The case for losing in KC serving the greater good

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
From one extreme to the next, huh?

We don't have to squash them, they still are a good team. We just have to win. Doesn't matter if it's 35-7 or 21-20 in OT.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I’ve always said the rest of the league should be ashamed some of them aren’t having anymore success running their franchises the right way but I’d rather compare ourselves to the franchises which are having more success.

Since our last championship all but 5 franchises have at least made a championship game . We are one of those 5 who haven’t . That’s not a group I want to be included with.
who cares... Falcons had 1 year of glory, made a super bowl, and slithered right back into the land of GARBAGE. Same with most of the teams you are referring to. Only a select few have had sustained success over the past 15 or so years... you know, the teams that have had Brees, Peyton, Big Ben, Brady.... and now those same teams have lost their savior and they are now slithering like the Falcons....lol

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Sports is full of superstitions. Some players go thru the same rituals every game. And or stay away from anything associated with losing or a loss. It’s always been part of sports.

I wear the same gear every game until we lose and then won’t wear it again rest of the year after a loss.
I guess the coach in me never let me believe anything other than we were better than our opponent... no matter what color socks we wore...lol

Diehardblues

Reaction score
who cares... Falcons had 1 year of glory, made a super bowl, and slithered right back into the land of GARBAGE. Same with most of the teams you are referring to. Only a select few have had sustained success over the past 15 or so years... you know, the teams that have had Brees, Peyton, Big Ben, Brady.... and now those same teams have lost their savior and they are now slithering like the Falcons....lol
I care . The fact we haven’t had one of those QB’s is only part of the problem . But yes, it all falls on Jethro just like he gets credit for bringing in Jimmy and giving him free will. He gets the blame for his selfish ways since.

The difference is there’s a protocol to follow which allows a better opportunity to finally reach those goals. And why 27 of 32 reached a higher plateau at least one season this era.

It does matter. It doesn’t guarantee success but it provides a greater opportunity . If Jethro’s way was looking upon as preferable then more would have followed.

And why he should be continually called out for it. It’s dysfunctional and embarrassing especially for a franchise which set the standard to follow.

Last edited:

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
Wait so your a fan who wants us to lose and fall back out off the NFC lead race, all for the " Greater Good".... lol man give me what your smoking
I aint smoking a brisket right now It is hippy lettuce time . Want some?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I guess the coach in me never let me believe anything other than we were better than our opponent... no matter what color socks we wore...lol
Surely being a coach you understand the psych that goes into sports. At least for men. I can’t speak for women sports.

And surely as a coach there were times you knew the opponent was better.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I care . The fact we haven’t had one of those QB’s is only part of the problem . But yes, it all falls on Jethro just like he gets credit for bringing in Jimmy and giving him free will. He gets the blame for his selfish ways since.

The difference is there’s a protocol to follow which allows a better opportunity to finally reach those goals. And why 27 of 32 reached a higher plateau at least got one season this era.

It does matter. It doesn’t guarantee success but it provides a greater opportunity . If Jethro’s way was looking upon as preferable then more would have followed.

And why he should be continually called out for it. It’s dysfunctional and embarrassing especially for a franchise which set the standard to follow.
I couldnt disagree more. It means a team like the falcons got ucky, had 1 good year, and have basically sucked for 20 years... avg to below avg most season... 1 lightning strike does not mean that is the way it gets done... it means you got lucky. Just like when the chargers got lucky , made the SB, got spanked by niners and disappeared.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Surely being a coach you understand the psych that goes into sports. At least for men. I can’t speak for women sports.

And surely as a coach there were times you knew the opponent was better.
sure there was, and I would tell my team.. they are better than we are, so we have to play perfect. The psyche is similar... confidence is confidence. Trust me, I had some seriously good players and they sat in the dugout and talked trash just like men... Most of the time I only heard about it a year r 2 later.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I couldnt disagree more. It means a team like the falcons got ucky, had 1 good year, and have basically sucked for 20 years... avg to below avg most season... 1 lightning strike does not mean that is the way it gets done... it means you got lucky. Just like when the chargers got lucky , made the SB, got spanked by niners and disappeared.
So, you don’t agree with the normal protocol of the NFL which has led to the success and bar to follow?

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
Most of my friends gave it up years ago. It’s still illegal here. No thanks
I moved to Idabel OK when I retired. It is legal with my License to purchase medical. Here I can have up to 6 ounces and 6 plants I quit for 35 years I prefer it over alcohol especially the really strong stuff they grow these days

ShortRound

Reaction score
Over thinking it. I want to go into KC and shut down that crowd and come away with a win by multiple scores. Call me old fashioned.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
sure there was, and I would tell my team.. they are better than we are, so we have to play perfect. The psyche is similar... confidence is confidence. Trust me, I had some seriously good players and they sat in the dugout and talked trash just like men... Most of the time I only heard about it a year r 2 later.
I’m also talking about rituals players take especially on a streak. Like wrapping their ankle the same. Putting on socks. What they eat before a game, etc.
If you’re winning you don’t change anything.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I moved to Idabel OK when I retired. It is legal with my License to purchase medical. Here I can have up to 6 ounces and 6 plants I quit for 35 years I prefer it over alcohol especially the really strong stuff they grow these days
I tried that strong stuff years ago when they first started producing it. No way. One or two bongs and you’re out. No fun.

I’m all about the health benefits now. Fine red wine is my choice.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I think this is another statement game like the Pats. Pats aren't a dynasty but always tough and know what they are doing. That was a great "feel good" win.

Chiefs may not be threatening like last 2 years, but still good, and a team that has been there done that with most of its players several years. This is a statement game that you belong with them.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
So, you don’t agree with the normal protocol of the NFL which has led to the success and bar to follow?
normal protocol? If everyone of us cooked a steak the exact same way, and we liked it, does that mean it is the best way to cook the steak? IM pretty
I’m also talking about rituals players take especially on a streak. Like wrapping their ankle the same. Putting on socks. What they eat before a game, etc.
If you’re winning you don’t change anything.
it doesnt bother me, but Im pretty sure you could find plenty of hall of famers that did no rituals and still kicked arse day after day after day.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I think this is another statement game like the Pats. Pats aren't a dynasty but always tough and know what they are doing. That was a great "feel good" win.

Chiefs may not be threatening like last 2 years, but still good, and a team that has been there done that with most of its players several years. This is a statement game that you belong with them.
or more like, you are better than them!

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Prescott made an interesting comment about why he thought they lost that Denver game and that challenge is with this team more than any other because the owner is going to boast about them announcing they have arrived. I agree with him that the Cowboys thought they could just show up.

That humbling experience at home brought a benefit in how they played the next week against a good offense trying to get on a roll. Now, they get another in KC. The Chiefs think they have solved their problems.

There is a fine line between confidence and swagger and the Cowboys were beginning to cross that line before they were embarrassed at home by a team the Eagles easily dealt with in Denver.

The Cowboys have a cushion in the East, although PHL and WFT don't look like they're giving up, and this would be an AFC lost and not count in the tie-breakers.

I know some never want to lose so this question isn't for them. For the greater good of the season, would losing this game serve a better purpose than winning it? Send the message they have more work to do.

I know some are hoping for homefield throughout and that is one slippery slope for such a young team. This very young team that put up that game at home against Denver and we've learned since then it was a very sloppy week of practice. Do we think that can't happen again.

Note: Those that have not lived in the Metroplex with that local media probably don't know what a struggle it is for those players to keep their heads about them. They are either headed for the dumpster or the Superbowl and when you are a young player, it is hard to stay level with all of that swirling around you and it is even worse now because they were really bad last season so the local media will make this more of a thing.

And to compound that, this owner will not dissuade them from going over the top should they win in KC. The mantra will be "if they can win in KC, they can win anywhere".

Parcells knew. That's why he used that "anointing oil" line when they went off the rails about Romo. He never used that in NY or NE.

The biggest lie these coaches and players tell us is that they don't pay attention to any of that. Of course they do, they're human. And they're a winner right now in what Aikman coined "a winner's town" and it concerns me they actually think they've won something before they actually win anything. There is no star that shines brighter than the Cowboys star when they are on a roll.

And I am not talking about a performance like they put up against Denver. A hard fought close loss might be more beneficial than a win with this team.

So, what do you think?
I think the wakeup call for them was against Denver. Now they have to prove that they are going to keep the pedal on the floor the rest of the season. If I was Jerry I would have the Denver game playing on a loop on the jumbotron for every practice for the rest of the year.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
I tried that strong stuff years ago when they first started producing it. No way. One or two bongs and you’re out. No fun.

I’m all about the health benefits now. Fine red wine is my choice.
The strain I buy energizes you no sleepy feeling 2 puffs is enough and I only use it at night time same rules as alcohol for me .Once I use there is no driving going to happen Makes my arthritis pain go away with no pain killers