The Case Against an Earl Thomas Trade

Kaiser

Reaction score
Sure, they may make a few plays here and there but just aren’t good enough to be the starters for a deep playoff run in the NFC. Anyone who thinks they are is living in fantasyland.

Its funny to hear you call everything fantasyland when you can't maintain a consistent argument on the same page of the same thread. You said Heath and Woods were a liability that would get ripped apart to saying you need better than that to win a Super Bowl.

Heath is average and Woods likely will be, he held his own as a rookie safety playing slot CB and that is something not a lot of players do. There are plenty of position groups on Super Bowl teams that are average, in the Salary Cap era there is no way to avoid that.

Kaiser

Reaction score
consider that Kris Richards wants to be more aggressive and physical with the corners (which i like) but without a talented safety this could lead to some big plays

Good point, you also have to consider how much ground ET covers and how that influences the defensive scheme. With a centerfielder safety like that and improved coverage from the LB corps, you can blitz a lot more knowing the new guys will cover for it.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Its funny to hear you call everything fantasyland when you can't maintain a consistent argument on the same page of the same thread. You said Heath and Woods were a liability that would get ripped apart to saying you need better than that to win a Super Bowl.

Heath is average and Woods likely will be, he held his own as a rookie safety playing slot CB and that is something not a lot of players do. There are plenty of position groups on Super Bowl teams that are average, in the Salary Cap era there is no way to avoid that.

I’ve been consistent throughout. The safety group in Dallas is a complete joke and in no way will the team be able to make a deep run in the playoffs if they don’t do something to get at least one legit NFL caliber safety in the building. I can say the same thing a dozen ways with different words. That doesn’t equate to being inconsistent.

Kaiser

Reaction score
The safety group in Dallas is a complete joke

This is just potbanging. You said Heath and Woods will get "ripped to shreds" if they play but they played a lot last year - and didn't get ripped to shreds, they didn't even get ripped or even targeted by NFL OC's. The guy they targeted last year was Anthony Brown.

Jipper

Reaction score
Why are we still talking about something that isn't happening....

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Being 15m under the cap is a terrible waste of resources

There is no "value" in playing Heath over EThomas

Do we want a Mathlete that is good at accounting or an Athlete that is great at FS?????

Make it hap'n cap'n

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Same here, no questions about his play. My only question remains, why doesn't his former coach want him? I have little doubt if he told them he needs him, he would already have him. Or is it the fact he wants 13M a season?

Who says he doesn't? Richard can't really say anything until or unless a deal is done. Any comments being made could be considered tampering which the league would come down on the Cowboys and likely cost us a draft pick for violations of the rule.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
James Washington was about one fifth of the player Earl Thomas is and he almost won the MVP award of Super Bowl 28 for the Cowboys.

You mistake a safety having a good Super Bowl with a safety PUSHING A TEAM INTO the Super Bowl. Super Bowl 28 was for the 1993 season and Washington had exactly ONE pick all season. HE WAS NOT what GOT the Cowboys to the Super Bowl. it was the triplets and an all around good defense - much much more than just Washington. Again, there's never been a safety that was THE MISSING PIECE to get a team to the Super Bowl.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Who says he doesn't? Richard can't really say anything until or unless a deal is done. Any comments being made could be considered tampering which the league would come down on the Cowboys and likely cost us a draft pick for violations of the rule.

And how do you know that Richard hasn't voiced any concerns to Jerry and Stephen and that is why the Cowboys haven't done anything. As far as saying anything about a player and worrying about any tampering charge by the league, teams say they aren't interested in trading for a player all the time. It's only tampering if they say things to entice the player to want to come to a team. Teams can publicly say they aren't interested in a player.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
And how do you know that Richard hasn't voiced any concerns to Jerry and Stephen and that is why the Cowboys haven't done anything. As far as saying anything about a player and worrying about any tampering charge by the league, teams say they aren't interested in trading for a player all the time. It's only tampering if they say things to entice the player to want to come to a team. Teams can publicly say they aren't interested in a player.

Dallas made an offer they choose not to come off their offer and I agree with them. Do I know what Richard has said to Jerry or Stephen or McClay no, do you? Dallas nor any coach will talk publicly about any player on another team so they like other clubs do not say much of anything. Coaches tend to deal with players they have not on players they don't have.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Exactly. I'm tired of being passive and trying to be salary cap champions and getting all these "good value" guys in here who are average and mediocre but hey, they are cheap! And we wonder why our defense never has any playmakers and is the root of all our playoff failures when it matters. The offense is not the problem. It's the defense. That side of the ball has been an issue for a long time. Especially DT and safety. Yet we keep ignoring those spots.

Until this year the Cowboys haven't had any cap space to go out and out bid teams for better players. As it is they always had to extend contracts just to be able to sign their own free agents they want and we all know all that did was add more dead money down the road and kept the vicious cycle going.

John813

Reaction score
Being 15m under the cap is a terrible waste of resources

There is no "value" in playing Heath over EThomas

Do we want a Mathlete that is good at accounting or an Athlete that is great at FS?????

Make it hap'n cap'n

Unless they plan on using that 15mil for rollover for next year.
However, it's looking less likely we retain Irving and we already account for any extension for D-Law with him being on the tag.
And it's doubtful we actually sign a big name FA.

You make a good point, go after Thomas lol.
But Thomas would play over Woods, no?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Yes and no, the Seahawks have him under contract but they are rebuilding and have already made a bunch of moves to shed salary.

Also the locker room issues go both ways, if you have a player wearing a sandwich board in front of the stadium that says "I want out" front and back - then you completely did in your heels, your locker room sees an All Pro teammate treated badly and wonders if they are next. Ever player coming up on free agency is going to assume they will get stiff armed too and plan on leaving.

The Seahawks do hold cards like you say, but very likely have to move him at some point and time isn't on their side.

Thomas blew much goodwill from most team mates last year when he told Garrett to come and get him. His team mates could see he didn't want to play there and then this year saying give me a new contract paying me this or trade me. Again team mates see someone that doesn't want to play there so him sitting out isn't hurting the locker room. Seattle holds the cards and has all of the time too. If he sits then next season he's still under contract for 2019. If he does come back by week 8 he looses all the money than he would have made PLUS the money he's fined for not reporting and he still could get tagged for next season. Seattle holds everything. I've said it before Thomas should talk to the last player who sat out a season, John Riggins, who after he retired say if he had to do it again he wouldn't. With the lost pay he almost lost everything he owned because of it.

Last edited:

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Dallas made an offer they choose not to come off their offer and I agree with them. Do I know what Richard has said to Jerry or Stephen or McClay no, do you? Dallas nor any coach will talk publicly about any player on another team so they like other clubs do not say much of anything. Coaches tend to deal with players they have not on players they don't have.

I don't know what might have been said but that was the point that nobody knows what Richard may have told Jones about any concerns he may have. As I said before, teams say publicly they are not interested in players all the time. That's not talking to them or about them just that they are not interested in acquiring a player. The fact that a trade hasn't happened by now and there hasn't been any new talks with Seattle should tell people that maybe the Cowboys are no longer interested. The way Thomas is acting could be part of the reason. Teams aren't looking for me me me type players especially if they have to give up something to get him plus having to play more for that player or just rent him for one season.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Again, there's never been a safety that was THE MISSING PIECE to get a team to the Super Bowl.

Past is not prologue. Your statement is factually accurate but I don't think an elite safety like ET has ever been traded before to a team that really was "one player away" on defense that needed a FS with his exact skill set.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Thomas blew much goodwill from most team mates last year when he told Garrett to come and get him.

Really? Thomas lost so much goodwill among teammates that Bobby Wagner makes public statements supporting him?

https://www.king5.com/article/sport...holdout-rips-nfl-business-model/281-572629450

NFL players have goodwill toward their own contracts first and their teammates second. If you asked them in private I would bet 95% of the Seahawk players would say they support Thomas and every other NFL player getting every penny they can.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I don't know what might have been said but that was the point that nobody knows what Richard may have told Jones about any concerns he may have. As I said before, teams say publicly they are not interested in players all the time. That's not talking to them or about them just that they are not interested in acquiring a player. The fact that a trade hasn't happened by now and there hasn't been any new talks with Seattle should tell people that maybe the Cowboys are no longer interested. The way Thomas is acting could be part of the reason. Teams aren't looking for me me me type players especially if they have to give up something to get him plus having to play more for that player or just rent him for one season.

He is not a member of the team so coaches are not going to spend time speculating they deal with players that are on the field right now. What may or may not be taking place behind closes doors is anyone guess. As for what Teams are looking for or not looking for? hell there is a lot Me players in the NFL that teams end up signing if they have the talent. What Thomas is doing in the last year of his contract is nothing new, he wants his deal extended or he wants to be traded. Everything else right now is speculation

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Past is not prologue. Your statement is factually accurate but I don't think an elite safety like ET has ever been traded before to a team that really was "one player away" on defense that needed a FS with his exact skill set.

It's not even "factually accurate".

Thomas Everett was an underrated piece that helped the Cowboys get over the hump and win their first two Championships. And I've pointed that out before. Some people just don't like to hear it and keep pushing a false narrative.