The case for Pollard

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's got some skill for sure. But I think he'd break in half if we ever tried to put him in a full time role. And this offense needs a consistent grinder.

Zeke is a complete back and a beast. Pollard will never be able to do the things he does because he just doesn't have the body for it. Notice how the offense typically stalls when he's in for Zeke because he's not getting those 5 and 6 yd runs. He played great today, but let's not fool ourselves--game was over in the third quarter

Many longtime starting RBs have been similar size or smaller:

Pollard is 6-0, 212
Tony Dorsett: 5-11, 192
Marshall Faulk: 5-10, 212
Marcus Allen: 6-2, 212
OJ Simpson: 6-1, 210

DuncanIso

Reaction score

Pollard is 6-0, 212

Pollard is a 3rd down back.

Like Sherman was for Emmitt. A backup.

That's all he ever will be.

A back up scrub RB with some speed.

Gaede

Reaction score

Pollard is 6-0, 212
Sure. But I've seen him just crumble when tackled.

Zeke has an Emmitt-like ability to avoid damage, or at least minimize it, while still being physical and pushing the pile.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score

Pollard is 6-0, 212
Every RB on that list (except for Pollard) was a great college RB before entering the league and had proven to be able to carry the load for his team. Pollard hasn't carried the load since HS and some people here want to hand him the keys because Zeke only has 1100 yds and 12 TD's this year.

slick325

Reaction score
Every RB on that list (except for Pollard) was a great college RB before entering the league and had proven to be able to carry the load for his team. Pollard hasn't carried the load since HS and some people here want to hand him the keys because Zeke only has 1100 yds and 12 TD's this year.

You're absolutely correct regarding the backs listed. Everyone of them won the Heisman trophy except Faulk and he finished 2nd in 1992. That reinforces that they were all feature backs in college, thus leading you to believe they could do it in the pros.

My issue with the crowd so quick to anoint this kid is not his size. I don't think the majority of folks have issue with his size. It is the fact that he was never a featured back in college. Can he actually carry the load? His college coaches clearly didn't think so and he went to Memphis, not Ohio St. or some powerhouse. Solid program that didn't think he is a 20+ carry guy. That leaves me wondering. Never once had that thought about Zeke or the backs X listed. No one ever did.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pollard is a 3rd down back.

Like Sherman was for Emmitt. A backup.

That's all he ever will be.

A back up scrub RB with some speed.

The thing is there's nothing wrong with that. I think "Scrub" might be a little harsh...but...why not have this 1-2 combo...it's virtually by the book. Big bruising back that can run through over and by, block, catch for extended YAC. Then throw in Pollard in situationals. D, after getting pummeled by Zeke be like...dayum where'd he go.

I just cannot understand what people think is wrong with what he did versus Rams. Yes...the whole team did well and contributed, seemingly led by the tide of the offense.

quickccc

Reaction score
Aaron Jones was the lead back at UTEP, rushing for over 4K yards in his career, so he has shown that he can handle the load. Pollard was the change of pace back at Memphis and only had 104 rushing attempts in his entire career there. Pollard is what he is, which is a good back up running back. I happen to agree that they can get more creative in using him, but in no way should Zeke's role be reduced just to get Pollard more carries.

If UTEP had another good back to combine with Aaron Jones (who ironically the Cowboys worked out and had an interest in drafting in later rounds as reported) could he have been sharing duties as what Pollard was doing with Darrell Henderson ?

I saw it as a luxury that the Tigers took advantage of with Henderson/Pollard. And it’s funny how as much as Todd Gurley has been having with his knee issues, Darrell Henderson who was the starter over Pollard, doesn’t even tend to hit the field with the likes of Malcolm Brown subbing in for Gurley, and not Henderson.

SMU Mustangs had two great college backs in Eric Dickerson and Craig James two vastly highly regarded, highly recruited tailbacks, so why not have them share carries instead of throwing it all on one back ?

Zeke’s role doesn’t have to be reduced in order to take more advantage of what Pollard can give them team as an additional weapon.
He can continue to spell zeke for a breather as a runner in every 3rd series as what the team seems to prefer to do.

What else can easily be done is implement Pollard more as a receiver, implement him more as a gimmick guy -just as we see Tavon Austin is being used as. Jet-sweeps, bubble screens, motion- blocker (remember Noah Brown?) as well as designed isolation plays such as wheel routes vs LBs, etc.
It’s as far as the creativity and imagination of the OC can take him.

This is a way we can implement and place both Zeke and Pollard on the field at the same time, And this would have nothing to do with Pollard interfering with zeke’s role.

My only question with the RB sub-in why Zeke is tapping to come out as seen in the few red zone situations (of all situations to be subbed) as being seen.

quickccc

Reaction score
The better OCs in the league would have gotten this kid consistently involved from game 1. I watched the Eagles in one game alone scheme their RBs in space 1-on-1 vs a LB more than we've done with this kid all season. You can easily involve Pollard without affecting Zeke's 20-25 touches.

+1
Exactly.

And Pollard is another case where it shows that Kellen is still having his growing pains as an inexperienced OC.

quickccc

Reaction score
Polllard is the perfect complementary back to Zeke. He's like Lance Dunbar but talented and for real.

I look forward to three years of working him properly into the offense with the new coaching staff.

I don't see the comparisons.

Dunbar was a scat back. Pollard is not a scat back.
You see Pollard churning and running thru arm tackles for additional forwarding yards. You didn't see Dunbar busting thru tackles.
You see the power in Pollard's game - that's never been a trait of Dunbar.

StuckMojo

Reaction score
Some players peak in high school or college, maybe Pollard is finally starting to peak with his physical abilities.

I agree with others that he shouldn’t take away from Zeke’s touches but the staff could scheme and maximize his skill set in a role with Zeke. It could make the offense more dangerous in my opinion.

kskboys

Reaction score

Pollard is 6-0, 212
And there have been even more w/ similar build who were not able to carry the load due to size/build. So, going by percentages, he's unlikely to.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
From the start, I've liked this kid. Yesterday was the icing on the cake for me.

Pollard:
12 rushes for 131 yards

Elliot:
24 rushes for 117 yards

To me, the kid is just better than Elliot. Don't get me wrong. I think Elliot is a good back (not work the big contract though). But I think Pollard gives the dynamic of the "break-away" run as evident in his TD run yesterday. If that was Elliot, he goes down or is caught from behind.
He certainly benefited from the tenderizing Elliott put on the Rams D all game. The kid is a really good player, but I can't put him on the same level as Zeke.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
He certainly benefited from the tenderizing Elliott put on the Rams D all game. The kid is a really good player, but I can't put him on the same level as Zeke.
It's actually been factually disproven that running the ball "wears defenses down".
And it even shows in Zeke's performance himself. 4.6 yards per carry in first half, 4.0 Carrie's in the second half.
So Zeke didn't tenderize anything or make anything easier for Pollard, only difference is the skill position players around Pollard were worse than when Zeke was in.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
It's actually been factually disproven that running the ball "wears defenses down".
And it even shows in Zeke's performance himself. 4.6 yards per carry in first half, 4.0 Carrie's in the second half.
So Zeke didn't tenderize anything or make anything easier for Pollard, only difference is the skill position players around Pollard were worse than when Zeke was in.
The Rams defense must have tenderized Zeke. Early in the 4th quarter, Pollard had 3 consecutive carries for 6 yards, 3 yards and 33 yards. A fresh Zeke comes in and can only get 5 yards and 4 yards on consecutive carries.

Those runs weren’t the result of a tired defense. They were just great runs.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
The Rams defense must have tenderized Zeke. Early in the 4th quarter, Pollard had 3 consecutive carries for 6 yards, 3 yards and 33 yards. A fresh Zeke comes in and can only get 5 yards and 4 yards on consecutive carries.

Those runs weren’t the result of a tired defense. They were just great runs.

I get a lot of people WANT Zeke to be this elite back. I WANT IT TOO!
But before it was every excuse under the sun as to why Zeke wasn't efficient, and now that we have a back that has been efficient with his touches, they're going out of their way to margalilize that player.

I don't think Pollard is some world beater, although this is pretty damn impressive.

Two things that stuck out to me

1. Zeke ran angry. There are these games that stick out like the Eagles and Sunday where Zeke seems to take his play to another level. Why are these games so few and far between? When Zeke is at his best he is breaking tackles as he is not elusive or have speed to create separation. When Zeke isn't able to break those tackles all he has is vision, and he becomes a replacement level back at that point. When he does make three or four defenders bring him down he is an asset to the offense.

2. Our Oline dominated. There is a reason both backs were able to produce, and we were able to move the ball through the air despite Dak having accuracy issues on Sunday. He. Had. Time. We kicked their butt in the trenches.

The engine to the offense isn't Dak and it sure as hell isn't Zeke, it's the OL.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Pollard is 6-0, 212
Of course, all players were smaller when guys like Simpson and Dorsett played. And Landry put limits on Dorsett's workload. But I agree that we can't just make the blanket statement that Pollard's body wouldn't allow a big workload. We really don't know because he hasn't had that opportunity either in college or the NFL.