The Case Against Extending Elliott

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I get what you are saying, but the honest mistake is further entrenching yourself with a toxic contract in a guy who can only let those around him elevate his play.

Cowboys made the wrong decision by making the popular one in keeping Tony Romo on the bench. They are about to make another huge one for the same reason.

It honestly wouldn't be that hard to replace the guy, and if he's our ceiling I'd rather just be bad while positioning for a real franchise QB.

But to your point, you want to really see the team go in the toilet, just let Zeke sit out and watch what happens. See 6 games in 2017 which ended our playoff hopes.
We have a real franchise quarterback, unless you have somebody else in mind. There's no such thing as a leak in this league any longer. It's about team camaraderie scheme. This is the new NFL

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Like he's so irreplaceable. Stop it. It's stupid to pay a RB bank like that. The last team(Rams) that did it regret doing it and look how easily they replaced that guy in the playoffs to beat us.
I’ve been agreeing with you a lot lately but in this, we differ. Zeke is a special player and I want to see him in Dallas through his prime. Plus, I don’t think Dallas could get what he’s worth in a trade anyway.

As for the Rams regretting the Gurley contract... yeah, I imagine they do, but that’s because he has an arthritic knee that will bother him for the life of the contract. He came into the league off of a serious knee injury and will never be the same player he would have been minus the knee issues.

EzE has none of that. He’s dependable as the day is long and he pummels defenders. He’s still getting better, not worse like Gurley.

He’s an elite back and, IMO, I don’t want him anywhere but Dallas. He makes the Cowboys tougher to beat and makes them physically tougher. You can see defenders starting to quit in the fourth quarter when Zeke and his OL are rolling.

I don’t think the team wants anyone but him at RB. I see them signing him to a new contract eventually.

JMO of course.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I'll let you know when the time comes. There are so many RB's out there that could do a comparable job, just too numerous.
Well, I don’t know either. That’s why I asked. It’s crazy to say “trade Zeke”. Maybe at the end of the season, but not 1 week before training camp.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Actually I think they win some because he would have had another QB that executes the offense like he wants. Don't know if he wins them all but Brady is a hell of a lot more dependent on him than he is on Brady.

He sure as hell did a lot better than the coaches we have when QB1 was out.

Rocky, I can't make you see what you don't want to see but this staff has been terrible when starters are out and PHL actually had more out than the Cowboys and won a SB.

I know, you will say I am being negative but I see what I see, not what I want to see.
Philly definitely did better with their backup QB (the most important position) than the Cowboys have but that’s it. Nothing else is comparable.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Maybe we're looking at this problem from the wrong angle? This QB needs a run game, or at least has up until now, but the only reason he needs this RB is that he's the only RB1 he's had. Do we assume there aren't other RB's that can help the QB? Cheaper RB's? Maybe playing in college this season?
A good RB is a necessity, a top 5 paid one is a luxury.

The question on Zeke with regards to a follow on contract is how much RB we lose without him versus how much money we have to spend on him.

Also, putting all our eggs in the Zeke basket is a higher risk proposition than a RB by committee. And a RB by committee can run harder when in the game than a single bell cow.

You can't meaningfully evaluate signing Zeke, or any player, without comparing signing them to the likely alternatives if you don't.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
Top 3 RB's can bring you boat load in a trade, which is better than paying the RB a boatload. Top RBs are replaced all the time without skipping a beat. Zeke is replaceable and he certainly is not so valuable to the team that he gets paid a boatload. Trade is the best course of action here.

Why would another team trade us a boatload for a guy you claim is easily replaced?

Anyway, I agree that it would be a mistake to pay him.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Draft picks are the most valued commodity in the nfl. It's hard to get them from another team.
For Zeke we can get two 1st round picks. I think Jerry Jones can make that happen.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
There is no case. Extend him now for 3 years with a 4th year option. He’s good for at least that long. It’s freaking amazing to me how some fans want to get rid of the best RB in the last 10 years if not longer. And don’t tell me let him play out his remaining 2 years. You think Zeke is going to let that happen? No.
And that’s the most settling factor. Zeke isn’t just going to let his final 2 years of his contract play out.

I’m not sure we anticipated this. I think it’s certainly caught the fan base off guard. We have been so focused on paying Dak, Cooper and others we thought we had at least next year and maybe longer.

And even if we decided not to extend when time came we’d have his talent helping us win and possibly reaching our goals.

But this has all come to an abrupt halt if Elliott is demanding to be paid now or sit. It changes everything in how we manage the cap signing Prescott and Cooper pending our decision with Elliott. Not to mention the effects on the season if he sits out.

And the fact we’ve heard nothing might mean it’s caught everyone else off guard too. Shoot, just a week or so ago we weren’t sure if he’d be suspended or not. But this changes everything. Wow just wow

Last edited:

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Zeke is THE best RB in the NFL right now

I don’t want him paid this off season but he should be paid next year

Without Zeke we’re 8-8
If you think that the best running back in the NFL you haven't been truly paying attention. The best running back in the NFL is in New York. Elliott could be the best. Just needs to focus get his head on straight

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Zeke is THE best RB in the NFL right now

I don’t want him paid this off season but he should be paid next year

Without Zeke we’re 8-8
Speculation. We are definitely better with him. But average no

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If we don’t have an Elite RB and top 4 rushing offense how does that effect a 22nd ranked offense?

Can Dak and our passing game carry us without a dominating running game?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I’ve been agreeing with you a lot lately but in this, we differ. Zeke is a special player and I want to see him in Dallas through his prime. Plus, I don’t think Dallas could get what he’s worth in a trade anyway.

As for the Rams regretting the Gurley contract... yeah, I imagine they do, but that’s because he has an arthritic knee that will bother him for the life of the contract. He came into the league off of a serious knee injury and will never be the same player he would have been minus the knee issues.

EzE has none of that. He’s dependable as the day is long and he pummels defenders. He’s still getting better, not worse like Gurley.

He’s an elite back and, IMO, I don’t want him anywhere but Dallas. He makes the Cowboys tougher to beat and makes them physically tougher. You can see defenders starting to quit in the fourth quarter when Zeke and his OL are rolling.

I don’t think the team wants anyone but him at RB. I see them signing him to a new contract eventually.

JMO of course.
You are so in love with Zeke which makes it hard for you to image ever trading him. I've never put my like for any one player above what's good for the team. I like your point about Zeke being as dependable as the day is long. That point ought to be made to the team we trade him to, which is why we will ask so much for him... and get it. The bottom line is he doesn't have such an irreplaceable skill set that we need to pay him a bank. There are so many great RBs out there that are cheaper, we can win without him if we make a good deal. I guess it comes down to how much you like him as a RB. For me there is no RB worth paying a bank to and there never will be. I'm not alone with that policy. Bill Belicheat never paid a bank for a RB.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You are so in love with Zeke which makes it hard for you to image ever trading him. I've never put my like for any one player above what's good for the team. I like your point about Zeke being as dependable as the day is long. That point ought to be made to the team we trade him to, which is why we will ask so much for him... and get it. The bottom line is he doesn't have such an irreplaceable skill set that we need to pay him a bank. There are so many great RBs out there that are cheaper, we can win without him if we make a good deal. I guess it comes down to how much you like him as a RB. For me there is no RB worth paying a bank to and there never will be. I'm not alone with that policy. Bill Belicheat never paid a bank for a RB.
There’s definitely a good case against not paying Elliott.

The bigger issues are the effects this year without him.

What will the perception be if we extend Dak and he looks awful with Elliott. There’s much to consider.

How could this effect Moore as OC, etc . There’s potential for much fallout from his absence on the field this year without a suitable replacement and the unknown moving forward.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Well, I don’t know either. That’s why I asked. It’s crazy to say “trade Zeke”. Maybe at the end of the season, but not 1 week before training camp.
Just because I'm saying trade him doesn't mean I'm talking about trade him now. I want him to play under his rookie contract this coming season. The problem is he is threatening to hold out of training camp. To that I say let him hold out as long as he wants to. He's only hurting himself if he holds out into the season. Then we do what you suggest, trade him at the end of the season. I bet we can get a couple of 1st round picks for him.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Why would another team trade us a boatload for a guy you claim is easily replaced?

Anyway, I agree that it would be a mistake to pay him.
Because there are differences in philosophy everywhere. It's not hard to find someone that thinks differently.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
There’s definitely a good case against not paying Elliott.

The bigger issues are the effects this year without him.

What will the perception be if we extend Dak and he looks awful with Elliott. There’s much to consider.

How could this effect Moore as OC, etc . There’s potential for much fallout from his absence on the field this year without a suitable replacement and the unknown moving forward.
I like Zeke but this is how I got to where am now, which is "trade him". Make a good deal, one worth his absence. And stop being in like with any one player that you put him above what good for the team. For what we can get for Zeke, he will pay for his own replacement in trade.