The case for going for Lawrence

cern

Reaction score
First off, let me say that I like Dak Prescott, I think he is a very good, not great, QB, and even the Dakaters have to notice the team with and without him which is exactly my point. The team needs someone better at that position unless you believe this team's management is capable of doing something they haven't done in decades, build a team around a QB.

They haven't done it with Prescott as well as his predecessor and even admitted that, failed to build around Romo. The fact that they lucked into both of these QB's should also be considered.

There are two questions regarding Trevor Lawrence, three if you consider why he doesn't become an English actor with that name. But the main two are is he better than what the Cowboys have now and what will it take to get him away from the two teams, JAX and NYJ, that have him in their sights?

Now, we must also consider the considerable team that Swinney has built around Lawrence, just as he did Watson. That must be taken into account when considering Fields as well.

But for the sake of argument and this thread, Lawrence is a better QB now than Prescott has developed into and he has nothing but upside. He is the first QB since P. Manning to deliver on being the most highly recruited QB in his class. If you don't agree with this, then this thread doesn't make sense to you but I have watched a lot of Lawrence play the position and consider him the real deal.

The second question is a tough one because if the Cowboys do not end up with the 1st pick, trading up for it will be very expensive in draft capital. If that can even be done. JAX ends up with that and they'd have a hard time passing on Lawrence since he's played in the neighborhood and if they're in that position, we'll see the same response as we saw from the CIN fans when the season became all about Burrow.

OK, you can let me have it now but I just don't think Prescott is good enough to lift this team beyond a mid level team. They ranked #1 in offense and we're 8-8 and what did they look like this season with Prescott at the helm? Is it a risk? Absolutely, but isn't giving Prescott a 4 or 5 X 35-40M a year even a bigger risk when you consider who the team builders are?

This is not about Dak Prescott, I think there are teams he could take to the Big Dance. This is about trying to overcome what's been holding this team back for two and half decades, management.

And if you want to consider something else, this HC had one of the best QB's in the history of the NFL and the most accurate one I have ever seen and he could only get one ring and ended up canned and that team doing better without him.

McC has this rep as a QB guru but who wouldn't with those QB's? The better the QB, the better the guru.

All comes down to one simple question. Do you want more of the same or do you want to take a chance? This is about change but what needs to be changed, management, will not so what's the next best thing?
there is only one question. why would anyone think the jets or jags would ever accept anything for the right to get lawrence. they would have to be stupid to do so. they would become anathema to the fans. they would become the laughing stock of the nfl. in the case of the jets, they still have darnold and could probably get a healthy pick of two for his services. in the case of the jags, brady's been up and down like a yoyo and is clearly not their future. a rainbow is just refracted light. there is no gold at the end.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I would back it up in this draft, trade back and secure that left tackle, but Jerry wont do that.
Sewell should be a target pick.
Have to start the rebuild in the trenches, and LT is the origin.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Ah yeah, it's the Bengals we will be facing. They are much better than their record.
They are. Agreed. Especially in Ohio in December.

Head to head has nothing to do with draft tiebreakers btw.

I honestly see Dallas finding it's way into 1-2 wins easily.

It makes all this QB talk moot, but we can still pick up a stud player and go from there.

Its VERY debatable with this staff if we want to grab a virtual guarantee vs trade back and throw darts.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
there is only one question. why would anyone think the jets or jags would ever accept anything for the right to get lawrence. they would have to be stupid to do so. they would become anathema to the fans. they would become the laughing stock of the nfl. in the case of the jets, they still have darnold and could probably get a healthy pick of two for his services. in the case of the jags, brady's been up and down like a yoyo and is clearly not their future. a rainbow is just refracted light. there is no gold at the end.
Agree, that is the obstacle in the way and the fact that Burrow, Herbert and Tua are looking like righteous picks will only strengthen their stance to take Lawrence and Fields. We haven't seen the signs come out yet but we will, just like in CIN last year. When you get your fanbase cheering louder for the opposition because it puts them in a better draft position, you have arrived at a place no team should be.

However, there is another QB rising that if the Cowboys were to have the 3rd pick, they could either trade or take Trask. In that case, they need to be thinking players instead of picks. They've actually done better at trades for players.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Right. No way Jets are winning 2 or 3 games.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would back it up in this draft, trade back and secure that left tackle, but Jerry wont do that.
Sewell should be a target pick.
Have to start the rebuild in the trenches, and LT is the origin.
Very tricky trading back for him because this isn't a deep draft and very few D blue chippers. He's already been mocked as the 3rd pick by quite a few. And LT is always a hot commodity.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Very tricky trading back for him because this isn't a deep draft and very few D blue chippers. He's already been mocked as the 3rd pick by quite a few. And LT is always a hot commodity.
I totally agree and have full understanding of this draft class,, I would actually trade out of the 1st if we are not top 2-4.
Sucks to suck this year.

conner01

Reaction score
Hey guys let's talk about getting things that are unattainable but that make great sense

Maybe we can trade for Patrick mahomes instead
I think some see being at 3 see him as possible after a trade
First I don’t think jets would trade and second the cost guys a couple years of drafts
So you are right, it ain’t happening unless the jets start winning

jnday

Reaction score
The probability of success is far higher with Dak.

They get Dak plus a boat load of picks for trading down vs 1 college player.

The Cowboys were on an unprecedented pace of offensive production with Dak at QB despite have 2 udfa OTs. They had over 300 more passing yards than the #2 team for that stat. They were also #1 in total yards and #2 in points scored.

With a top 12 defense they would likely have been undefeated.
If they pay Dak, there will not be enough money to build a defense or any other positions that needs to be upgraded. Those stats means absolutely nothing when you figure in how they came about and the number of wins the stats translated into.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
If they pay Dak, there will not be enough money to build a defense or any other positions that needs to be upgraded. Those stats means absolutely nothing when you figure in how they came about and the number of wins the stats translated into.
I'm not sure that's true. Prescott was tagged for 31+ million. We're nearly 28 million under the cap. If he's extended, his salary is spread out and would have even less impact.

cern

Reaction score
dak is an outstanding qb. but we were still losing when he was playing. the reason.........our incredibly lousy defense. that is where we need to use our first picks. cb, lb, still need a decent safety. woods isn't the answer. still aren't settled at the tackle position.

Reactions: G2

cern

Reaction score
not necessarily. look how creative the chiefs were in signing mahomey and still being able to sign kelce. the texans went the old fashioned route of money and length of contract in signing watson. but in so doing, they had to get rid of hopkins. not a smart move. i think stephen will come up with something new in dealing with dak this year.

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
First off, let me say that I like Dak Prescott, I think he is a very good, not great, QB, and even the Dakaters have to notice the team with and without him which is exactly my point. The team needs someone better at that position unless you believe this team's management is capable of doing something they haven't done in decades, build a team around a QB.

They haven't done it with Prescott as well as his predecessor and even admitted that, failed to build around Romo. The fact that they lucked into both of these QB's should also be considered.

There are two questions regarding Trevor Lawrence, three if you consider why he doesn't become an English actor with that name. But the main two are is he better than what the Cowboys have now and what will it take to get him away from the two teams, JAX and NYJ, that have him in their sights?

Now, we must also consider the considerable team that Swinney has built around Lawrence, just as he did Watson. That must be taken into account when considering Fields as well.

But for the sake of argument and this thread, Lawrence is a better QB now than Prescott has developed into and he has nothing but upside. He is the first QB since P. Manning to deliver on being the most highly recruited QB in his class. If you don't agree with this, then this thread doesn't make sense to you but I have watched a lot of Lawrence play the position and consider him the real deal.

The second question is a tough one because if the Cowboys do not end up with the 1st pick, trading up for it will be very expensive in draft capital. If that can even be done. JAX ends up with that and they'd have a hard time passing on Lawrence since he's played in the neighborhood and if they're in that position, we'll see the same response as we saw from the CIN fans when the season became all about Burrow.

OK, you can let me have it now but I just don't think Prescott is good enough to lift this team beyond a mid level team. They ranked #1 in offense and we're 8-8 and what did they look like this season with Prescott at the helm? Is it a risk? Absolutely, but isn't giving Prescott a 4 or 5 X 35-40M a year even a bigger risk when you consider who the team builders are?

This is not about Dak Prescott, I think there are teams he could take to the Big Dance. This is about trying to overcome what's been holding this team back for two and half decades, management.

And if you want to consider something else, this HC had one of the best QB's in the history of the NFL and the most accurate one I have ever seen and he could only get one ring and ended up canned and that team doing better without him.

McC has this rep as a QB guru but who wouldn't with those QB's? The better the QB, the better the guru.

All comes down to one simple question. Do you want more of the same or do you want to take a chance? This is about change but what needs to be changed, management, will not so what's the next best thing?
you lost me at dakater

starfan1

Reaction score
It is very unreasonable to think we run the table when we have rotating QBs. You can have a revolving door at any other position, it doesn't work like that at QB.

Washington 2-6
Minny 3-5
NYG 2-7
San Fran 4-5
Philly 3-4-1
Baltimore 6-2

We have 2 wins! Can i see 4 more? you bet in fact I can see 5. Its doubtful yes but not out of the question. Unfortunately we are also capable of losing out. That said the Lawrence case is out of the question. The Jets ,Jags, and football team maybe will look QB and I can make a case for Minny, Chicago

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

There is no case

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Washington 2-6
Minny 3-5
NYG 2-7
San Fran 4-5
Philly 3-4-1
Baltimore 6-2

We have 2 wins! Can i see 4 more? you bet in fact I can see 5. Its doubtful yes but not out of the question. Unfortunately we are also capable of losing out. That said the Lawrence case is out of the question. The Jets ,Jags, and football team maybe will look QB and I can make a case for Minny, Chicago
Don't sleep on ATL at QB either. MIA has HOU's pick and may use that to replace the LT they traded to them.

khiladi

Reaction score
FO saying they aren’t going to draft a Qb is only to protect the fragile QB they have right now on franchise tag and because they still haven’t given up on the season. If they suck, don’t believe the hype that they aren’t drafting a QB that has franchise written all over him.