The case for losing in KC serving the greater good

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Prescott made an interesting comment about why he thought they lost that Denver game and that challenge is with this team more than any other because the owner is going to boast about them announcing they have arrived. I agree with him that the Cowboys thought they could just show up.

That humbling experience at home brought a benefit in how they played the next week against a good offense trying to get on a roll. Now, they get another in KC. The Chiefs think they have solved their problems.

There is a fine line between confidence and swagger and the Cowboys were beginning to cross that line before they were embarrassed at home by a team the Eagles easily dealt with in Denver.

The Cowboys have a cushion in the East, although PHL and WFT don't look like they're giving up, and this would be an AFC lost and not count in the tie-breakers.

I know some never want to lose so this question isn't for them. For the greater good of the season, would losing this game serve a better purpose than winning it? Send the message they have more work to do.

I know some are hoping for homefield throughout and that is one slippery slope for such a young team. This very young team that put up that game at home against Denver and we've learned since then it was a very sloppy week of practice. Do we think that can't happen again.

Note: Those that have not lived in the Metroplex with that local media probably don't know what a struggle it is for those players to keep their heads about them. They are either headed for the dumpster or the Superbowl and when you are a young player, it is hard to stay level with all of that swirling around you and it is even worse now because they were really bad last season so the local media will make this more of a thing.

And to compound that, this owner will not dissuade them from going over the top should they win in KC. The mantra will be "if they can win in KC, they can win anywhere".

Parcells knew. That's why he used that "anointing oil" line when they went off the rails about Romo. He never used that in NY or NE.

The biggest lie these coaches and players tell us is that they don't pay attention to any of that. Of course they do, they're human. And they're a winner right now in what Aikman coined "a winner's town" and it concerns me they actually think they've won something before they actually win anything. There is no star that shines brighter than the Cowboys star when they are on a roll.

And I am not talking about a performance like they put up against Denver. A hard fought close loss might be more beneficial than a win with this team.

So, what do you think?

Loso86

Reaction score
Prescott made an interesting comment about why he thought they lost that Denver game and that challenge is with this team more than any other because the owner is going to boast about them announcing they have arrived. I agree with him that the Cowboys thought they could just show up.

That humbling experience at home brought a benefit in how they played the next week against a good offense trying to get on a roll. Now, they get another in KC. The Chiefs think they have solved their problems.

There is a fine line between confidence and swagger and the Cowboys were beginning to cross that line before they were embarrassed at home by a team the Eagles easily dealt with in Denver.

The Cowboys have a cushion in the East, although PHL and WFT don't look like they're giving up, and this would be an AFC lost and not count in the tie-breakers.

I know some never want to lose so this question isn't for them. For the greater good of the season, would losing this game serve a better purpose than winning it? Send the message they have more work to do.

I know some are hoping for homefield throughout and that is one slippery slope for such a young team. This very young team that put up that game at home against Denver and we've learned since then it was a very sloppy week of practice. Do we think that can't happen again.

Note: Those that have not lived in the Metroplex with that local media probably don't know what a struggle it is for those players to keep their heads about them. They are either headed for the dumpster or the Superbowl and when you are a young player, it is hard to stay level with all of that swirling around you and it is even worse now because they were really bad last season so the local media will make this more of a thing.

And to compound that, this owner will not dissuade them from going over the top should they win in KC. The mantra will be "if they can win in KC, they can win anywhere".

Parcells knew. That's why he used that "anointing oil" line when they went off the rails about Romo. He never used that in NY or NE.

The biggest lie these coaches and players tell us is that they don't pay attention to any of that. Of course they do, they're human. And they're a winner right now in what Aikman coined "a winner's town" and it concerns me they actually think they've won something before they actually win anything. There is no star that shines brighter than the Cowboys star when they are on a roll.

And I am not talking about a performance like they put up against Denver. A hard fought close loss might be more beneficial than a win with this team.

So, what do you think?
Wait so your a fan who wants us to lose and fall back out off the NFC lead race, all for the " Greater Good".... lol man give me what your smoking

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
Dang it, way to early for such a thread. W/T/F? A loss shouldn't be in any player's mind. Same with us fans.

We'll give them a good kick in the arse, that's what'll happen. :D

In any other case next week will be long enough for this stuff. :facepalm:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Umm. I think not. I want a hard fought win in a hostile environment to build confidence. Losing a close one can have a very negative effect going forward.
Ya see, I disagree with this based on how they approached that Denver game. I am not sure this team plays it's best thinking it has already arrived.

I think losing that opener by such a close margin and knowing they could have won served a better purpose than a win.

This is not a playoff savvy team that confidence serves better than struggle.

blueblood70

Reaction score

So, what do you think?

what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:facepalm::omg::eek:

dude you need to check yourself into a rehab clinic and put down the damaging substances you must be using..

no way no how will any fan hope for loss to be a goal to motivate a team..seriously what fracking era did you grow up in?..thats flat insane. Seriously!! ugh

not one players, fan , coach, or team hope for a loss as a teaching moment..

you accept losses after they happen IF and big IF they serve as wake up call for a team but you do not EVER want to lose.if i could go back in time id replay the Denver game and win it..its nonsense to say hey look how we responded form the last loss and now want another one..no actually coach speak say they rather use bad win and ugly win as a teaching moment then bad loss..sorry man

seriously go get checked for concussion..

ther should be concussion protocol here and be benched until you prove you are ok to type..:muttley:

man this is way way way out there man..seriously..:thumbdown::popcorn:

Last edited:

John813

Reaction score
If the team needs a 2nd loss in 3 weeks to get them ready then they aren't in any shape a team that will have any postseason run.

I don't see a benefit in losing this game, close or blow out. They are facing a top dog team, and a win would do wonders for confidence. Now if arrogance brews that's on MM and the leaders on the team to squash.