The case against Chip Kelly as head coach

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Nick Saban left b/c he quickly realized he had no shot without a QB. He preferred the idea of recruiting one which is why he went back to college where a team's short comings could be addressed immediately. He had no patience for losing.

He won 9 games with Gus Freotte and tried to go after Brees.

While I agree with @erod on Myer, I think Saban & Petersen are viable.I like Lincoln too.

Saban especially has had innovative defenses & Petersen has been a winner with less than stellar recruiting.

erod

Reaction score

While I agree with @erod on Myer, I think Saban & Petersen are viable.I like Lincoln too.

Saban especially has had innovative defenses & Petersen has been a winner with less than stellar recruiting.
What do you think of Matt Rhule? That dude has done an incredible job at Baylor.

erod

Reaction score
Harbaugh, Carroll.

There isn't a lot of examples to be honest but Urban Meyer is still going to be better then anything we currently have and will at least give us some entertainment unlike what we've seen with JG.
Carroll was in the NFL for many years before he took the Seattle job. He was the head coach of the Jets and an assistant on mulitple staffs before that in the NFL. He left the pros to go to college.

Harbaugh, yes, but he was also an NFL by background. And he didn't last long before he wore out his welcome. Not sure he could get another gig in the NFL easily.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
What do you think of Matt Rhule? That dude has done an incredible job at Baylor.

That dude can coach. Although, I have some pretty strong "anybody's going to be better than Garrett bias" going right now.

I've seen David Shaw's name floated as well which might work if Jerry wants someone with experience at the NFL level.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Carroll was in the NFL for many years before he took the Seattle job. He was the head coach of the Jets and an assistant on mulitple staffs before that in the NFL. He left the pros to go to college.

Harbaugh, yes, but he was also an NFL by background. And he didn't last long before he wore out his welcome. Not sure he could get another gig in the NFL easily.

I just don't want a re-tread NFL guy that has won nothing because those guys usually continue to win nothing.

I think Urban Meyer will do what it takes to win. If he doesn't then replace him.

I'm fine with Riley too.

I just don't want anymore of this unconditional loyalty to a head coach ever again unless that coach provides a championship.

3 -5 years is all a coach should get at most.

Garrett got 10 years and for some of us it was obvious he wasn't the guy before he was even named the guy.

erod

Reaction score
That dude can coach. Although, I have some pretty strong "anybody's going to be better than Garrett bias" going right now.

I've seen David Shaw's name floated as well which might work if Jerry wants someone with experience at the NFL level.

Shaw's offense is just as old school as Garrett's. No on him.

Jerry is in major freak out mode, so perhaps he'll go the extra mile and make some concessions this time.

(Humor me anyway.)

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Shaw's offense is just as old school as Garrett's. No on him.

Jerry is in major freak out mode, so perhaps he'll go the extra mile and make some concessions this time.

(Humor me anyway.)

I think they know they have to make a splash.

Jerry tried to go back to having a buddy coach the team and he got nothing from it.

If they hire some guy that is just happy to be here then fans are going to start tuning this team out I guarantee it.

I'm a hardcore Cowboy fan and if they've just about lost me it's gotta be even worse for the casuals that make up the majority of the fan base.

I barely even pay attention to these games anymore. It's like a weekly re-run of the same garbage.

Tune in to find out how Dallas can lose this week or play down to their opponent's level.

6-7 and only 3 wins since starting 3-0.. Unbelievable.

John813

Reaction score

Saban wanted Brees and they made an offer to him and even flew out to Alabama to have dinner with Brees and his wife.
But the Dolphins medical staff did a 6 hour physical on Brees shoulder and then they lowballed Brees. Then they decided to go after Culpepper via trade, with a bad leg.
Even after Brees surgeon, Dr. James Andrews put out a statement that the shoulder will be back to 100%.

The irony is that although Saban's public stance was to blame the doctors but say he still believed the situation was salvagable, he privately was blaming the team medical staff and repeating, "We should have gotten that guy, we should have gotten that guy," referring to Brees.

https://miamiherald.typepad.com/dol...ubject-directly-for-the-first-time-it-wa.html

Probably played a role in why he bounced so early.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I know he tried to go after Brees.

Saban would be a better choice but he's not going anywhere. He prefers college ball and has made that clear.

BigTimeBlues

Reaction score

The same could be said about Meyer, but subjectively in a more grandiose fashion.

Ironically, Peterson I pulling a "Meyer" if you will, and stepping away from coaching.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Saban wanted Brees and they made an offer to him and even flew out to Alabama to have dinner with Brees and his wife.
But the Dolphins medical staff did a 6 hour physical on Brees shoulder and then they lowballed Brees. Then they decided to go after Culpepper via trade, with a bad leg.
Even after Brees surgeon, Dr. James Andrews put out a statement that the shoulder will be back to 100%.

The irony is that although Saban's public stance was to blame the doctors but say he still believed the situation was salvagable, he privately was blaming the team medical staff and repeating, "We should have gotten that guy, we should have gotten that guy," referring to Brees.

https://miamiherald.typepad.com/dol...ubject-directly-for-the-first-time-it-wa.html

Probably played a role in why he bounced so early.

It absolutely played a role. There were too many people making decisions. If Saban had enough control, he would have signed Brees. The statement from Andrews should have been enough, but it sounds like the Miami medical staff botched the physical and gave poor advice, and management made the offer that sent Brees to New Orleans. Again, too many folks in the decision pipeline. Saban could see the team was never going to compete for championships without an upgrade at QB. He was correct.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
I don’t know anyone who thinks Robert Saleh is a better coach than Riley and Meyer. Saleh’s defense was trash before Bosa came along this year. He’s not an X’s and O’s genius. He’s a product of his personnel.
there's a lot to be said for good drafting.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The NFL is no longer the "pinnacle" of coaching. Saban makes just as much as any NFL coach. Dabo Swinney makes just as much. That prestige factor isn't what it used to be............especially since players started making so much money. Its more rewarding to coach hungry college kids eager to learn than a roster composed of pompous millionaires more interested in their own businesses than football. There are plenty of coaches who could coach in the NFL but CHOOSE college football. The only allure is a new challenge and experience.
you are only comparing the money aspects. yes, college coaches make a lot of money these days, but back then NFL was still the pinnacle. I would argue it still is today, money aside. as a coach if you are competitive and want to go against the best, winning a superbowl beats winning a national championship any day of the week. but like you said, the money has evened things out a bit more

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
What about his years in Philly where he was Fired or SF where in left because he was FIRED just how Dumb are you I really want to know Wow !
you baffoon….the discussion in my responses was in regards to Saban, not Kelly, but you in your idiotic haste wanted to just jump in an attack without having followed any of the conversation...you are a moron, the village idiot as the saying goes

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
you are only comparing the money aspects. yes, college coaches make a lot of money these days, but back then NFL was still the pinnacle. I would argue it still is today, money aside. as a coach if you are competitive and want to go against the best, winning a superbowl beats winning a national championship any day of the week. but like you said, the money has evened things out a bit more

Its not just the money. It is not a slam dunk at all that winning a super bowl beats winning a national championship. It just depends on where you live. In Georgia, there 10x more UGA fans than falcon fans. Its not even close. In Tennessee, the Titans will never eclipse the Volunteers in football. OSU is wayyyy bigger than Cincy or Cleveland. The Saints have big fan base, but its nothing compared to LSU. So, I'm sure in Dallas a super bowl out ranks a college championship, but not in Atlanta.

Last edited:

jnday

Reaction score
Chip is another coach that should never be mentioned as a possible Cowboys coach. Please, just stop these threads.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Its not just the money. It is not a slam dunk at all that winning a super bowl beats winning a national championship. It just depends on where you live. In Georgia, there 10x more UGA fans than falcon fans. Its not even close. In Tennessee, the Titans will never eclipse the Volunteers in football. OSU is wayyyy bigger than Cincy or Cleveland. The Saints have big fan base, but its nothing compared to LSU. So, I'm sure in Dallas a super bowl is out ranks a college championship, but not in Atlanta.
I am not denying there are ardent college football fans. but superbowl is an international phenomenon, with 600 million viewers. generally speaking NFL pits the best of college players against each other. not the best recruiting coaches. every college football player wants to be in the NFL. they don't just strive to win a college national championship...their dream from the time they are young is to win the superbowl….the superbowl pits the best of the best against each other. not the best college schools. again, not denying the popularity of college game.

regarding the browns...they maybe down, but they were some of the most ardent fans in the past and seemingly on their way back... Pittsburgh, Dallas, Commanders, giants, saints, GB, new England, Chicago.....they far exceed the following of any college program.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I like him.
It all depends on the rope Jerry gives him.
Probably won't be long.