The case for going for Lawrence

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is that because of Dak, or because of the guys around him, particularly the defense and ST (which, until recently was quite a liability)? What QB can make his defense and ST play better? I'm not saying Dak is the best QB there is, but I don't know if there's such a thing as a QB who's good enough to win against good teams with the supporting cast Dak has had.
That is questionable but we do have the answer with Prescott. His record against the better teams is not good. Even in a year that he was on a record pace, they could only manage 17 against LAR.

Runny, I don't know if another QB could do any better but I've seen enough of this one to know I'd like to see another. And that's nothing against him, he's a good guy and good QB that gives everything he's got when he's on that field.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
nor it is unreasonable to see 6 or 7 victories although Diggs injury hurts.

It is very unreasonable to think we run the table when we have rotating QBs. You can have a revolving door at any other position, it doesn't work like that at QB.

kumizi

Reaction score
Based on what? We are in a battle with a few teams, Jags, Jets, Commanders, Chargers, Texans and Bengals. Chargers and Bengals are far better than their records, we already lost to the Skins and will be playing them again, Texans will win another game, so it comes down to Jags, Jets, and Cowboys.

That % is a lot higher. Looking at our schedule, it's not unreasonable to think we don't win another game.
The Jets arent going to win 2 games.

blueblood70

Reaction score
@CouchCoach is obsessed with Jerry.

He probably still hates him for firing Landry.

In reality Jerry is minimally involved in football operations the past several years. As long as Jerry gets the camera and mic time with the media he stays out of everything else. Stephen Jones pushed Garrett out and hired McCarthy. It was obvious Jerry on his own would have retained Garrett.

Stephen Jones has a plan and philosophy of building a team. I don't know for certain that it is a good plan/philosophy but he does have one which is something that Jerry never had. Jerry was a wildcatter. SJ is more of an Exxon CEO type.
:hammer:and with new staff its new voice and set of eyes to help the scouts, MCclay etc with making the draft picks this season, hopefully its better then the old one..especially on defense

blueblood70

Reaction score
The Jets arent going to win 2 games.
hey made that clear last night, under 5mins that Throw and INT by flacco was INT call a team makes trying to seal that gamme..they let NE win.all they had to do was run clock that drive..NE would not have had time for that last FG..

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

In reality Jerry is minimally involved in football operations the past several years. As long as Jerry gets the camera and mic time with the media he stays out of everything else. Stephen Jones pushed Garrett out and hired McCarthy. It was obvious Jerry on his own would have retained Garrett.

Stephen Jones has a plan and philosophy of building a team. I don't know for certain that it is a good plan/philosophy but he does have one which is something that Jerry never had. Jerry was a wildcatter. SJ is more of an Exxon CEO type.
CC does dislike Jerry (I almost wrote "Booger", lol) but I think it's more about Jerry's constant need for attention and his need to be seen as an intelligent football guy.

CC is a great guy, and a fantastic poster, but we can't all agree on everything about this team. He doesn't expect everyone to agree with his views, and I doubt he'd want everyone to. That would be boring, and he knows it.

Motorola

Reaction score
bbic, check the offense against the better teams. It wasn't great.
In all 8 wins last season, the Cowboys scored 31 points or more.
In 6 of those games the points were 35, 35, 37, 37, 44, 47
In 8 losses, Dallas had scored 24 points 3 times and 22 once.
The other four scores: 15, 10, 9, 9.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

No, I am not obsessed with him but if you watched the 2019 draft when there was a trade on the table in the 3rd, what did you see? I saw every eye turned toward him and not one on the son. You hear the story of McC selling himself in a 12 hour interview to whom? Which Jones in that meeting do you think he had to sell?

As far as Landry, I didn't like the way he handled that but the Landry era was over. He, along with Brandt and Schramm, had lost their edge. And Booger has said that if he had the chance to do that over, he would handle it with more care so that's no longer an issue.

This is all about trying to get the best team on the field while strapped with these incompetents and maybe having a shot because of a bad season getting worse.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
That is questionable but we do have the answer with Prescott. His record against the better teams is not good. Even in a year that he was on a record pace, they could only manage 17 against LAR.

Runny, I don't know if another QB could do any better but I've seen enough of this one to know I'd like to see another. And that's nothing against him, he's a good guy and good QB that gives everything he's got when he's on that field.
Don't get me wrong, you know I'm not a Dakophant. I just know we've seen equal or worse QBs win the SB, based partly on the strength of their defense.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Have they ever been saddled with a defense and ST as inept as this team's?
yes Seatle started 6-0 with just that and BTW stop saying out SYT is bad this year they have been great compared to years past..

ironic the difference in our 1-3 start with dak lets call it 2-3 the one dak didnt finish he had the lead..was the turnovers by Dak and Zeke, shultz always something to start the other teams momentum..

weLl RW couldn't afford to do that and hadn't to that point, however last 2 games he had like 8 turnovers and guess what 0-2 NOW.

their defense was as bad the first 6 games as ours Mahomes had to engineer comebacks AGAINST PLAYOFF CALIBER TEAM IN THE PLAYOFFS DOWN 24, 17, AND IN THE SB ALSO COME FROM BEHIND..HE CAN THERE ARE VERY FEW BUT YES I GET YOUR POINT..

BUT NO WAY DAK SHOULD GET PAID LIKE THEM BECAUSE HE CANT OR HASNT SHOWN HE COULD DO THAT,..THATS THE TOUGH PART..

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CC does dislike Jerry (I almost wrote "Booger", lol) but I think it's more about Jerry's constant need for attention and his need to be seen as an intelligent football guy.

CC is a great guy, and a fantastic poster, but we can't all agree on everything about this team. He doesn't expect everyone to agree with his views, and I doubt he'd want everyone to. That would be boring, and he knows it.
I actually have no problem with Booger running his team, never have, he bought it and can ruin it. Not a typo.

My problem with him has always been him, not the GM or owner him, but that needy celebrity him, I think he's pathetic, like some old actress trying to remain relevant. And the ******* has run his mouth for decades and still cannot form cognitive sentences.

And you are right, I start a thread or make a post, I expect disagreement and discord with my opinion but it is mine and I will defend it the best I can while respecting others' opinions (as deadass wrong as they might be) and this does not get personal with me.

I can disagree with anyone here and still agree that their opinion is just as important and valid to them as mine is to me. It is my opinion and open to disagreement but that doesn't mean I don't still like that poster and discussing stuff with them.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
It is very unreasonable to think we run the table when we have rotating QBs. You can have a revolving door at any other position, it doesn't work like that at QB.
You might be right, who knows with this team. But you have to consider that minus a penalty or two, we could have beaten one of the best teams in the NFL.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jethro and his Cheapskate Son would screw up this franchise with Trevor Lawrence too.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don't get me wrong, you know I'm not a Dakophant. I just know we've seen equal or worse QBs win the SB, based partly on the strength of their defense.
Absolutely but those teams weren't built by follow the ball GM's. And those team,s primarily the '85 Bears, '00 Ravens and '03 Bucs weren't able to sustain or re-create that. Quickest path is with an elite QB but he still needs some support.

I do not blame Prescott for this team's shortcomings but I would like to see another one to see what he can do.

Sandyf

Reaction score
How many on this board really believe that the Jets or Jaguars are really going to win another game this season? They will end up being 1,2 in the draft and the Jets will take Lawrence and the Jags will take Fields. Pretty simple. It is just the way it will be. The Jets only chance is probably New England at the end of the year and the Jags will literally be double digit underdogs in all their remaining games.

Sure either of them could win 1 more game and in the Jets maybe 2 but then strength of schedule would take places for ties and in the NFC least Dallas would lose those ties to both of them. Maybe the thread show be about an OT or LB or DT because QB ain't going to change.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jethro and his Cheapskate Son would screw up this franchise with Trevor Lawrence too.
I don't think he's a cheapskate because they're as butted up against the cap as most teams. He's let dry wells in FA make him reticent about being a player so he's a risk manager in FA and I do think Booger leaves most of that up to him and McClay. It's not fun or sexy like the draft and there are no cameras.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
yes Seatle started 6-0 with just that and BTW stop saying out SYT is bad this year they have been great compared to years past..
I've said, "until recently"

ironic the difference in our 1-3 start with dak lets call it 2-3 the one dak didnt finish he had the lead..was the turnovers by Dak and Zeke, shultz always something to start the other teams momentum..
Yes, turnovers by Dak, Zeke, and others have helped lose games.

weLl RW couldn't afford to do that and hadn't to that point, however last 2 games he had like 8 turnovers and guess what 0-2 NOW.

their defense was as bad the first 6 games as ours Mahomes had to engineer comebacks AGAINST PLAYOFF CALIBER TEAM IN THE PLAYOFFS DOWN 24, 17, AND IN THE SB ALSO COME FROM BEHIND..HE CAN THERE ARE VERY FEW BUT YES I GET YOUR POINT..

BUT NO WAY DAK SHOULD GET PAID LIKE THEM BECAUSE HE CANT OR HASNT SHOWN HE COULD DO THAT,..THATS THE TOUGH PART..I agree, Dak shouldn't be paid as much as Wilson or Mahomes. Just their mobility alone makes them much more dangerous. Also, the more you pay him, the less there is for the parts needed to help him.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How many on this board really believe that the Jets or Jaguars are really going to win another game this season? They will end up being 1,2 in the draft and the Jets will take Lawrence and the Jags will take Fields. Pretty simple. It is just the way it will be. The Jets only chance is probably New England at the end of the year and the Jags will literally be double digit underdogs in all their remaining games.

Sure either of them could win 1 more game and in the Jets maybe 2 but then strength of schedule would take places for ties and in the NFC least Dallas would lose those ties to both of them. Maybe the thread show be about an OT or LB or DT because QB ain't going to change.
Dear Sandy, we haven't posted a lot together but please refrain from reality shots in the future or we will have words.

I agree, the odds are really slim because they know they're going to see the same thing Brown saw with his fans in the last half of the season, cheers for the opposition and Burrows signs aplenty.

What I do not see is an impact player with that 3rd pick, should we remain there, although Trask's stock is rising fast after that win over GA, beyond the top two QB's and Lawrence is the name.

This is also a very thin draft so trade downs, especially with this brain trust, aren't as advisable and this team doesn't really lessen the impact of the draft with FA's. I do not consider them good in the draft but compared to FA, they're gangbusters.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think you're saying that management is so bad we need a legendary type of QB to overcome that.

Probably correct, but they dont see themselves that way. They think this unique advantage the team has by its structure is genius.
This is exactly what Coach is saying. Something I argued for years that this franchise is talent dependent.

I’m not sure unless we can surround him with not only elite talent on offense but a top 10 type defense it will matter with our dysfunctional organization which if we recall screwed up the best Cowboys team in franchise history.