The Case Against an Earl Thomas Trade

Sydla

Reaction score
It amazes me to see so many fans against adding arguably the best safety in the game. I get that he's nearly 30 years old and will want big money, but we're talking about adding a talent that could take our young defense to the next level. The end game is to win a Super Bowl and every Cowboys fan wants that more than anything. Not saying getting ET would mean a guarantee Super Bowl, but it would damn sure make our team better and have a better chance at winning a championship. Like Sydla mentioned in a previous post, we're in year 8 with Garrett. I mean, how long do we have to wait for this team to break out with him at the helm. Go get Thomas and let's go win a damn championship. We've added plenty of young talent through the draft the last few years. Now let's go get that veteran that could potentially take this defense and this team to the next level.

People just become overly enamored with our young players and the concept of a young team, full of draft picks. Same thing happens in FA every time anyone mentions a vet they should look at, even a mid-level guy.

At some point you have to add that crucial vet.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You are one of the ones that has always talked about the defense holding Garrett back and lament the lack of talent on defense that hurt us in 14 and 16.

Well if you want to improve the defense, this team absolutely could and needs better safety play.

Heath is what he is. Great special teams guy, average safety.

I’m not overstating Heath’s value, only addressing the understatement of it.

If we do somehow end up trading for ET, he’s going to primarily take Woods’ spot and not Heath’s.

And, yes, we need to add dynamic playmakers on defense still.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Too old to begin the training. Quickest way to undo any gains is to dump draft picks and big contracts on old players.

No, the quickest way to squander any gains is to go into the season with a massive weakness on defense that will be easily exploited and lead to ultimate failure. I don’t like giving up high picks and giving large contracts to aging players either but this whole situation is an exception. Thomas is one of the best players in the entire league at the exact position where Dallas has nothing but below average talent. Denying those simple facts is just living in fantasyland. Thomas is a veteran leader which our young secondary players need and there is absolutely no reason to believe he can’t play at a high level for 2-3 more years. He knows Richard’s coverages inside and out and will be like adding a coach on the field. This is the type of no brainer move they must make to truely be a contender. If not having a 2nd round pick is such a huge deal, then get creative and recoup it with another deal. You have 8 months to do something to get a 2nd round pick back and you have a comp pick coming back for Hitchens. Not having a 2nd round pick next year isn’t going to mean anything if you have Earl Thomas for the next three years.

Last edited:

J12B

Reaction score
When does the process ever end?

In other words, never add a key veteran that will help you because they are too old and somehow would stunt the continuing but never finalizing growth of a team?

We can go after him in free agency where we can get him cheaper and keep draft capital.

Dallas will be fine without him this year if Seattle doesnt want to trade him to us for a 5th rounder.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
We can go after him in free agency where we can get him cheaper and keep draft capital.

Dallas will be fine without him this year if Seattle doesnt want to trade him to us for a 5th rounder.
If we are fine without him this year, then we wil be fine without him next year too. No reason to add him if the safeties prove to be fine. We can just resume wanting to not pay DLaw.

Sydla

Reaction score

The obsession with draft capital always has me chuckling.

The Cowboys would be foolish to turn down ET for. 3rd rounder.

Cowboys22

Reaction score

What does fine mean? So you’re fine with having subpar safeties and no chance to win in th playoffs? The team will in no way be fine this year with the current safeties if you have any desire to make a deep playoff run and become a legitimate contender.

J12B

Reaction score
What does fine mean? So you’re fine with having subpar safeties and no chance to win in th playoffs? The team will in no way be fine this year with the current safeties if you have any desire to make a deep playoff run and become a legitimate contender.

Fine is when they are neither considered a liability or strength. The unit will give up some plays here and there, but that is to be expected since this is a passing league.

We've used a high amount of resources (cap and draft picks) over the last several years on the dline and LB units. That's where we will be strong. Throw in a strong offense that can put up points and this team will get in the playoffs and anything can happen once you get in.

I'm confident Dallas will be in the playoffs this year without ET.

I'm fine for going after talent by either using draft picks or cap. But never sacrificing both for a single player. If ET goes down in injury we just screwed ourselves in a bunch of different ways and that risk is not necessary at this point.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Fine is when they are neither considered a liability or strength. The unit will give up some plays here and there, but that is to be expected since this is a passing league.

We've used a high amount of resources (cap and draft picks) over the last several years on the dline and LB units. That's where we will be strong. Throw in a strong offense that can put up points and this team will get in the playoffs and anything can happen once you get in.

I'm confident Dallas will be in the playoffs this year without ET.

I'm fine for going after talent by either using draft picks or cap. But never sacrificing both for a single player. If ET goes down in injury we just screwed ourselves in a bunch of different ways and that risk is not necessary at this point.

You are residing in fantasyland if you don’t think the safety group doesn’t represent a liability. The QBs that will be in the NFC playoffs will rip them apart. You improve your weaknesses anyway you can. Limiting the way you acquire talent is foolish. They have 8 months to recoup any pick given up for Thomas. Just get creative like other teams or trade around in next year’s draft to get a pick back. There really is no good arguement against making a strong push for ET if you have any desire or hope to see the team make a deep playoff run this year. The safety position in Dallas today is a total joke and anyone with half a brain can easily realize it and figure out this team has no chance to do anything this year if it stays as is but I guess you’re fine with that. I’m not.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I wonder if a 4 and Crawford or T. Will would do it.

I would do that in a heartbeat. It could be more appealing to Seattle also if Jerry pays down the salaries involved the way the Rams did with Tayvon Austin. IMO both Crawford and TWill are going to be beating out of starting jobs before the end of preseason.

Kaiser

Reaction score
You are residing in fantasyland if you don’t think the safety group doesn’t represent a liability. The QBs that will be in the NFC playoffs will rip them apart.

If NFC teams will rip Heath and Woods apart, why didn't they do it last year? Woods played slot corner for half the season and Heath started 15 games.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Huh? He ranks towards the bottom of safeties and is not an NFL caliber safety. Poor speed, tackling, instincts, takes poor angles and the list goes on. I have no idea which games you watch but he is pretty bad. Upside? This will be his 6th season. He has shown nothing at all to tell you he's above average or has any upside at all.

Poor speed? Dude runs a 4.4. PFF graded him as a quality starter.

J12B

Reaction score
If NFC teams will rip Heath and Woods apart, why didn't they do it last year? Woods played slot corner for half the season and Heath started 15 games.

Exactly. Most of the losses last year were due to the loss of Zeke and Tyrone Smith. The defense played well the 2nd half of the season. Losses against the rams and packers were on the defense, but really the corners/lbs (no lee) were the issue. Heath and Woods did their job.

Cowboys22

Reaction score

First off, I said the QBs that will be in the NFC playoffs. Do you want to go through the names of the most likely ones?

Second, what about last year should have anyone cheering for a repeat performance from Heath, Woods, and Frazier. Sure, they may make a few plays here and there but just aren’t good enough to be the starters for a deep playoff run in the NFC. Anyone who thinks they are is living in fantasyland.

J12B

Reaction score
Whoever says Heath doesnt make plays must've missed these game changing and season saving plays.

The dude makes plays

Sydla

Reaction score

Ummmmm.........

They did. Cowboys were like 26th in opposing passer rating. Teams had little trouble moving the ball against us through the air last year partly because of average safety play.

DiResta

Reaction score
consider that Kris Richards wants to be more aggressive and physical with the corners (which i like) but without a talented safety this could lead to some big plays
before they might give up yards but it was underneath
Earl just brings a tremendous presence to the secondary

Cowboys22

Reaction score
The dude makes plays

Yeah, once every 4 or 5 games and in between those plays other teams are feasting on subpar play. There have been way too many completions downfield with our safeties nowhere in sight, three steps late, or taking horrible angles. It’s way past time to get at least one real NFL caliber safety on the team.

DiResta

Reaction score
i dont see how anyone could be unwilling to see what an allpro safety brings to your (young) secondary
the leadership, experience, swagger, confidence of knowing you can be aggressive with your *** covered
its no different than any position even on the present team
you remove Tank and you are going to see qbs sit back there pretty comfortably
you remove Lee and thats a huge impact. and those are really the only 2 'great' proven players on the defense
now add 1 great player of your choice to any part of the defense
add Fletcher Cox
or Khalil Mack opposite Tank
or Luke Kueckly with Sean lee
or Jalen Ramsey with Chido
pretty dramatic huh?
because thats what adding Earl Thomas does

the only question is, how much?