The Case Against Extending Elliott

Blackrain

Reaction score
The case for seems to revolve around two points.

1) He's a top 3 RB.

Can't argue that point and he'd probably be #1 if he scored more TD's on a team ranked 22nd in scoring in the NFL and 14th in the NFC. You read that right, 14th in the NFC behind the NYG and PHL. The only two NFC teams to score less were WAS and AZ.

The point I will argue is the necessity of a top 3 RB on any team.

2) The Cowboys run the offense through him and the QB is not as good without him in the game.

Can't argue that point either but is there a good reason to continue doing that with the price of the player? Is that what this offense is going to be dependent on for the QB? If so, take a look at that scoring ranking in the NFC again. A full 10 ppg behind the NFCCG participants. The QB needs THIS RB to average 21 ppg?

Maybe we're looking at this problem from the wrong angle? This QB needs a run game, or at least has up until now, but the only reason he needs this RB is that he's the only RB1 he's had. Do we assume there aren't other RB's that can help the QB? Cheaper RB's? Maybe playing in college this season?

The real case for not having a top 5 paid RB is that if this offense continues to run the offense through him, it's not going anywhere. That's the offense of yesteryear and if you think they promoted an ex QB to OC to run the ball, think that one again. All of this sign Elliott is based on that #2 point. If you expect that to continue, then expect another OC next season.

The name of the game is scoring and he doesn't do that. Top 5 paid RB's don't rank 19th in rushing TD's. And top 5 paid RB's don't get 47 yards on 20 carries and 2 catches for 19 in the most important game of the season.

A good RB is a necessity, a top 5 paid one is a luxury.

We are coached by the Mediocre the inexperienced and the Lions retreads so yes a guy who can get 5 yrds a shot is a necessity to get us to our ceiling of the playoffs

You say we are going the opposite way Belicheck would go and its very true but we don't have as talented a coach so we have to stick with ball control and eating the clock because we can not manage it at the end of games we need an Oline and a RB that can finish off the game and not leave it in the coaches hands to screw up .

Top 5 OLine and RB get us to the playoffs with Garrett as coach . They can overcome him against many teams in the regular season , enough to make the tournament . Then when everyone is good the load becomes too great and we are outcoached .

Its really been proven to be that simple

Last edited:

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
You’re nuts Joe, no offense buddy. I kinda think you’re just messin’ with us.
I freakin' love Zeke Elliott! The problem is, he's a RB. There isn't a single RB in the league worth paying a bank for. Some people believe this philosophy and some do not. That's all it comes down to.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I like Zeke but this is how I got to where am now, which is "trade him". Make a good deal, one worth his absence. And stop being in like with any one player that you put him above what good for the team. For what we can get for Zeke, he will pay for his own replacement in trade.
So, you think we’ll get a suitable replacement in trade this year? I’m thinking if we get draft picks that won’t help us until next year.

What could this mean or the effects on this season without Elliot?

Who thinks we’re a better team this year without Elliott?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
So, you think we’ll get a suitable replacement in trade this year? I’m thinking if we get draft picks that won’t help us until next year.

If all we get is draft picks, of course we won't be getting a replacement of his caliber this year. But it will set us less further back than trying to pay bank for Tank, Dak, Cooper, Jones and Zeke. Being in cap space hell is terrible for a team. Don't you remember that?

aria

Reaction score
I freakin' love Zeke Elliott! The problem is, he's a RB. There isn't a single RB in the league worth paying a bank for. Some people believe this philosophy and some do not. That's all it comes down to.
I completely agree with ya there, minus the love part ;) but no one is giving up 2 first rounders for him, a mid to late 1st rounder would be pushing it IMO.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If all we get is draft picks, of course we won't be getting a replacement of his caliber this year. But it will set us less further back than trying to pay bank for Tank, Dak, Cooper, Jones and Zeke. Being in cap space hell is terrible for a team. Don't you remember that?
Of course but Cap hell isn't as damaging if you’re a talent latent team. No one will care if we’re hoisting the Lombardi.

I think the bigger question is which pieces are more valuable. Normally the rule in Cap era is don’t over pay guys you can easily replace in draft.

Will we need an overall 4th pick to replace Elliott? IDK. We only used a 4th round pick this year on a RB so we obviously didn’t Anticipate this move by Elliott.

My bigger concern is this year. What will the effects be without Elliott? And the perception be if this offense falters after signing Prescott and Cooper? I just don’t think it portrays a good image and concern of the effects moving forward with Prescott.

Last edited:

aria

Reaction score

With our O line back to form and Cooper, we don’t ned the same production out of Zeke and I would think he won’t he get the ball as much this year.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The Herschel Walker trade was the largest player trade in the history of the National Football League. Jerry Jones need to try to make the Ezekiel Elliott trade the second biggest trade in the history of the National Football league.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I completely agree with ya there, minus the love part ;) but no one is giving up 2 first rounders for him, a mid to late 1st rounder would be pushing it IMO.
Jerry can make it happen. Zeke is healthy and young and a proven commodity.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Of course but Cap hell isn't as damaging if you’re a talent latent team. No one will care if we’re hoisting the Lombardi.

I think the bigger question is which pieces are more valuable. Normally the rule in Cap era is don’t over pay guys you can easily replace in draft.

Will we need an overall 4th pick to replace Elliott? IDK. We only used a 4th round pick this year on a RB so we obviously didn’t Anticipate this move by Elliott.

My bigger concern is this year. What will the effects be without Elliott? And the perception be if this offense falters after signing Prescott and Cooper? I just don’t think it portrays a good image and concern of the effects moving forward with Prescott.
That's a damn big if my friend. There are no guarantees in this league. We can get to the SB without Zeke.

aria

Reaction score
Jerry can make it happen. Zeke is healthy and young and a proven commodity.
Jerrah is going on 20+ years without making anything happen.

Zeke also wants a lot of money, is a liability and has more carries than any other RB over the past 3 years, or at least 2 of the 3. It also remains to be seen what he can do without a top 5 or 10 O line. A lot of people bash Murray because he wasn’t nearly as good without a top O line, I’m sure Zeke would do better but I doubt he would have the same results as he did here.

Last edited:

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
But yet not worth paying to us?
We are talking about differences in philosophy. Mine is to never pay bank to a RB. Get a good deal for him in trade and use that to replace him and fill other holes. I really do see this as potentially the second coming of the great deal that Jerry Jones made for Herschel Walker.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We are talking about differences in philosophy. Mine is to never pay bank to a RB. Get a good deal for him in trade and use that to replace him and fill other holes. I really do see this as potentially the second coming of the great deal that Jerry Jones made for Herschel Walker.
Lol

aria

Reaction score
That was the biggest joke of a trade minus RG3 and will never, ever...ever, ever, ever happen again for a RB.
That was also all Jimmy BTW.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Jerrah is going on 20+ years without making anything happen.

Zeke also wants a lot of money, is a liability and has more carries the ball than any other RB over the past 3 years, or at least 2 of the 3. It also remains to be seen what he can do without a top 5 or 10 O line. A lot of people bash Murray because he wasn’t nearly as good without a top O line, I’m sure Zeke would do better but I doubt he would have the same results as he did here.
Everyone has an opinion, thanks for sharing.