The case for Mike Nolan

cowboyec

Reaction score
we had no real off-season.
didn't really have a chance to do a full install.
i think he gets re-shuffled.

cern

Reaction score
it makes little sense to take players who have excelled in a three point stance and try and force them to play a two point stance. advantage, o-linemen.

Sydla

Reaction score
But apart from Atlanta he's done a good job where ever he has been. When has Sherman played for him? Sherman is a hall of fame player in my opinion but has only played in a Tampa 2 type DEF

We are talking almost a decade since he was OK.

You can continue to defend him if you want or want him to get another chance but the market isn't often wrong. The fact this guy has been fired as much as he has and went years without a DC job after flaming out in Atlanta tells me and others all we need to know.

The rest of you will eventually catch up after he spits the bit in 2021.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score

You can continue to defend him if you want or want him to get another chance but the market isn't often wrong. The fact this guy has been fired as much as he has and went years without a DC job after flaming out in Atlanta tells me and others all we need to know.

And then we can hire the next DC and then blame him two years later and call for his job. And then the guy after him. Rinse and Repeat.

The defense hasnt been good in a decade, but yea lets keep blaming the DCs

Majic

Reaction score

I would just like him to be given a fair crack of the whip like Marinelli was. If no progress next year I would agree. Also Jaylon Smith is a factor here, the scheme has highlighted his lack of football instincts and has embarrassed the Joneses with the contract they gave him. Do they put the long-term planning of the team first or insist on a simplistic scheme to help the players in the short-term

cern

Reaction score
And then we can hire the next DC and then blame him two years later and call for his job. And then the guy after him. Rinse and Repeat.

The defense hasnt been good in a decade, but yea lets keep blaming the DCs
rob ryan, monte, marinelli. seems lousy dc's is a good place to start.

Wolfpack

Reaction score
The real problem is that you have a lunatic and his son actually making the decision of whether this is a talent or coach (or both) issue. If its a talent issue, who is to blame for that? You see where that leads you.....

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
rob ryan, monte, marinelli. seems lousy dc's is a good place to start.
Yea but McCarthy hand picked Nolan as opposed to the others being Jerry hires.

The truth is they have no idea on how to construct a good defense (or team for that matter)

Havent invested a high pick at safety in how long now, and continue to overlook the importanct of the NT position

erod

Reaction score
Nolan is a terrible defensive coordinator.

But he's McCarthy's best friend, so.....

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
The Cowboys need to make big changes on defense, but Mike Nolan isn’t one of them - Blogging The Boys

Lot of truth in this, apart form Atlanta (outlier) has statistically always had a top 15 DEF. The narrative that he has been terrible at every team he has been is not true.

Maybe not the best teacher.

Deserves another year in my opinion. I blame the players and their lack of football intelligence.
Nolan is as mediocre as they come. They can and should do better.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys need to make big changes on defense, but Mike Nolan isn’t one of them - Blogging The Boys

Lot of truth in this, apart form Atlanta (outlier) has statistically always had a top 15 DEF. The narrative that he has been terrible at every team he has been is not true.

Deserves another year in my opinion. I blame the players and their lack of football intelligence.
I don't care how good a coach you are, if you can't reach, communicate with or get your players to bust their butts for you, you need to be gone asap. I don't know if he's the problem of his assistants, that's where MM comes in.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Have no respect for any coach who lets a fat blob of Poe do nothing game after game.
Among other things.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Horrible Talent
Dumb Players
Cupcake Culture

The failure on the defensive side of the ball is directly on the front office

This defense was getting its boots smoked last year against Mitch Trubisky and Sam Darnold.
Marinelli cared more about his vanilla scheme than getting players that could diagnose a play.

jrumann59

Reaction score
The Scheme in the Rams game was the problem. The players did what they schemed for but the Rams knew they would slant and when and adjusted their play and blocking to compensate. What we have here is a failure of epic proportions. Players look lost, hell the formations dont look right.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

there are two different types of coaches. those who want to fit the players in their scheme, and those who take the player and fit a scheme to the talent they have.....Nolan wants players to do it his way and he doesn't know any other way. its notoriously complicated with players having to make a lot of reads prior to the snap and carry assignments according to their reads and when one or two player make the wrong read the whole thing falls apart. it takes years to master it, so in essence it would be a rebuild....instead, we needed some tweaking to turn this into a more dominant defense, turnovers, third down conversions were achilles heel for this defense.....instead he tried to make Lawrence a standup 3-4 OLB, same on the other side and it failed.....

you can't fit a square peg in a round hole and that's what he tried to do.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I don't want a top 15 defense, I want a top 5 defense!

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is the case for Mike Nolan.

p.jpeg

Lol.