Video: The Break: "La'el Collins didn't have any cartilege in his hip"

tm1119

Reaction score
I love how a beat reporter with 0 medical experience says 1 very vague phrase and people are ending La’el’s career and speaking on a surgery they have no clue about. If La’el Collins had a hip replacement surgery there would have been some sort of press release by now...not to mention Helman even says “I’m optimistic both these guys will be back” and everyone just runs with the doomsday headline. Pretty much a microcosm of why the country is in the state it is in now I guess...

Kaiser

Reaction score
Oh okay, I get it. By "not the first", you mean he isn't the exception because he doesn't have it.

I mean its never happened (or so rarely its not worth mentioning) and the odds of Collins being the first guy ever are microscopic. In my case I was born with a slightly different hip structure and nothing appeared until I was 53 years old. And that's after serious exercise daily for 30+ years, including years of humping a ruck in the Army. In guys like Tyrone Crawford they spot the signs of it coming on well in advance, its basically impossible that it wasn't an issue until this year, then the issue magically appeared in Collins one day.

When you go through the process they show you your X Rays all the time and its so obvious any layman can understand it. I'll link a basic example I found in a quick google search, this shows the difference between a normal hip next to a damaged one. This is the kind of thing that every player has examined in the draft process before they even get a chance to play in the NFL.

Here is the example -

a00377f04.jpg

Kaiser

Reaction score
Ron leary had something similar in his knee joint. He was in his 20's.

#1) - Leary had a condition where blood flow in the knee hurts knee cartilage, which is completely different than the hip or the issues in the hip that are mostly about impact damage.

2) That was identified in Leary before the draft, which is why he fell out of the draft and signed as a UDFA. He also played eight seasons in the NFL after the condition was identified.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I mean its never happened (or so rarely its not worth mentioning) and the odds of Collins being the first guy ever are microscopic. In my case I was born with a slightly different hip structure and nothing appeared until I was 53 years old. And that's after serious exercise daily for 30+ years, including years of humping a ruck in the Army. In guys like Tyrone Crawford they spot the signs of it coming on well in advance, its basically impossible that it wasn't an issue until this year, then the issue magically appeared in Collins one day.

When you go through the process they show you your X Rays all the time and its so obvious any layman can understand it. I'll link a basic example I found in a quick google search, this shows the difference between a normal hip next to a damaged one. This is the kind of thing that every players has examined in the draft process before they even get a chance to play in the NFL.

Here is the example -

a00377f04.jpg
Considering his size, and the job he has, I wouldn't consider it outside the realm of plausibility that his cartilage could wear out rather quickly, even if it's extremely unusual. That's not to say I necessarily believe the story, but I won't dismiss it automatically.

Reactions: CWR

Kaiser

Reaction score
Considering his size, and the job he has, I wouldn't consider it outside the realm of plausibility that his cartilage could wear out rather quickly, even if it's extremely unusual. That's not to say I necessarily believe the story, but I won't dismiss it automatically.

Its possible, my main point is that it doesn't appear out of thin air. If this is really the issue, either it was there the whole time and the team hid it from the public or it was an impact injury from his car accident instead of losing cartilage over time.

If I had to bet I would put my chips down like this -

20% - its all BS and he was just out of shape
30% - he had some other injury and this is just reporters speculating
50% - he was injured in his car accident and there is some insurance/contract reason why the team isn't talking about it.

cowboyec

Reaction score
outside Sewell...there are some OTs i like up and down the board.
alex leatherwood,alabama
rashawn slater,nwestern
wyatt davis,ohio st...og who some think will play OT in the nfl.
jalen mayfield,michigan
thayer munford,ohio st
daniel faalele,minnesota
cole van lanen,wisconsin
adrian ealy,oklahoma
tommy doyle,miami-oh

we also have those 2 young kids...Steele and Knight.

there are some options for us.
if it is career ending....hopefully its not but it sounds that way.
hate to see that for a young guy with a really bright future.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I had a hip replacement and my days of running, skipping or jumping were over and I really miss skipping.

If he's had it replaced, I don't see how he could put the pressure and torque on that hip being the size he is. He would also have to be careful because a replaced hip is lot easier to dislocate. If he does that, there will be damage around the joint as well.

But this makes sense as the Cowboys have always been mysterious about injuries and underplayed them. Booger underplayed Ratliff's one time and found out he was just healthy enough to chase his old butt out of the locker room.

True story: If skipping was an Olympic sport I might have made the squad. I am not a fast guy. Average speed even on my best days but I can skip like the wind. It’s strange.

Kaiser

Reaction score
outside Sewell...there are some OTs i like up and down the board.

Who do you think would be there in the 3rd or 4th?

I was thinking they draft a guy in that range, plus resign Erving or another veteran swing tackle. But now I'm thinking Knight and Steele have improved enough to be counted on as the 3rd and 4th OTs, with a good developmental project taken in the 3rd.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Who do you think would be there in the 3rd or 4th?

I was thinking they draft a guy in that range, plus resign Erving or another veteran swing tackle. But now I'm thinking Knight and Steele have improved enough to be counted on as the 3rd and 4th OTs, with a good developmental project taken in the 3rd.
alaric jackson,iowa...who i forgot to list.
daniel faalele,minnesota
cole van lanen,wisconsin
adrian ealy,ou
tommy doyle,miami-oh

notre dame has one in that range also.
i REALLY like tommy doyle.
he's got some neanderthalness to his game.
but i agree with you...i really like Steele and Knight.
one of them could be a nice find in that spot.
or they take Leatherwood or Slater in the 1st.
but if they like what they have...use that pick for a CB or Parsons and let Steele and Knight duke it out.
i hate to lose Collins...but all is not lost.

CWR

Reaction score
Im all in on getting a Tackle this draft. We lose Fred beard and LC just like that. Tyron is too beat up. Damn this is terrible news.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
It would seem odd that suddenly he has no cartlidge in his hip. You would think the medical team would have seen it before signing the new contract. It takes time for it to wear down.

As such I don't fully believe this report, but I guess we'll see.