Video: The Break: "La'el Collins didn't have any cartilege in his hip"

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Starting 12:25
Dave: He didn't have any cartilege in his hip. His hip bones were grinding against each other.

Wut. I've never heard that before. That sounds really bad. Career ending bad. Anyone got more info on that? Links?

After looking through the first half dozen posts, I'm surprised that so many are taking that at face value.

*I'm* not. It may be true, it may not.

Though it would be pretty weird for Dave to just make this up, especially since it's kind of an offhand remark in a Break video. But maybe he's just wrong. Heard it wrong. Maybe he misunderstood the medical eval.

Interesting that no one on The Break contradicts it, though. Maybe they all knew it and wanted to brush by it. Maybe they all knew it, and because they all knew it, didn't think anything of Dave saying it, not seeing that it's a big story if true, and one that *hasn't* come out before, AFAIK.

Hard to explain their *lack* of reaction unless it was true. I'd expect them to say "what are you talking about?" if they didn't already know it was true.

Hence I asked for links and references. Did it come out before and I just missed it?

Just from observing The Break, and *everyone's* behavior when Dave said it, it does seem likely it's true. Bad.

I'd like to hear evidence otherwise.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
OT is a high priority in this draft. We can also look at shifting Connor Williams to OT. Or Zack Martin for that matter.

With McGovern playing well at G, backfilling Williams at LG shouldn't be an issue at all.

McGovern may *already* be a better LG than Williams. I think they're close now, though I'd still give the now to Williams.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I don’t think Knight would be a bad RT if need be. Steele stinks. But I agree you need at least to find Tyrons replacement. If you can find 2, go for it.

I wonder about Knight. You can dismiss PFF, but their season score for Knight has dropped steadily from low 60s early to now 48. That's a big drop.

I haven't noticed his play dropping that much, though.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I think its debatable at this point. IMO Steele looks like the better option going forward. But both will be back next year so well see.

PFF
Knight 48
Steele 49.6

Disappointing thing is that Knight was in the low 60s earlier in the season. Maybe the eval isn't fair to Knight. PFF ain't perfect. But they ain't just random either, and that's a significant drop. Don't like to see young players go backwards.

I don't think either have really been that bad lately. Steele was horrible early on, but he's gotten better.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I’m not concerned since it’s just some dude saying it.
If it’s not coming from Lael or an actually cowboys employee then I’m not believing it.

Dave could just be wrong, but the lack of reaction from the rest makes me think it's true, and they know it too.

Otherwise, they would have said "What you talking about, Dave?" In sports news, this is a big story.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
If the cartilage was gone today, it should have been a screaming red flag on a simple XRay a year ago. Its something a Resident would have spotted instantly, and NFL teams don't give out 50 Million dollar extensions without an exhaustive physical.

"exhaustive physical"

That seems like a good point against the story. Though I don't know that an ordinary physical should show it.

If I'm an owner, I want a full body MRI as a matter of course. I wonder if there's some legal/contract reason teams can't do that.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I actually suck at jumping rope. I can do it just not well. Skipping...I am the Mozart of skipping.
For some reason this post just made me really want to watch Leon: The Professional.
Maybe that scene where Gary Oldman is discussing classical composers with Natalie Portman's father...
Ah yes! "I loooooove Mozart! But a little light with the (he makes piano playing movements)."

One of my all-time favorite movies. Just gorgeous inside and out. Every scene is a feast to behold.

Luc Besson's magnum opus.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I love how a beat reporter with 0 medical experience says 1 very vague phrase and people are ending La’el’s career and speaking on a surgery they have no clue about. If La’el Collins had a hip replacement surgery there would have been some sort of press release by now...not to mention Helman even says “I’m optimistic both these guys will be back” and everyone just runs with the doomsday headline. Pretty much a microcosm of why the country is in the state it is in now I guess...

It's fair to be skeptical, but Helman wasn't "vague" about this. "No cartilage", "bone on bone" is concrete and specific.

Maybe it was meant as hyperbole about the injury, but Helman seemed more matter of fact about it.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Im all in on getting a Tackle this draft. We lose Fred beard and LC just like that. Tyron is too beat up. Damn this is terrible news.

What we do in the draft should be a big tell on this, especially if we *don't* take someone.

Hmmm. Maybe this explains the push to get Steele on the field. A big need to develop a T.

Reactions: CWR

AbeBeta

Reaction score
People that were lying about the severity and seriousness of his season-costing injury ought to be ashamed of themselves!

Not good news at all. Can't find anything on the internet to say whether it was a hip replacement type of surgery or something less? Either way, this doesn't bode well for La'el's future.

With Tyron Smith getting up there in age and needed surgery himself due to his body frequently breaking down, plus now with La'el's serious hip injury that required surgery, it certainly seems the Cowboys will have to address the Tackle position in the 2020 Draft.

Good thing there are at least 10 pretty good Tackle prospects that can be taken in the first 3 rounds.

They didn't do a hip replacement

cern

Reaction score
For some reason this post just made me really want to watch Leon: The Professional.
Maybe that scene where Gary Oldman is discussing classical composers with Natalie Portman's father...
Ah yes! "I loooooove Mozart! But a little light with the (he makes piano playing movements)."

One of my all-time favorite movies. Just gorgeous inside and out. Every scene is a feast to behold.

Luc Besson's magnum opus.
I prefer more realistic scenes when it comes to firearms.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I prefer more realistic scenes when it comes to firearms.
Interesting that you focus on the shooting and bang bangs when the totality is so much more than that.

But I get it. You want more realism.