The case against Chip Kelly as head coach

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am not denying there are ardent college football fans. but superbowl is an international phenomenon, with 600 million viewers. generally speaking NFL pits the best of college players against each other. not the best recruiting coaches. every college football player wants to be in the NFL. they don't just strive to win a college national championship...their dream from the time they are young is to win the superbowl….the superbowl pits the best of the best against each other. not the best college schools. again, not denying the popularity of college game.

regarding the browns...they maybe down, but they were some of the most ardent fans in the past and seemingly on their way back... Pittsburgh, Dallas, Commanders, giants, saints, GB, new England, Chicago.....they far exceed the following of any college program.

I'l give you that the super bowl is way bigger for the reasons you mentioned. College football is definetely more continental. But, it is also a different way of life and a different challenge than the NFL. It attracts a different kind of coach. Coaches like Saban, Jumbo Fisher, Dabo Swinney have all passed on NFL jobs, and choose to stay in college. That wasn't always the case. College used to be a stepping stone for NFL coaches and it still is in many ways, but there is a growing stable of elite college coaches that have no interest in the NFL.

In regard to the Browns, its a big fan base but OSU puts 100k plus in the seats every home game. Think the Browns could do that?

I like both. I think following college football makes the NFL more interesting b/c i've seen where many of the NFL players started.

Last edited: