The case for Mike Nolan

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
Need to completely blow up the defensive side of the ball this year and we need to actually hit on our FAs this offseason. No depth and completely overrated talent here

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
There is no case to make for keeping Nolan. The defense has killed this team. Part of that is on the front office, but damn, the Cowboys OL was decimated by injuries and a late retirement and they still managed to compete.

Gaede

Reaction score
There is no case to make for keeping Nolan. The defense has killed this team. Part of that is on the front office, but damn, the Cowboys OL was decimated by injuries and a late retirement and they still managed to compete.

Yeah, all this about 'our defense has never been good' stuff is BS. We've never been world beaters, but we changed coaches and in a year gave up nearly 3 300 yd rushing games. This isn't just players. This is scheme, coaching, players, everything. There's no other way to explain the dramatic fall off from average to historically bad. Unless Byron is really the best player in the history of sports.

Sydla

Reaction score
To try and justify the contract they have given to Jaylon Smith. He won't be cut so the scheme has to be simplified. That's my guess what Jerry is thinking, a very short-term approach

Yeah I don't think Jerry Jones is going to hire a coach to install a dumbed down defense just because of Jaylon Smith. His issue isn't stupidity. He's just not very instinctive, which good LBs need, and I think he doesn't have the clear full mobility he had prior to his knee injury. He's also a spaz on the field running around like a chicken without a head most of the time. So I reject this notion that Jerry would hire a DC who has a vanilla scheme just because Jaylon Smith is too stupid to play in any other defense.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
This is the case for Mike Nolan.

p.jpeg
LMAO!!! Excellent my fellow Cowboy fan!!!!:laugh:

DuncanIso

Reaction score
The Cowboys need to make big changes on defense, but Mike Nolan isn’t one of them - Blogging The Boys

Lot of truth in this, apart form Atlanta (outlier) has statistically always had a top 15 DEF. The narrative that he has been terrible at every team he has been is not true.

Maybe not the best teacher.

Deserves another year in my opinion. I blame the players and their lack of football intelligence.

just how bad do you have to screw up your job before you get fired???

he was hired because he gave Big Mike the OC job at 49ers back in 2005.

EJK24

Reaction score
Yea but McCarthy hand picked Nolan as opposed to the others being Jerry hires.

The truth is they have no idea on how to construct a good defense (or team for that matter)

Havent invested a high pick at safety in how long now, and continue to overlook the importanct of the NT position

Couldn't have said it better myself. This is exactly how I see it.

jnday

Reaction score
It is the coaches responsibility to put players in the best position to make plays and make the most of their talents. Nolan seems to do just the opposite.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
The Cowboys need to make big changes on defense, but Mike Nolan isn’t one of them - Blogging The Boys

Lot of truth in this, apart form Atlanta (outlier) has statistically always had a top 15 DEF. The narrative that he has been terrible at every team he has been is not true.

Maybe not the best teacher.

Deserves another year in my opinion. I blame the players and their lack of football intelligence.
The case for Mike Nolan, who has never had a great defense in his career (see Marvin Lewis), is a travel case to get his Bull Crap defense out of Dallas..