The case for losing in KC serving the greater good

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
give up this is a losing effort..

no losing no tanking...never ever a good time to lose...
When did I mention trying to lose or tanking?

Just the opposite, you know how every pro golfer and tennis player gets better? They play better competition and I saw McEnroe say that losing to better players taught him how far he had yet to go. That's all I am saying here.

I think this is a good opportunity, if they play well but lose a close one, to build on that. I think that loss in TB was better than winning for this team. This team is the operative word because they play in the worst market in the country for the local media to spin because they are given added credibility by the owner seeking the spotlight.

Why do you think they stunk up that Broncos game? Prescott admitted it, they thought they were all that and could just show up against a lesser team. That was one lesson and this is not that. This is a measuring stick game to let the team know they still have work to do if they want to beat the good teams.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
The Cowboys are second in the league w/14 takeaways behind only the Buffalo Bills (15). Meanwhile, the Chiefs have 8. That will be the deciding factor in this match up.

Reactions: BAT

blueblood70

Reaction score

Just the opposite, you know how every pro golfer and tennis player gets better? They play better competition and I saw McEnroe say that losing to better players taught him how far he had yet to go. That's all I am saying here.

I think this is a good opportunity, if they play well but lose a close one, to build on that. I think that loss in TB was better than winning for this team. This team is the operative word because they play in the worst market in the country for the local media to spin because they are given added credibility by the owner seeking the spotlight.

Why do you think they stunk up that Broncos game? Prescott admitted it, they thought they were all that and could just show up against a lesser team. That was one lesson and this is not that. This is a measuring stick game to let the team know they still have work to do if they want to beat the good teams.

so they would take back the loss in a heartbeat..it wasn't looking forward and hoping for more lessons from losing..its a one off one time thing. Like these closed door meetings and other motivation techniques to get a team back on track.

if losing ugly is all thats necessary, what happened in 2019, we needed one more win and couldn't get it? that last 6 game failure from this team dak, zeke and many other all still here they never got that turned around..what happened to the ugly start to 2020 with dak and these same players?

come on man, while a loss you can be used as motivation but its all moot had they lost to ATL which more time's then not that does happen..they claim it was motivation but its not what they wanted , you learn more from a ugly win then an ugly loss..coerrectig mistakes is far easier after a win , a close call etc

that loss may have been what had them upset and extra motivated, my guess we do that to ATL regardless..

fact is that denver game was an anomaly and no matter what happened that week , it didn't help them win against atl..

the only thing to take from the denver loss is that it can happen if you dont come ready to play , happens to all teams..why did the rams and bucs lose 2 straight if all you need is loss to get you back on track.

thats Ludacris , so yes we all realize it was a lesson to the team that come up for every game or get beat..its why teams dont go undefeated as this happens to most teams. Its why SB champs tend to have sb hangover..hard to stay that up and motivated every game..

so get real that loss didn't determine our season, simply reminded the team they can be beat, we just won 6 in row and nearly beat TB game 1 to start undefeated..we were better then ATL would have beat atl regardless..

i doubt we win out so whats the point? so unless we win out all the way to sb win that denver loss was just a loss..if we lose to KC it means the denver game might have exposed us to point that would be 1-2 over 3

NEVER EVER GOOD..

in fact winning this chiefs game on the road would be statement game for the motivation we need not the ATL game..

Reactions: BAT

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We all have opinions on what would be good for the team depending on where some think the team actually is. I do not see this team at the top of the NFC heap, I think AZ, GB and maybe TB might be better and it will take a perfect effort against any in the playoffs.

I think losing to KC might be beneficial but not nearly as much as going 3-1 in the division and beating NO and AZ.

Just because I see this a little differently, looking at the long road, doesn't make me wrong or right. My first assumption is that the team is not going to run the table so what losses not only wouldn't hurt as much but might be beneficial? Losing to a better team like KC is better than losing to the LV.

Is this a different way of looking at this? Of course it is but I do that a lot so it's not out of the ordinary for me.

And let's get really crazy here. Let's say they lose a tight one in KC and end up in LA facing the Chiefs. You want them facing them having beaten them or barely lost to them on their field?

That's why I like the prove it factor of facing TB in the playoffs, the Cowboys know they let that one get away from them.

Mannix

Reaction score
100% NO....that makes no more sense then when I hear people say that the loss against so and so really isn't that bad because it was an AFC team....that one makes me want to put a screwdriver into my ear when I hear it. If we finish 12-5 with 2 AFC losses and Green Bay finishes 13-4 with 4 AFC losses, we are STILL GOING TO GREEN BAY to play......so stop with that nonsense!!!

CWR

Reaction score
We all have opinions on what would be good for the team depending on where some think the team actually is. I do not see this team at the top of the NFC heap, I think AZ, GB and maybe TB might be better and it will take a perfect effort against any in the playoffs.

I think losing to KC might be beneficial but not nearly as much as going 3-1 in the division and beating NO and AZ.

Just because I see this a little differently, looking at the long road, doesn't make me wrong or right. My first assumption is that the team is not going to run the table so what losses not only wouldn't hurt as much but might be beneficial? Losing to a better team like KC is better than losing to the LV.

Is this a different way of looking at this? Of course it is but I do that a lot so it's not out of the ordinary for me.

And let's get really crazy here. Let's say they lose a tight one in KC and end up in LA facing the Chiefs. You want them facing them having beaten them or barely lost to them on their field?

That's why I like the prove it factor of facing TB in the playoffs, the Cowboys know they let that one get away from them.

I'm pretty sure it makes you wrong. Lol
Just make a group apology. Tell everyone you were hungry and your blood sugar was low. Tell everyone you aren't the best person, but you will work to be better. We are all ready to forgive you. Everyone makes mistakes.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
100% NO....that makes no more sense then when I hear people say that the loss against so and so really isn't that bad because it was an AFC team....that one makes me want to put a screwdriver into my ear when I hear it. If we finish 12-5 with 2 AFC losses and Green Bay finishes 13-4 with 4 AFC losses, we are STILL GOING TO GREEN BAY to play......so stop with that nonsense!!!
No, I can't stop the nonsense, it is so.......me.

Mannix

Reaction score
No, I can't stop the nonsense, it is so.......me.
Haha.....the only part directed to you was my first two words in regard to a loss being good. The rest was something aside, that has been building up inside of me for years!

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

If we don't know by now what needs done...another loss will surely do it.:facepalm:

plasticman

Reaction score
The "greater good" around my house is a Cowboys victory.

Interestingly, my family's vote was unanimous.

Going forward, it creates a more harmonious atmosphere, shall we say?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The "greater good" around my house is a Cowboys victory.

Interestingly, my family's vote was unanimous.

Going forward, it creates a more harmonious atmosphere, shall we say?
Hey, that's not fair. I didn't get a chance to persuade your family.

shabazz

Reaction score
Haha.....the only part directed to you was my first two words in regard to a loss being good. The rest was something aside, that has been building up inside of me for years!

......don’t let it all come out at once

plasticman

Reaction score
Hey, that's not fair. I didn't get a chance to persuade your family.
Look on the bright side. You won't be there to experience the "accountability" aspect of a "questionable" decision.

Aw, who am I kidding? The only accountability aspect is my childish tantrum when the Cowboys lose. Typically, they just leave the house during the game and hope the Cowboys won when they return.

The Cowboys are the only reason I passed my Anger Management class with a D-.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Prescott made an interesting comment about why he thought they lost that Denver game and that challenge is with this team more than any other because the owner is going to boast about them announcing they have arrived. I agree with him that the Cowboys thought they could just show up.

That humbling experience at home brought a benefit in how they played the next week against a good offense trying to get on a roll. Now, they get another in KC. The Chiefs think they have solved their problems.

There is a fine line between confidence and swagger and the Cowboys were beginning to cross that line before they were embarrassed at home by a team the Eagles easily dealt with in Denver.

The Cowboys have a cushion in the East, although PHL and WFT don't look like they're giving up, and this would be an AFC lost and not count in the tie-breakers.

I know some never want to lose so this question isn't for them. For the greater good of the season, would losing this game serve a better purpose than winning it? Send the message they have more work to do.

I know some are hoping for homefield throughout and that is one slippery slope for such a young team. This very young team that put up that game at home against Denver and we've learned since then it was a very sloppy week of practice. Do we think that can't happen again.

Note: Those that have not lived in the Metroplex with that local media probably don't know what a struggle it is for those players to keep their heads about them. They are either headed for the dumpster or the Superbowl and when you are a young player, it is hard to stay level with all of that swirling around you and it is even worse now because they were really bad last season so the local media will make this more of a thing.

And to compound that, this owner will not dissuade them from going over the top should they win in KC. The mantra will be "if they can win in KC, they can win anywhere".

Parcells knew. That's why he used that "anointing oil" line when they went off the rails about Romo. He never used that in NY or NE.

The biggest lie these coaches and players tell us is that they don't pay attention to any of that. Of course they do, they're human. And they're a winner right now in what Aikman coined "a winner's town" and it concerns me they actually think they've won something before they actually win anything. There is no star that shines brighter than the Cowboys star when they are on a roll.

And I am not talking about a performance like they put up against Denver. A hard fought close loss might be more beneficial than a win with this team.

So, what do you think?

Dont blame it on the owner Dak. If you bought into it or you didnt keep that team in line thats your own leadership error.

shabazz

Reaction score
While driving my moms to the doctor, I thought about how it would be tough for Coach to gracefully bow out of this thread

While the 2 of us were driving, the song “Doin da Butt”, came on the radio. To have turned it off would have meant acknowledgement of the song and its implications, however listening to it in it’s duration was not a good option either.......ergo, sometimes these things just have to run their natural course