The case for Mike Nolan

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Nolan has no idea what he's doing. Did you guys notice that Demarcus Lawrence didn't start against the Bengals? They started a base, which has Armstrong in and not Lawrence. Why is your best and highest paid player on defense not in on a base formation? I'm still trying to find out the logic behind that.

Nolan is straight awful.

Majic

Reaction score
Nolan has no idea what he's doing. Did you guys notice that Demarcus Lawrence didn't start against the Bengals? They started a base, which has Armstrong in and not Lawrence. Why is your best and highest paid player on defense not in on a base formation? I'm still trying to find out the logic behind that.

Nolan is straight awful.
He's playing the same amount of snaps roughly as last year averaging over 60%

Sydla

Reaction score
And then we can hire the next DC and then blame him two years later and call for his job. And then the guy after him. Rinse and Repeat.

The defense hasnt been good in a decade, but yea lets keep blaming the DCs

When you hire mediocre DCs and give them mediocre to bad talent, this is what you get - bad defense.

There is no question there is a talent issue on the defensive side of the ball. But why in the world would you want a mediocre DC being the one that helps rebuild the defense? That makes no sense to me. That's how you have a mediocre DC in Marinelli taking a guy like Charlton over Watt because of "fit" and scheme.

I am not sure why you guys keep trying to make this an either/or situation. If you think Mike Nolan will be a really, really good DC if you give him better players, have at it. I suspect you will be disappointed in the results.

Sydla

Reaction score
I would just like him to be given a fair crack of the whip like Marinelli was. If no progress next year I would agree. Also Jaylon Smith is a factor here, the scheme has highlighted his lack of football instincts and has embarrassed the Joneses with the contract they gave him. Do they put the long-term planning of the team first or insist on a simplistic scheme to help the players in the short-term

What we gave Marinelli (and Garrett at the end of the day) was more than a fair crack. We gave them too long a leash to the detriment of the franchise. Giving Nolan even just one more season is bad for the franchise. Admit the mistake. Rip off the band aid. Don't prolong the pain especially when you have a draft coming up where you will have double digit picks, mostly that could come on defense.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Did you watch the execution closely in the Browns and Ravens games? The LBs were taking themselves out of plays, that's on the coaching? You know what that was reminiscent of? The early days of the Flex with Landry. Getting his players to be where they were supposed to be and not follow their eyes and instincts too time. Do you think he and his secondary coach teach them to get caught flat footed looking in the backfield?

I was not on board with Nolan because of his spotty track record and not being a DC in his last two stops but with this D this year, name one DC that would have been better? Think they teach them not to use their arms when tackling?

There is one major underlying problem with this D and it needs to be addressed, it is a very slow defense. No coach can create speed but he can coach it.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Did you watch the execution closely in the Browns and Ravens games? The LBs were taking themselves out of plays, that's on the coaching? You know what that was reminiscent of? The early days of the Flex with Landry. Getting his players to be where they were supposed to be and not follow their eyes and instincts too time. Do you think he and his secondary coach teach them to get caught flat footed looking in the backfield?

I was not on board with Nolan because of his spotty track record and not being a DC in his last two stops but with this D this year, name one DC that would have been better? Think they teach them not to use their arms when tackling?

There is one major underlying problem with this D and it needs to be addressed, it is a very slow defense. No coach can create speed but he can coach it.
I would expect Nolan to install a serviceable scheme that the players can grasp much earlier than he did.

Majic

Reaction score
What we gave Marinelli (and Garrett at the end of the day) was more than a fair crack. We gave them too long a leash to the detriment of the franchise. Giving Nolan even just one more season is bad for the franchise. Admit the mistake. Rip off the band aid. Don't prolong the pain especially when you have a draft coming up where you will have double digit picks, mostly that could come on defense.
But if the alternative is the Marinelli simplistic scheme, I would rather stick with Nolan. Both him and MM must have discussed with the front office the limitations of such a scheme, I don't want to go back to that

Majic

Reaction score
The number of snaps isn't the point. If you don't have your highly paid, best player in on base? At the start? Why?

It's one series, if he gets his usual amount of snaps, it doesn't matter

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
It's one series, if he gets his usual amount of snaps, it doesn't matter
Right. Lets just keep all of our highly paid starters on the bench the first play of the game. Good idea.

Sydla

Reaction score
But if the alternative is the Marinelli simplistic scheme, I would rather stick with Nolan. Both him and MM must have discussed with the front office the limitations of such a scheme, I don't want to go back to that

But it's not the alternative. There is a wide range of defensive styles between the simplicity of Marinelli and the apparent complexity of Nolan. Why you guys keep making this bizarre point is weird to me.

FiveSuperBowls

Reaction score

blumayne38

Reaction score
It’s Nolan this team has done a lot better with a lot worse at LB.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
When you hire mediocre DCs and give them mediocre to bad talent, this is what you get - bad defense.

There is no question there is a talent issue on the defensive side of the ball. But why in the world would you want a mediocre DC being the one that helps rebuild the defense? That makes no sense to me. That's how you have a mediocre DC in Marinelli taking a guy like Charlton over Watt because of "fit" and scheme.

I am not sure why you guys keep trying to make this an either/or situation. If you think Mike Nolan will be a really, really good DC if you give him better players, have at it. I suspect you will be disappointed in the results.
Front office issue not coaching issue

Why on earth are they listening to the coaches over the scouts? Thats not how it should work

If you were in charge of the personnel, would you rely on a 70 yr old man that is passed his coaching prime to influence roster additions, or the scouts that you pay to evaluate the best talent in the college ranks?

These guys do not know what they are doing. Its why they rely on the input from the coach...

Verdict

Reaction score
I'm OK either way. Honestly, I don't know how you can give Nolan a fair evaluation. The defense has been bad forever. I think its the players, personally.

O would be interested in finding a guy like Patricia as DC, or an up and coming prodigy from one of the former great defenses (Ravens) to help us out, in some capacity.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I'm OK either way. Honestly, I don't know how you can give Nolan a fair evaluation. The defense has been bad forever. I think its the players, personally.

O would be interested in finding a guy like Patricia as DC, or an up and coming prodigy from one of the former great defenses (Ravens) to help us out, in some capacity.
By the decisions and changes he's made. If you don't put your best players on the field in basic formations you should be fired. The defense wasn't this bad last year. Specifically the front 7.

Majic

Reaction score
But it's not the alternative. There is a wide range of defensive styles between the simplicity of Marinelli and the apparent complexity of Nolan. Why you guys keep making this bizarre point is weird to me.

There is, but we have suspicions about what is coming next... a return to a vanilla defense that efficient offenses will be able to exploit

quickccc

Reaction score
Injuries cannot be avoided, and its not in a coaches control.
But it’s what was in Nolan’s control that was most concerning and disturbing; the positional coaches, the scheme, where players line up and positioned, discipline per run gap, tackling and coverage, scheming that fits the comfort mode of your players, especially your best players, getting in your players faces for attention details, and making your physical presence and energy felt on the sideline vs looking down in the coaches’ booth

- Many can talk about Nolan’s lack of offseason and time to prepare,…. but every NFL team was limited by pandemic and limited camp; including a handful of new DC’s with their new teams.

- Nolan’s defense was painted as one that promised bulk up the middle, mixture hybrid of 4-3.5-2 and other various alignments, press-jam coverage, DL standing up/hands down, DE’s dropping in zone and man coverage and an emphasis on pass rush and much more turnovers but what was seen was utter mass confusion, players being lost on all fronts, gaps and lanes not being maintained, blown coverage and assignments at the back end, rushers not knowing when to rush or when to drop in passing lanes. No pass rush/no turnovers ,players never felt comfortable or gained confidence in this defense from beginning to end.
Internal mutiny and locker room fallout persist, players vs coaches, players leaking their frustration to the media,.. that comes from losing faith and belief in your coaches,

- Maybe questions can be pointed at the talent level here but not to where it’s not only 32nd dead last in the entire NFL, ..but recorded as one of the very worst that has ever performed in history of the NFL, at one extent period or another. That is saying an awful lot and it's utter senseless and ridiculous.

- That’s why I cannot reflect upon end up with his recent defensive teams but we have react and make moves upon what we saw; Just like Marinelli did with the Bears, Nolan once boasted a top NFL defense with the Ravens, ..but it’s what have you done for me lately vs almost a decade ago. And this team that insist they are on a Win Now mode cannot afford to wait and see what next year beholds.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Was it 270 yards rushing against a RB with a chronic knee problem and another RB that is overweight and hasn't been heard from since?

The defense being trash is not a new concept. Thanks for telling em.

And what did they do last year when they met that Rams team? The defense had issues no doubt but we went from having issues to being the worst of all time. That's a big difference.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I would expect Nolan to install a serviceable scheme that the players can grasp much earlier than he did.

Man if Nolan had a history of a great defense I could get behind him and this team having a hard time grasping it....he ain't had a good defense since.....since Maranelli and Kiffin had one.....people have adapted to that outdated **** he's on. Nolan needs to be canned and I don't care for who just off principle alone. Even if it isn't his fault you can't keep the coach of the worst defense of all time.

Reactions: G2