The case for starting Weeden, again

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I'm not saying it is Romo call alone, the type of injury he has really comes down to him being able to show mobility and to be able to make the throws. Players have played with this exact same injury. if Doctors feel there is no risk involved with it and Romo can go he should play.

What you said was, " I do think having starters playing gives you the best shot of winning." To a point. This is one game and not a very important one, in terms of what we have in front of us. On the surface, it sounds reasonable but in the context of the entire season, I don't agree. We need Tony for the last 6 games. We don't need him for Jax. IMO.

The more football Tony plays, the more toll it's going to take. What we are really talking about here is not 7 games. What we are hopefully talking about here is another 10 games. I'd rather rest him.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
What you said was, " I do think having starters playing gives you the best shot of winning." To a point. This is one game and not a very important one, in terms of what we have in front of us. On the surface, it sounds reasonable but in the context of the entire season, I don't agree. We need Tony for the last 6 games. We don't need him for Jax. IMO.

The more football Tony plays, the more toll it's going to take. What we are really talking about here is not 7 games. What we are hopefully talking about here is another 10 games. I'd rather rest him.

yes and we have some banged up players should Dallas sit them as well? The injury Romo has is the same one that Mark Stepknoski had and as a center he was taking direct shot every snap and yet played the season. If doctors feel there is a risk then he should sit but sitting him because well this game is not that important? BS 9-7 gets us into post season last year losing game can cost us. There were some game we should have won but failed and the end result out of the playoffs so telling me this one is not important? BS

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
yes and we have some banged up players should Dallas sit them as well? The injury Romo has is the same one that Mark Stepknoski had and as a center he was taking direct shot every snap and yet played the season. If doctors feel there is a risk then he should sit but sitting him because well this game is not that important? BS 9-7 gets us into post season last year losing game can cost us. There were some game we should have won but failed and the end result out of the playoffs so telling me this one is not important? BS

If any of them are as important to the success of the team as Romo is, going forward, then yes. In fact, this is the perfect time to do that if that's what is needed.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
If any of them are as important to the success of the team as Romo is, going forward, then yes. In fact, this is the perfect time to do that if that's what is needed.

It is the perfect time to go out there get to 7-3 and take the bye week. If team doctors feel Romo should not go, or coaches feel he is not moving well or throwing well then sit him if not then play him that is what players do and this injury has happened to others and they have been able to play. You get 16 games anything less than 10 wins and you are looking for help to make post season. I'm not going to sit here and underestimate Jacksonville and I hope like hell this team does not. You guys are acting like this is not a real game and it is, they gave Cinn a run for their money and beat the Browns they are capable and Dallas damn well better treat this game as such or they could drop this game.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
It is the perfect time to go out there get to 7-3 and take the bye week. If team doctors feel Romo should not go, or coaches feel he is not moving well or throwing well then sit him if not then play him that is what players do and this injury has happened to others and they have been able to play. You get 16 games anything less than 10 wins and you are looking for help to make post season. I'm not going to sit here and underestimate Jacksonville and I hope like hell this team does not. You guys are acting like this is not a real game and it is, they gave Cinn a run for their money and beat the Browns they are capable and Dallas damn well better treat this game as such or they could drop this game.

They are also the 3rd best team in the NFL at sacking the QB (3 sacks a game on average). We don't agree.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
They are also the 3rd best team in the NFL at sacking the QB. We don't agree.

Your right we don't agree. I don't believe in protecting players unless the medical staff feels otherwise. I'm not looking to risk Romo but once he is cleared and they feel he is good to go then like any player on this team he plays. Why not hold out McClain why risk him? I'm sure there are several players right now dealing with injuries some that can be nagging injuries all season long like the groin injuries but if the player can go they will that is what players do. To me this is not about Weeden, if Romo can't go then it falls to Weeden to get it done but I don't look at any game as some unimportant game especially for a team coming off back to back loses.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Your right we don't agree. I don't believe in protecting players unless the medical staff feels otherwise. I'm not looking to risk Romo but once he is cleared and they feel he is good to go then like any player on this team he plays. Why not hold out McClain why risk him? I'm sure there are several players right now dealing with injuries some that can be nagging injuries all season long like the groin injuries but if the player can go they will that is what players do. To me this is not about Weeden, if Romo can't go then it falls to Weeden to get it done but I don't look at any game as some unimportant game especially for a team coming off back to back loses.

Right, I understand your opinion. We don't agree and the comparison to, they almost beat Cincy, is not really anything that impressive IMO. Honest question, did you watch that game?

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
Dress Romo, start Weeden. If Romo starts, Weeden is our QB the rest of 2014.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Right, I understand your opinion. We don't agree and the comparison to, they almost beat Cincy, is not really anything that impressive IMO. Honest question, did you watch that game?

Watched bit of it luxury of Sunday ticket and I don’t think Cinn is some be all team, they are decent team same with Cleveland one Jags played close and Bortals had a pretty good game the other vs Cleveland they won. Unlike some I don’t take any game lightly, I don’t think you just show up and bam you win. You have a young hungry QB who is developing and gaining confidence I don’t want Dallas being one of those teams who looks back at the end of the season saying Damn had we won that game. I will repeat myself 1 more time, if they determine Romo can’t go then he shouldn’t but if he is ready to go then he plays.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
C'mon Gimme that's like comparing Mad Dog 20/20 to Crown Royal.....lol!!

I am not acqanted with either. I assume Mad Dog is the cheap brand and Crown Royal is the expensive brand. I tend to migrate to the middle ground being the common man that I am.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Watched bit of it luxury of Sunday ticket and I don’t think Cinn is some be all team, they are decent team same with Cleveland one Jags played close and Bortals had a pretty good game the other vs Cleveland they won. Unlike some I don’t take any game lightly, I don’t think you just show up and bam you win. You have a young hungry QB who is developing and gaining confidence I don’t want Dallas being one of those teams who looks back at the end of the season saying Damn had we won that game. I will repeat myself 1 more time, if they determine Romo can’t go then he shouldn’t but if he is ready to go then he plays.

Cincy is a 5-2-1 team. They have beaten Baltimore twice, and that's impressive but other then that, a bad Titans team, a bad Falcons team, Jax and got tied by a bad Carolina team. They got stomped by New England and Indy. In the Jags game, they were up comfortably until they started turning the ball over. A fumble and two INTs I think and no Giovani in that game and they still won by 10. I mean, it wasn't as impressive as people are making it out to be.

Doesnt' matter. The point here is that we don't agree. It is what it is. I think that Tony should be on the shelf no matter what the Doctors say and you believe that if he can go, he should go. We just don't agree.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Cincy is a 5-2-1 team. They have beaten Baltimore twice, and that's impressive but other then that, a bad Titans team, a bad Falcons team, Jax and got tied by a bad Carolina team. They got stomped by New England and Indy. In the Jags game, they were up comfortably until they started turning the ball over. A fumble and two INTs I think and no Giovani in that game and they still won by 10. I mean, it wasn't as impressive as people are making it out to be.

Doesnt' matter. The point here is that we don't agree. It is what it is. I think that Tony should be on the shelf no matter what the Doctors say and you believe that if he can go, he should go. We just don't agree.

Then sit him the rest of the year, hell why play him at all? after all he could be hurt.
If the injury does not put him at further risk I don't see the sense in sitting him. As you said we don't agree.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Then sit him the rest of the year, hell why play him at all? after all he could be hurt.
If the injury does not put him at further risk I don't see the sense in sitting him. As you said we don't agree.

OK, were done here.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score

Especially since he was cleared to go back in the skins game only to find out it was worse than they thought after the fact.
Makes e wonder how much these doctors know lol

TimHortons

TheXFactor
Reaction score
The thing that concerns me is the all or nothing approach by the Coaches and Jerry. I would not mind Tony being on the active list and starting Weeden to see how it goes. If the game is in doubt bring him in. It is ultimately a decision that everyone involved is going to collectively make. Dr's evaluation of possibility of further injury, Tony's comfort level, and Coaches assessment of winning the game without him. I just don't hear the position that he would be available but wouldn't play unless needed. It's all or nothing. I think that might not be the only option available. I would like to see them consider that option.

The thing is it would be tough for Tony to come off the bench in the middle of the game and just expect him to get the offense humming. If Romo were to come in the game, that would imply that the offense is struggling. So I think asking Romo to come off the bench and just throw him in the game would be risky. I think you've either got to start him or sit him, I don't think bringing him off the bench is a sound strategy. Who knows, maybe I'm wrong.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The thing is it would be tough for Tony to come off the bench in the middle of the game and just expect him to get the offense humming. If Romo were to come in the game, that would imply that the offense is struggling. So I think asking Romo to come off the bench and just throw him in the game would be risky. I think you've either got to start him or sit him, I don't think bringing him off the bench is a sound strategy. Who knows, maybe I'm wrong.

I agree. If England is anything like it normally is, this time of year, it's going to be cold and possibly damp. Wimbly is an open stadium so it's going to be a poor field as well, if it's raining. If you are going to make the decision to play Romo, I think you have to start him. I don't know that he will be effective if you bring him off the bench.

kycowboyfan

Reaction score

If the offense is struggling because the QB is not hitting open receivers. Like last week, then why would it be unreasonable to say bringing in a different QB would maybe jump start the offense. I have seen it happen many many times. Lets give him some credit he is professional quarterback. Starting first half or coming in second half it would reasonable to expect that his performance would be the same.