The Calvin Johnson Rule Does Not Apply

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All of this is moot if Dez just secures the ball and makes sure he's got the first down on a 4th down play. He had no business reaching out, the 1st down was way more important than the TD in that scenario.

I think the one that stumps me is, if a receiver reaches for a catch on the sideline, gets two toes in and then has it slip out on the way out of bounds... what is that? Incomplete?
Well, that's sort of the problem. He's caught the ball. He's hauled it in, secured it, moved it from hand to hand and he's ready to do the next thing. He has absolutely no reason to think he hasn't caught the ball. None. It's a completely absurd rule that makes players stop trying to advance the ball because they're afraid it won't be ruled a catch,

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wrong. The rule is the same whether in the end zone or out of the end zone -- it states that explicitly.

A player who goes to the ground in the process of attempting to secure possession of a loose ball (with or without contact by an opponent) must maintain control of the ball throughout the process of contacting the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, there is no possession. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, it is a catch, interception, or recovery.

The entire issue is whether Dez was going to the ground in the process of making the catch.
Correct. The only time the "football move" comes into play is in the regular definition of possession, not the "going to the ground" sub-rule.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
silly Dez for trying to score a touchdown after he catches the ball with both feet inbounds and the goal line right in front of him

also, I blew apart this ridiculous argument on page 1 of this thread

Yeah, you can reply with goofy sarcasm if you want but it's the truth. Obviously it's in his nature to try and score there, but if you want to think of the play situationally, 1st down is the play that has to be made there if nothing else.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
The NFL and the refs are hanging their on their hat on "a move common to the game" aka a "football move" has to be made. IMO one thing over all others shows "a move common to the game" was in fact made. If you look at Dez's foot he digs it into the field for leverage to leap forward towards the endzone. That clearly shows a "football move" was being made. I'm surprised no one has brought this aspect of the catch up.

curboys

Reaction score
Actually, Dez caught it, took two steps, was tripped, took another step and then fell down while reaching for the goal line. If he isn't tripped, does anybody think it matters if the ball comes loose after he crosses the goal line and then eventually falls down?

He didn't fall down in the process of making a catch. He made a catch, got two feet down, and was then tackled. Illegally, I might add.

Who was Dez tripped by ? Is he's tripped by the defender, isn't this the same as being tackled therefore Dez should have been down by contact, end of play. Cowboys ball at the 1 yd line. Why else would the ref have blow the play dead and spotted the ball at the one.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Here's why...

The CJ Rule is really about the receiver being in end zone when they catch the ball.

The reason is basically twofold:

1. A lot of catches in the end zone are ones where the receiver catches the ball and falls to the ground in some fashion.

2. When you catch the ball in the end zone, you cannot physically try and advance the ball to the end zone.

Rules are often based on intent and logic.

#2 is very important to understand why the CJ rule does not apply.

If the receiver is in the end zone, then *logically* they have no reason to try and turn themselves into a runner nor try to advance the ball to the end zone. Essentially, if they complete the catch it's a TD. Unlike if you catch a pass at the 5-yard line where you need to catch the ball and then try and advance the ball towards the end zone.

The rule states the pass must be completed 'throughout the process of the catch.'

So if the receiver is in the end zone and falls to the ground, that is the entire process of the catch. You are not going to see a receiver in the end zone catch the ball and either start running or reaching out with their arm because they don't need to advance the ball. It's already a score.

When the receiver is *not* in the end zone, the 'process of the catch' is different. Using logic, the process of the catch with the receiver *not* in the end zone should be when the receiver has control of the ball and then the receiver has the right to try and advance the ball. Otherwise, we could argue that WR's could not fumble the ball after a reception because they did not control the ball thru the process of the catch.

Since Dez extended his arm (and the ball was not coming loose as he extended his arm), the process of the catch had been completed and now he was turning himself from a receiver to a player trying to advance the ball. In the CJ case, the receiver would have no logical reason to extend their arm because they are already in the end zone.

I'm sure we all know this and understand this...I just think that the people pointing to the rule book are being a bit obtuse about how to read the rules and don't see how their interpretation contradicts the rules and don't understand the original intent of the rule.

YR

I've been saying and posting the same thing. They simply got the call wrong but they're never going to admit it.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
But that play has gone against other teams. Either you change the rule, or you live with the rule.

I would like to see it where it has gone against other teams.

Like I said, it makes no sense. If that was the case, you could have a receiver catch a pass, run 10 yards and fumble the ball and it would have to be called an incomplete pass.

And you run into issues like we have here...was he taking 3 steps or was he falling down? The extension of the left arm makes those a moot point because it was clear he was trying to advance the ball.

YR

ejthedj

Reaction score
Here's where the NFL got the ruling wrong: They applied the process rule, which says if a receiver is going to the ground IN THE PROCESS OF MAKING A CATCH. Dez caught the ball and made two steps. What made him go to the ground is the leg of the DB after the second step. Not his jump and making the catch. That's why he changed trajectory. That's why there is a third step. It's not until after the second step that Dez starts to fall. He didn't go to the ground in the process of the catch. He made the catch and then was tripped

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
The NFL and the refs and hanging their on their hat on "a move common to the game" aka a "football move" has to be made. IMO one thing over all others shows "a move common to the game" was in fact made. If you look at Dez's foot he digs it into the field for leverage to leap forward towards the endzone. That clearly shows a "football move" was being made. I'm surprised no one has brought this aspect of the catch up.

If that's their argument, they're even more stupid than I thought. Anyone that looked at that play and doesn't think Dez made a football move is an idiot.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
he must maintain control of the ball throughout the process of the catch when he goes to the ground....he didn't maintain possession when he hit the ground
That is the "going to the ground" subrule, not the main rule for possession. The subrule did not apply here. You can tell this because the NFL specifically referenced "move common to the game" in their explanation. "Move common to the game" has nothing to do with the "going to the ground" subrule.

Ken

Reaction score
All of this is moot if Dez just secures the ball and makes sure he's got the first down on a 4th down play. He had no business reaching out, the 1st down was way more important than the TD in that scenario.

I think the one that stumps me is, if a receiver reaches for a catch on the sideline, gets two toes in and then has it slip out on the way out of bounds... what is that? Incomplete?

Please stop with the "if dez just secures the Ball" nonsense. If he puts it across the endzone...which we have seen him do many times....you would be the first to say how amazing a play it was.

I just can't believe that the NFL thought this was the way to call that play. Could you imagine if the cowboys score there...or don't and its because of a Romo gaffe....could you imagine Rodgers on a bum leg going down the field and then winning it.

All of that was taken away on a play where the wr advanced the ball 5 yards.........INC!

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
he must maintain control of the ball throughout the process of the catch when he goes to the ground....he didn't maintain possession when he hit the ground

so if he runs 10 yards down the field then stops. and the ball comes out, then thats not a catch????