The case for Mike Nolan

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Man if Nolan had a history of a great defense I could get behind him and this team having a hard time grasping it....he ain't had a good defense since.....since Maranelli and Kiffin had one.....people have adapted to that outdated **** he's on. Nolan needs to be canned and I don't care for who just off principle alone. Even if it isn't his fault you can't keep the coach of the worst defense of all time.
I was optimistic because allegedly, he and McCarthy spent a year studying. But how long can you blame the roster or COVID? I mean, he's made some big mistakes with regard to personal. I still have an issue NOT starting your best DE to start the game. In a base formation!

exciter

Reaction score
The Cowboys need to make big changes on defense, but Mike Nolan isn’t one of them - Blogging The Boys

Lot of truth in this, apart form Atlanta (outlier) has statistically always had a top 15 DEF. The narrative that he has been terrible at every team he has been is not true.

Maybe not the best teacher.

Deserves another year in my opinion. I blame the players and their lack of football intelligence.
Defense was historically bad, he doesn’t deserve another year as a professional coach much less another one here! Seriously, it couldn’t have been any worse if he’d spent the season as the team drunk stumbling around and puking in the locker room!

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
Historically bad defense! This is Mike Nolan and a few players fault. They should all be rooted out and sent packing.

FanSince71

Reaction score
Something that’s interesting to me is that Nolan was LB coach on the Saints defensive staff last season. This season the Saints D is touted as possibly the best defense in the league and, specifically, LB’s Davis and Alexander are largely praised.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
And what did they do last year when they met that Rams team? The defense had issues no doubt but we went from having issues to being the worst of all time. That's a big difference.
Not the same Rams team. They lost some OL to free agency and the rest to injury. They were decimated up front, and it showed.

Majic

Reaction score
Something that’s interesting to me is that Nolan was LB coach on the Saints defensive staff last season. This season the Saints D is touted as possibly the best defense in the league and, specifically, LB’s Davis and Alexander are largely praised.

Yes, these LBs he has coached in past seasons and are now setting the standard. Again this points to what exactly is he working with here?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
But if the alternative is the Marinelli simplistic scheme, I would rather stick with Nolan. Both him and MM must have discussed with the front office the limitations of such a scheme, I don't want to go back to that
I'm with you, don't want to go back to a simplistic scheme, but don't think Nolan is the guy to lead this group.

quickccc

Reaction score
I'm with you, don't want to go back to a simplistic scheme, but don't think Nolan is the guy to lead this group.

Frankly between a simplistic scheme vs a mass confusion one,.. i'd go with the simple plan every time.
I would much rather know what I am doing and suppose to do,.. to at least have a better chance at getting in position, .vs having no clue at all and totally lost in how and where
to get in position to even have a damn chance at making a play. o_O

Majic

Reaction score
Frankly between a simplistic scheme vs a mass confusion one,.. i'd go with the simple plan every time.
I would much rather know what I am doing and suppose to do,.. to at least have a better chance at getting in position, .vs having no clue at all and totally lost in how and where

For one season maybe, but the idea is that over time there should be improvement with the more complicated scheme, that's when you see the advantages

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I'll line it out plain and simple. Nolan's scheme is A-Typical. What does that mean? It means that few, if any, other teams run it. How does that effect us? You have to have unique personnel, specific skill sets at key positions in order to make it work. How does that translate? It means that a team that settles on Nolans brand of Defense will have to have whole sale changes to make it work and more importantly, will have to have whole sale changes when they get off of it. why is that important? Look at Nolan's history. Has he ever been anywhere for more then 3 years or so? What does that mean? It means that if you want Nolan, and this is really why this was a poor choice in my book, you have to accept the fact that you are going to have to invest in serious roster change to bring him in and, unless you can get somebody who runs a very similar system and is good at it, you are going to have to take those investments in personnel and **** can them in a few years because it's likely you will be changing schemes again and Nolan's personnel, won't work with a new scheme.

I really don't like the hire but hey, it's done now.

Last edited:

Praxit

Reaction score
....I got my money on ridding of Nolan and getting back a descent defense again. This guy took the ABC out of football, and made it Greek.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
You would like more of a slow transition, not throw the kitchen sink at these players. Any change, they are going to need an entire off-season to implement and expect some early growing pains.

Sydla

Reaction score
Front office issue not coaching issue

Why on earth are they listening to the coaches over the scouts? Thats not how it should work

If you were in charge of the personnel, would you rely on a 70 yr old man that is passed his coaching prime to influence roster additions, or the scouts that you pay to evaluate the best talent in the college ranks?

These guys do not know what they are doing. Its why they rely on the input from the coach...

Because front office personnel often listen to coaches and make sure they are scheme fits. It's not uncommon for front offices to draft players based on specific schemes. The reality is Marinelli didn't think Watt could work in our system and that's why he wasn't picked. So I am not sure why in the world we'd want a mediocre DC, with a specific scheme and talent fit that is required, to be part of the rebuild where scouts and the front office might be looking for players for that particular scheme.

No one is disputing that the front office has made some dumb decisions from draft picks to who to sign/re-sign. And no one disputes the talent is a problem on defense. But it's bizarre to me that you look at this defense, the situation and the future and think Nolan isn't an issue and that we should be fine letting him continue.

Sydla

Reaction score
There is, but we have suspicions about what is coming next... a return to a vanilla defense that efficient offenses will be able to exploit

Why would one assume that if they fire Nolan they'd just go back to a Marinelli vanilla type?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Why would one assume that if they fire Nolan they'd just go back to a Marinelli vanilla type?
I don't know why fans think its some either or with this defense.

This team is a chance to rebuild this defense in a offseason or two. I don't want new personnel for Nolan to screw up and I don't want personnel to fit his terrible scheme.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I was optimistic because allegedly, he and McCarthy spent a year studying. But how long can you blame the roster or COVID? I mean, he's made some big mistakes with regard to personal. I still have an issue NOT starting your best DE to start the game. In a base formation!
Yeah he don't get that injury excuse. The defense's issues aint' been injury related IMO.

Majic

Reaction score

To try and justify the contract they have given to Jaylon Smith. He won't be cut so the scheme has to be simplified. That's my guess what Jerry is thinking, a very short-term approach

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Guys.....

Think beyond next season. Nolan doesn't stick. He has never been with one team long. Look it up.

As coach:
Regardless of what your opinion is of Nolan, as a Coach, changes are really, really good that we are looking for his replacement in two more season, at best. Why would you invest in this guy if you know he is not long for the road? The only way he makes sense for a team is if you think that you already have the talent it would take to make his scheme work and if you think that you are close as a team. You have to be thinking that you can win a championship in a year or two because if not, you are starting over.

Do you guys think we have the personnel to fit his scheme? Do you guys think we have a team good enough to win in one or two years? You don't have time to draft guys and develop them with Nolan. You better have them or bring them in and I don't see our cap in position to sign a whole bunch of guys.

If you are going to move on, now is the time IMO. If not, you have him for two years and then you are starting over.