I must say, he wasnt great at times either. Not sure hes a big upgrade. AND hes 33. We did little 2 help Dak Yesterday.
Russell needs a strong supporting cast as well. but difference is he delivered when he had it....I have stopped considering him elite, since their team has struggled without a great running game and good defense to give him short field positions....

and we can't trade Dak. the cap hit is 80M. and we are 13M over the cap already. so that would mean making up 93M in cap space just to get to 0

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I am not interested in any soft headed attempt to blame a loss on one guy. Dak had a crappy game... But as is usually the case.. He was far from alone.. The line was absolutely TERRIBLE.. They couldn't block 4 guys.. The receivers were just okay but still gifted us with key drops throughout the game.. and of course Jerry's stupid insistence on letting the sun through blinding Wilson on a pass that whizzed right by his head.. I mean really!?!? How many key moments do we have to have guys lose the ball in that glare before we put some ***** blinds up? I will not defend poor play by Dak or anybody else.. Football is not played one on one. But I will also not blame one player for a loss. I don't play that game.. If you want to that's on you.. You won't drag me into it.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I am a Dak believer, but its not debatable that he has regressed from the first half of the season til today. Is that all him? Injury, Or Moore, the line, run game, etc, not sure. But he looked nothing like the confident accurate QB he was in weeks 1thru7. That needs to be fixed.

RomoplusDezEquals7

Reaction score
You are 100% right, but that doesn’t mean that teams shouldn’t try to upgrade the QB position. I have read numerous posts saying that we should be happy with Dak because it is hard to find good QBs. One thing is for certain, finding a great QB will never happen if they don’t even try. If the scouts can not evaluate QBs, then they need new scouts.

Exactly! What if the Chiefs thought this way when they had a pretty good QB in Alex Smith. Or the Chargers when they could have just kept paying Philip Rivers. And to a lesser extent because they had the first pick in the draft what if the Bengals thought they could just keep Andy Dalton (who was like 31 at the time I think and did not have a large contract). Or the Seahawks whom could have just kept Matt Hasselback. And numerous other examples. And yes there are also examples of busts no doubt. Dak doesn't suck, but he's also not anything more then an above average NFL QB. You can't be afraid to try and improve at the position. If. he can't handle that he's not the leader people think he is. Unless something crazy happens like a trade for Russell Wilson, which I highly doubt, it's time to draft his replacement and find and out strategy. It should have been before the huge silly contract, but that is done and they need to have a plan for when they can release him.

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I know everyone wants to pile on Dak for the loss. But, I agree with @RonnieT24 that it was a team loss. And frankly, our coaches didn't do any favors for our players. I think I am more disappointed with our coaches than I am with our players.

fansince68

Reaction score
23-7 - the score entering the 4th quarter
27.1. Daks QBR for game
1-3. Dak's career playoff record

We can blame MM.....the refs......bottom line is that Dak didn't deliver. The players play the game and no cowboy was more underwhelming than Dak Prescott. He could not get the offense moving until SF was basically in a prevent defense.

Its on to season 7 for Dak. I hope this performance will linger in our collective memories so we can have fewer arguments next season over who this guy is. He is gutless and not a big game QB. He pads his stats against bad teams and playing catch-up against prevent defenses.

So next year when he torches the Giants for 500 yards and 8 TDs, anyone who starts posting about how great he is should be automatically considered a buffoon.
I wouldn't call him "gutless". But slow to read and react. Exasperates the WR to run a perfect route, beat your man, the balls is late to come out, look back and your qb is sacked. Dak needs 7 seconds to do what average qbs take 1.2 seconds to do. I thought having a football field at him home would create world beating timing between Dak and his receivers.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wouldn't call him "gutless". But slow to read and react. Exasperates the WR to run a perfect route, beat your man, the balls is late to come out, look back and your qb is sacked. Dak needs 7 seconds to do what average qbs take 1.2 seconds to do. I thought having a football field at him home would create world beating timing between Dak and his receivers.

I mean in the sense that he rarely ever rises to the occasion. He was not ready coming out of the locker room in the first or second half. He seems to melt under pressure. He's the polar opposite of troy Aikman.

DaveRowe

Reaction score
No matter how you slice it and dice it, Dak is not a championship QB. He's never delivered and he never will. Let's get a QB and some offensive linemen and move on. I know it's fantasy but how would Aaron Rogers look in Silver and Blue?

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I am a Dak believer, but its not debatable that he has regressed from the first half of the season til today. Is that all him? Injury, Or Moore, the line, run game, etc, not sure. But he looked nothing like the confident accurate QB he was in weeks 1thru7. That needs to be fixed.

A full offseason to work on his mechanics without worrying about blowing out that calf again will probably take care of that. I really think that as much as anything was the reason Dak was so different in the second half of the season.. I think getting three injuries so close together, the ankle, the shoulder, then the calf screwed with his head. You could really see it on his rollout passes. Dak is literally the most accurate on the run thrower I've ever seen.. yet over the second half of this season he was as inconsistent on those throws as Tim Tebow.. And the #1 reason why I think was the unwillingness to trust that he was going to be able land safely on that outside leg.. To make those throws you have to plant that right foot and fire.. Dak couldn't/wouldn't do that in the second half of the season.. and it showed up in his accuracy on those throws. Which used to be his bread and butter.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
A full offseason to work on his mechanics without worrying about blowing out that calf again will probably take care of that. I really think that as much as anything was the reason Dak was so different in the second half of the season.. I think getting three injuries so close together, the ankle, the shoulder, then the calf screwed with his head. You could really see it on his rollout passes. Dak is literally the most accurate on the run thrower I've ever seen.. yet over the second half of this season he was as inconsistent on those throws as Tim Tebow.. And the #1 reason why I think was the unwillingness to trust that he was going to be able land safely on that outside leg.. To make those throws you have to plant that right foot and fire.. Dak couldn't/wouldn't do that in the second half of the season.. and it showed up in his accuracy on those throws. Which used to be his bread and butter.

could be. I hope thats the case. Need to block/run better too. It also seemed like the OC had no answers to defenses game plans in the second half unless they were playing garbage teams.

fansince68

Reaction score
I mean in the sense that he rarely ever rises to the occasion. He was not ready coming out of the locker room in the first or second half. He seems to melt under pressure. He's the polar opposite of troy Aikman.
He talks a great game. He leads the "geek up" the team moment prior to kick off. I guess nobody gets "geeked". It's sad. Spending 140 million on a lemon.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are two problems. One, upper echelon QB”s are not plentiful and this brain trust has challenges finding QB’s.

They were in the same spot as TEN was with Tannehill and CLE is with Mayfield, if not him, who then?

Tmac

Reaction score
27.1. Daks QBR for game

We can blame MM.....the refs......bottom line is that Dak didn't deliver. The players play the game and no cowboy was more underwhelming than Dak Prescott. He could not get the offense moving until SF was basically in a prevent defense.

Its on to season 7 for Dak. I hope this performance will linger in our collective memories so we can have fewer arguments next season over who this guy is. He is gutless and not a big game QB. He pads his stats against bad teams and playing catch-up against prevent defenses.

So next year when he torches the Giants fo do you r 500 yards and 8 TDs, anyone who starts posting about how great he is should be automatically considered a buffoon.

Dak is tantamount to fools gold! Looks and feels like the Bona fide article only to discover, under greater scrutiny, that you actually have nothing!

GINeric

Reaction score
27.1. Daks QBR for game

So next year when he torches the Giants for 500 yards and 8 TDs, anyone who starts posting about how great he is should be automatically considered a buffoon.

You've laid out a respectable argument, but is it still considered "didn't deliver" when he does make plays and they're called back for holding?

Is there any quarterback in the league that's had success when their team leads the league in penalties?? Im willing to bet no quarterback has too much success when they're facing 2nd and 25 or 3rd and 15 every other drive.

Now I agree that Dak has to play much better moving forward, no doubt!! I agree with you one hundred percent there. But to blame the total playoff record on him alone is not accurate to me.

Against the Packers, Dak went 24/38 302 yds 3 tds 1 int. QBR 73.6
Rodgers 28/43 2 tds 1 int QBR 83.1.

(was it Dak's fault the defense gave up a long desperation pass to Cook, while in prevent defense that set them up for a 56 yard game winning fg??)

Against the Rams, Dak went 20/32 266yds and one td. QBR 84.4
J. Goff 15/28 186yds QBR 54.1

(Was it Dak's fault that our defense gave up 273 yards RUSHING and couldn't stop Goff from running for a back breaking first down to seal the game??)

We all know what happened in the game against the 49ers the other day. Dak was sacked 5 times, some of that was on him, some of that was on the offensive line. We had 14 penalties... those weren't on Dak. Maybe Dak could have had more opportunities if the defense wasn't committing hands to the face, holding offensive linemen, and jumping offsides everytime we were about to get the ball back. The loss against the 49ers was a TEAM loss, not a Dak alone loss.

Creeper

Reaction score
When Brady left New England I argued with my son about signing him in Dallas. I said it was a bad idea because Brady is old and Dak is young. I was wrong. In my defense, at the time Dallas had still not signed Dak, and never in my wildest imagination did I think Jerry would give him $40 million a year.

In retrospect, They should have tried to sign Brady and I would have traded Dak or let him walk in free agency. Dak is now just the last guy that Jerry has overpaid to cripple the team.

The entire Cowboys team was a clown show against the 49ers. It was not just Dak. Dak did not commit 14 penalties, call that stupid special teams play to stay on the field after completing the fake punt successfully, or get bullied on the first drive by the 49ers for 7 points.

But getting paid $40 million a year, like it or not, Dak is responsible for moving the offense into scoring position and finishing drives. Dak did not do that and while the penalties hurt, so did some off-target throws, bad decisions, and unnecessary sacks. The leader of the team has to pick the team up and lead them to victory. Dak has become just another guy.

Dak is not supposed to have a horrible game even if other guys on the team do. He is supposed to play his heart out and will the team into the end zone. That's what $40 million is supposed to buy.

TheHerd

Reaction score
You forgot to add the cover 0 all out blitz on the incompletion to Wilson. Seems like an important detail there you decided to leave out.

But in the end, Dak did fall short as the starting QB. Another off season of what ifs, here we go….

You forgot to add the cover 0 all out blitz on the incompletion to Wilson. Seems like an important detail there you decided to leave out.

But in the end, Dak did fall short as the starting QB. Another off season of what ifs, here we go….

I didn't add any detail, just the plays. Blitzes can be expected in 2 minute drills, Dak, and probably more importantly Moore, do not properly prepare for all scenarios. Interestingly, Dak almost pulled a rabbit out of the hat on that throw.

TheHerd

Reaction score
When Brady left New England I argued with my son about signing him in Dallas. I said it was a bad idea because Brady is old and Dak is young. I was wrong. In my defense, at the time Dallas had still not signed Dak, and never in my wildest imagination did I think Jerry would give him $40 million a year.

In retrospect, They should have tried to sign Brady and I would have traded Dak or let him walk in free agency. Dak is now just the last guy that Jerry has overpaid to cripple the team.

The entire Cowboys team was a clown show against the 49ers. It was not just Dak. Dak did not commit 14 penalties, call that stupid special teams play to stay on the field after completing the fake punt successfully, or get bullied on the first drive by the 49ers for 7 points.

But getting paid $40 million a year, like it or not, Dak is responsible for moving the offense into scoring position and finishing drives. Dak did not do that and while the penalties hurt, so did some off-target throws, bad decisions, and unnecessary sacks. The leader of the team has to pick the team up and lead them to victory. Dak has become just another guy.

Dak is not supposed to have a horrible game even if other guys on the team do. He is supposed to play his heart out and will the team into the end zone. That's what $40 million is supposed to buy.
I wanted Brady badly, partially because I knew that Gronk would be part of the package. Brady will probably be playing after Dak retires.

But I doubt Brady would have come here for two reasons. First, he knew he had to go to a team with a great defense. Even though we all think he walks on water and can win games all by himself, he knows the NE defense was a key component to his success over the years. Our defense was not very good when he was on the market. Second, Jerry Jones.