The case for losing in KC serving the greater good

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
losing never helps.....if you need to lose to get motivated, there is bigger cultural issues. players should hate losing and that's motivation enough
I am not advocating losing on purpose, they should go all out to win. But if they come up short, that tells them how far they have to go.

What don't people get? Think that team that laid down for DEN isn't still this team? Why do you think they did that and if you think they learned their lesson, you have not learned yours from their history.

I'll tell you one way losing might help, if they were to lose out on homefield because this team needs to keep playing. Or have y'all not learned your lessons about this team having that the last two times? Yeah, right, this team is not that team. This franchise is that franchise until they prove they are not. Do you really think Wade Phillips told Romo to go on vacation and take Bobby and Jason with him?

This HC had a team with a 15-1 record go out in their first game.

You must always keep in mind this team has a GM like no other and he loves rewarding it forward.

Last edited:

Mannix

Reaction score
Then comes the fine line of confidence vs overconfidence and I've seen this franchise, not this team, show the latter when they owned homefield.

I have not yet seen proof that this team is not like those teams, except I did get a glimpse of that against DEN and they admitted they did not prepare well enough.

Confidence is like cumin in your chili, the right amount is perfection but too much and you have to start over.

Is the owner an enabler of overconfidence?
------Confidence is like cumin in your chili

Geez......family site!!! You of all people, should know better. :muttley:

Fmart322

Reaction score
Prescott made an interesting comment about why he thought they lost that Denver game and that challenge is with this team more than any other because the owner is going to boast about them announcing they have arrived. I agree with him that the Cowboys thought they could just show up.

That humbling experience at home brought a benefit in how they played the next week against a good offense trying to get on a roll. Now, they get another in KC. The Chiefs think they have solved their problems.

There is a fine line between confidence and swagger and the Cowboys were beginning to cross that line before they were embarrassed at home by a team the Eagles easily dealt with in Denver.

The Cowboys have a cushion in the East, although PHL and WFT don't look like they're giving up, and this would be an AFC lost and not count in the tie-breakers.

I know some never want to lose so this question isn't for them. For the greater good of the season, would losing this game serve a better purpose than winning it? Send the message they have more work to do.

I know some are hoping for homefield throughout and that is one slippery slope for such a young team. This very young team that put up that game at home against Denver and we've learned since then it was a very sloppy week of practice. Do we think that can't happen again.

Note: Those that have not lived in the Metroplex with that local media probably don't know what a struggle it is for those players to keep their heads about them. They are either headed for the dumpster or the Superbowl and when you are a young player, it is hard to stay level with all of that swirling around you and it is even worse now because they were really bad last season so the local media will make this more of a thing.

And to compound that, this owner will not dissuade them from going over the top should they win in KC. The mantra will be "if they can win in KC, they can win anywhere".

Parcells knew. That's why he used that "anointing oil" line when they went off the rails about Romo. He never used that in NY or NE.

The biggest lie these coaches and players tell us is that they don't pay attention to any of that. Of course they do, they're human. And they're a winner right now in what Aikman coined "a winner's town" and it concerns me they actually think they've won something before they actually win anything. There is no star that shines brighter than the Cowboys star when they are on a roll.

And I am not talking about a performance like they put up against Denver. A hard fought close loss might be more beneficial than a win with this team.

So, what do you think?
Losing 2 out of is never good.

CWR

Reaction score
I am not advocati8ng losing on purpose, they should go all out to win. But if they come up short, that tells them how far they have to go.

What don't people get? Think that team that laid down for DEN isn't still this team? Why do you think they did that and if you think they learned their lesson, you have not learned yours from their history.

I'll tell you one way losing might help, if they were to lose out on homefield because this team needs to keep playing. Or have y'all not learned your lessons about this team having that the last two times? Yeah, right, this team is not that team. This franchise is that franchise until they prove they are not. Do you really think Wade Phillips told Romo to go on vacation and take Bobby and Jason with him?

This HC had a team with a 15-1 record go out in their first game.

You must always keep in mind this team has a GM like no other and he loves rewarding it forward.

You keep saying this team, and ignoring how these are entirely different players and staff for the most part. Just because you put the star on doesn't mean you will follow in anyone's footsteps.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I think it would be beneficial if we lose out so that next year we are more humble.
Gy3PtMY.gif

Reactions: CWR

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Prescott made an interesting comment about why he thought they lost that Denver game and that challenge is with this team more than any other because the owner is going to boast about them announcing they have arrived. I agree with him that the Cowboys thought they could just show up.

That humbling experience at home brought a benefit in how they played the next week against a good offense trying to get on a roll. Now, they get another in KC. The Chiefs think they have solved their problems.

There is a fine line between confidence and swagger and the Cowboys were beginning to cross that line before they were embarrassed at home by a team the Eagles easily dealt with in Denver.

The Cowboys have a cushion in the East, although PHL and WFT don't look like they're giving up, and this would be an AFC lost and not count in the tie-breakers.

I know some never want to lose so this question isn't for them. For the greater good of the season, would losing this game serve a better purpose than winning it? Send the message they have more work to do.

I know some are hoping for homefield throughout and that is one slippery slope for such a young team. This very young team that put up that game at home against Denver and we've learned since then it was a very sloppy week of practice. Do we think that can't happen again.

Note: Those that have not lived in the Metroplex with that local media probably don't know what a struggle it is for those players to keep their heads about them. They are either headed for the dumpster or the Superbowl and when you are a young player, it is hard to stay level with all of that swirling around you and it is even worse now because they were really bad last season so the local media will make this more of a thing.

And to compound that, this owner will not dissuade them from going over the top should they win in KC. The mantra will be "if they can win in KC, they can win anywhere".

Parcells knew. That's why he used that "anointing oil" line when they went off the rails about Romo. He never used that in NY or NE.

The biggest lie these coaches and players tell us is that they don't pay attention to any of that. Of course they do, they're human. And they're a winner right now in what Aikman coined "a winner's town" and it concerns me they actually think they've won something before they actually win anything. There is no star that shines brighter than the Cowboys star when they are on a roll.

And I am not talking about a performance like they put up against Denver. A hard fought close loss might be more beneficial than a win with this team.

So, what do you think?
My sincerest apologies, but I'm not going through this entire thread to ask the basic question:
What was Pescott's "interesting comment"?

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
lower the THC levels on the next order OMG..:facepalm::popcorn:
What?!
You wrong bro.
You wrong.

Bang that stuff to the upper levels and let's unintentionally do something epically stupid!

#Team!!!

Reactions: CWR

75boyz

Reaction score
There is nothing that is good about losing ....if.....in a playoff hunt.

Yep, if looking for draft picks because ya suck losing is a good thing.

EXACTLY. The moral high grounders aka anti tank crowd were priceless last year.

Circumstances determine everything. Context is key.

jmo

Mannix

Reaction score
It’s not really a big game for the Cowboys beyond the hype. It has no tiebreaker implications within conference . One of the least meaningful games of the season.

We have a 4 game lead in division in loss column. No way without Dak going down is it even in jeopardy. The only importance is keeping pace for seeding. But that’s true for every game.

You people just don't get it....you act as if a loss to an AFC team doesn't count as one game in the loss column. ONE MORE TIME FOR SOME OF YOU....we go 12-5 and Green Bay goes 13-4, we go play a post season game in Green Bay.....doesn't matter if we only had 1 NFC loss and Green Bay had 3. Do you get it??? I hope by now you can understand the significance of a loss TO ANYONE. Sheeeesh!!!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My sincerest apologies, but I'm not going through this entire thread to ask the basic question:
What was Pescott's "interesting comment"?
That the team "might have been overconfident". Others mentioned a poor practice week leading up to the game.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You people just don't get it....you act as if a loss to an AFC team doesn't count as one game in the loss column. ONE MORE TIME FOR SOME OF YOU....we go 12-5 and Green Bay goes 13-4, we go play a post season game in Green Bay.....doesn't matter if we only had 1 NFC loss and Green Bay had 3. Do you get it??? I hope by now you can understand the significance of a loss TO ANYONE. Sheeeesh!!!
Again, do you think this team is going to run the table? If you do, then that's different than I am thinking because I do not think they will do that. All of the losses do not affect the playoff situation the same.

And I do not want the homefield throughout for this team.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You keep saying this team, and ignoring how these are entirely different players and staff for the most part. Just because you put the star on doesn't mean you will follow in anyone's footsteps.
Take a look at all those different teams that didn't advance beyond the division round over the last 25 years. 07 and 16 were different staffs when they had homefield then, what was the constant?

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
Are you admitting to trolling? Do you need more likes? I'd gladly give you some meaningless ones if you don't do stupid ship like this.

Win....that's is why we are here.

Anything else is unacceptable....even losing to learn how to win...is unacceptable.

If you don't know how to win NOW at this level.....then all is lost. We've already lost the ONE "lesson learned"...that SHOULD be enough for you shouldn't it? Now we need another one? To really make a point?

Stupid.
A like would be nice but I really do not need one

Diehardblues

Reaction score
these guys are on twitter now days they know what is said they read the comments. I think real competitors can over come that and I think in big game you need to play big you need to win period. Almost is not good enough. This franchise has dealt with almost long enough it is time for this team to stand up and take on a tough game and win it.
Following Twitter isn’t the same as reading the publications and watching media.

And on Twitter you choose who you follow as well . You can control what you see.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
What. We have said it still counts as a loss. But it holds no in conference or divisional tiebreakers . Maybe it’s you who can’t comprehend what we’re saying. AFC are the least important games we play as a result of these factors .

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Losing sucks. I've never felt that losing was a good thing in any way. If you do lose, you can choose to wallow in sorrow or you can choose to learn from it and get better. So the Cowboys lost to the Broncos, and lost badly, but if they've used that to learn and get better, all is not lost. That still doesn't make the loss a good thing.

So, no, losing to KC would most certainly NOT be a good thing. If that did happen, then they should certainly try to learn and grow from it, but that doesn't mean any fan should want that to happen.