The case against Chip Kelly as head coach

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I don't follow your logic. Leaving after 1 season on one's own terms is by no means an admission of failure, especially in this case that you clearly aren't familiar with................you don't always have to have an opinion. If you don't know what the heck your talking about , just back away from the keyboard.
its not of success neither. just because he didn't fail after several years, doesn't mean he succeeded. his lone season didn't make the playoffs. he quit. I wouldn't say he succeeded. try to justify his one year as not a failure......to me quitting is failure.....sometimes even worse than actually trying and failing.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I'm still laughing at anyone comparing Urban Meyer to Chip Kelly. If you think they're the same then no one should take anything you say seriously. :muttley:

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
its not of success neither. just because he didn't fail after several years, doesn't mean he succeeded. his lone season didn't make the playoffs. he quit. I wouldn't say he succeeded. try to justify his one year as not a failure......to me quitting is failure.....sometimes even worse than actually trying and failing.

I never said he succeeded. He walked away and the Dolphins were pissed about it. If you followed the story while it was happening, you would know he clashed with the Dolphins GM. Saban wanted them to sign Drew Brees and the GM refused. So, Saban smartly decided to get out from under the GMs thumb and return to college where he could maneuver freely toward success. Its worked out great for him. The NFL process of cooperatively building a team with a GM overseer was not to his liking. If a team had offered him control over personnel, he might still be coaching in the NFL.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I never said he succeeded. He walked away and the Dolphins were pissed about it. If you followed the story while it was happening, you would know he clashed with the Dolphins GM. Saban wanted them to sign Drew Brees and the GM refused. So, Saban smartly decided to get out from under the GMs thumb and return to college where he could maneuver freely toward success. Its worked out great for him. The NFL process of cooperatively building a team with a GM overseer was not to his liking. If a team had offered him control over personnel, he might still be coaching in the NFL.

That's the point NFL is not for everyone..his ego and need for control took him back to college were he is revered. In the NFL he was just another coach.

And even with that long explanation it comes down to.him quitting.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's the point NFL is not for everyone..his ego and need for control took him back to college were he is revered. In the NFL he was just another coach.

And even with that long explanation it comes down to.him quitting.

Him returning to college had nothing to do with reverence or lack thereof in the NFL. Its just fact of life that folks leave jobs and pursue better opportunities. Have you never left a job ? Does that make you a quitter and unsuccessful? The fact is that the Alabama job is a better job than the Miami Dolphins. He would have been a fool to stay in the NFL and pass that gig up.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Him returning to college had nothing to do with reverence or lack thereof in the NFL. Its just fact of life that folks leave jobs and pursue better opportunities. Have you never left a job ? Does that make you a quitter and unsuccessful? The fact is that the Alabama job is a better job than the Miami Dolphins. He would have been a fool to stay in the NFL and pass that gig up.

There is no secret that NFL is pinnacle of coaching football. He left...no he quit after one year in the NFL as you said because He didnt have control that he wanted and probably realized I am not in Kansas anymore and clicked his heels three times to leave land of oz.. he is king in college. He is revered in college. In the NFL he was just a new head coach who had to answer to a GM and he didnt have final word on everything.

Now you want to argue semantics of anyone leaving a job...any job vs someone quitting one of only 32 jobs in the world!

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nick Saban left b/c he quickly realized he had no shot without a QB. He preferred the idea of recruiting one which is why he went back to college where a team's short comings could be addressed immediately. He had no patience for losing.
So, Saban went into the NFL without any confidence he could build a team or develop a QB, and he didn't understand that the reason he was hired by the Dolphins was to turn things around so they wouldn't continue losing?

Ron12

Reaction score
You are a Moron !

Ron12

Reaction score
There is no secret that NFL is pinnacle of coaching football. He left...no he quit after one year in the NFL as you said because He didnt have control that he wanted and probably realized I am not in Kansas anymore and clicked his heels three times to leave land of oz.. he is king in college. He is revered in college. In the NFL he was just a new head coach who had to answer to a GM and he didnt have final word on everything.

Now you want to argue semantics of anyone leaving a job...any job vs someone quitting one of only 32 jobs in the world!
What about his years in Philly where he was Fired or SF where in left because he was FIRED just how Dumb are you I really want to know Wow !

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The NFL is no longer the "pinnacle" of coaching. Saban makes just as much as any NFL coach. Dabo Swinney makes just as much. That prestige factor isn't what it used to be............especially since players started making so much money. Its more rewarding to coach hungry college kids eager to learn than a roster composed of pompous millionaires more interested in their own businesses than football. There are plenty of coaches who could coach in the NFL but CHOOSE college football. The only allure is a new challenge and experience.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Would be surprised if Kelly is even in consideration, let alone deserving of his very own thread
:D

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I think Urban Meyer is closer to a Pete Carroll then he is a Chip Kelly as far as how he would translate.

If anything Lincoln Riley is more of the Chip Kelly type.

Anything is better then Garrett. I'd rather fail miserably with another coach then maintain this level of mediocrity that brings false hope.

fansince68

Reaction score
What about his offense translates to the NFL?

In fact, Chip's offense translates better than Meyer's, and we saw how that turned out.
He he, Chip conditioned the heck out of the Eagles. Maybe we should hire Chip as conditioning coach.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
For the life of me, I just don't understand all this momentum for Urban Meyer.

Forget for a moment that he basically got run out of Ohio State for knowingly covering up years of horrific domestic violence for a key assistant coach. Forget that he was coaching a bunch of really evil players at Florida and didn't care. Forget the myriad of sleezy recruiting tactics he's known for.

What makes him a good NFL coaching candidate? Nobody from college has had success at the NFL level since Jimmy (Pete Carroll was in the NFL for many years before his stint at USC). College isn't a good place to even look unless you pick a very specific type of football mind.

How would Urban Meyer even translate?

He's the prime definition of the RPO offense. It's all he's ever run. It requires the likes of JT Barrett and Tim Tebow to run it, and Dak hardly looks the part for such an offense. Even Alex Smith was pretty much a runner in college under Meyer.

This smells of Chip Kelly allure.

We saw Kelly bring an even more creative version of that offense to the NFL, and it fell SPLAT in the NFL. Despite accolades from everywhere, that was a crash-and-burn of epic proportions. To this day, analysts like Cris Collinsworth and Jon Gruden (at the time) are embarrassed about how they went gooey over Chip and the "new NFL offense of the future."

Did Urban ever run his QB under center? Did he have read routes for his receivers? Did he employ NFL-style play action? Did anything he ran look NFL worthy, or did he just out-recruit the pants off of everybody and run up gaudy numbers against far lesser players?

The same goes for Chris Peterson and that nonsense offense.

The ONLY college guy I would even consider is Lincoln Riley because he focuses on the run game first and utilizes his QB under center a ton. His is an NFL style offense with fresh passing ideas mixed in and a deep passing game.

For what it's worth, Riley toyed with Meyer in Columbus the last time they met.

But I don't think either of them are the right guy. Jerry needs to go NFL first, and big names at that. I start with Bill Belichick, Mike Zimmer, Sean Payton, Greg Roman, Robert Saleh, etc. Shoot for the moon in the dark of the night, then look for quality assistant coach candidates in the NFL after that.

Just don't fall for Chip Kelly, Steve Spurrier, Greg Schiano, Bobby Petrino Nick Saban, etc.

Saban had no QB in Miami and left for greener pastures. He would have sorted Miami out. Are you really comparing Schiano, Petrino, Supurier and Kelly to Urban Meyer? Come on man. What is wrong with people?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Which is why they're just killing it in the NFL.

Name one coach that went straight from college to the NFL and had success other than Jimmy Johnson.

Harbaugh, Carroll.

There isn't a lot of examples to be honest but Urban Meyer is still going to be better then anything we currently have and will at least give us some entertainment unlike what we've seen with JG.