The case for starting Weeden, again

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
yes and we have some banged up players should Dallas sit them as well?

Romo is in a different leage than the others. Romo is the leader, the spark plug, the guy who hands the ball off and thow it.
Like comparing anvils to osages.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
I would start Weeden just to give Romo 2 more weeks of rest b/c the post-bye schedule is not easy. But activate him and make him the #2. if Weeden struggles badly...go with Romo.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Romo is in a different leage than the others. Romo is the leader, the spark plug, the guy who hands the ball off and thow it.
Like comparing anvils to osages.

Yes and he is a starting QB, I don't expect the Cowboys to expose him to greater risk and if they feel he can't go then he shouldn't. This is also the NFL and there are a lot of players who are banged up and will play this Sunday it is what they do it is why they make the money they do. Frankly if he can't go I would not play him be it Jacksonville or Philadelphia, would not matter one bit on the other hand if he is cleared to play and is able to move well and make the throws then he plays regardless of who we are playing.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Out of curiosity if Dallas was playing Philadelphia this weekend instead of Jacksonville would you play Romo?

phildadon86

Reaction score
Post like this make me proud. thank you ABQ.

I agree we have the best running game and OL in the game. But, Romo playing is a big difference, not just in the fact hes our starting QB, but if Weeden was starting, they would just stack the box knowing he cant complete a throw to save his life. Then what is our running game gonna do?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I agree we have the best running game and OL in the game. But, Romo playing is a big difference, not just in the fact hes our starting QB, but if Weeden was starting, they would just stack the box knowing he cant complete a throw to save his life. Then what is our running game gonna do?

4.2 yards a carry against the best run defense and a stacked box, in the NFL.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
If we would have won the Commander and Cardinal game I might be for it. This game is a must win. I can't believe I said that.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Out of curiosity if Dallas was playing Philadelphia this weekend instead of Jacksonville would you play Romo?

Nein!
It's still one game, all be it, a NFC east leader.
A win against the hapless Jags is not worth the entire season if Romo get hurt.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Nein!
It's still one game, all be it, a NFC east leader.
A win against the hapless Jags is not worth the entire season if Romo get hurt.

any player can be hurt at anytime, if he can't move around as he needs to and is not able to make all the throws then I don't want him out there. On the other hand if he is showing good mobility and he is showing he can make all the throws then he is well enough to play.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why not just cut Romo and start Weeden the rest of the way.

After all -- you called Romo a mediocre quarterback (among other things) just this week. Why not just send the old man packing and groom Weeden until we can get a draft pick.

:hammer:

Nicely done.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
1. First and poppermost of the toppermost is the fact that they is the jags.
They is not high-tier.
2. If the braintrust and fans be so concerned about Romo fully recovering, Romo need this week of recovery -- without playing in a game -- and next week into the bye.
3. It's just one game. Yes, ever game is important. But still, it is one game and Romo's health is paramount.
If we start Weeden we will know if last game was a anamoly or if he is really that bad. My guestimation is that Weeden is, in fact, a competent backup who just had a string of bad thows and it got worse and he lost all confidence and it all went to pieces for a classic meltdown.
I say gift him a chance. Peace need a chance, so give Weeden a one more chance.
4. Even if Romo starts and escape injury or further harm to his lombardis backictus disk, the pounding, the thowing and the 15-hour ride back to the United Stakes of America will take a toll. yes, romo is tough but he half a body of a 34-year-old, soon to be . . . um, 35 years old if mein math is correct.
5. Yes, Romo would love to play. In the words of that great coach, Jason Garrett, Garrett is a competitor. He love to play and then go home and count is money and grin. And even though Romo could extend his popularity in Britain and maybe get endorsements deals there for warm beer and from PotRoast Express in England, he only need a fan base here in the good old USA.
6. Weeden need this game. OK, there is not WE in Team, but once it would be good to save a player's career. We should do this for Weeden. Who know, he could flourish. He could play like he did against the ***skins. And if he get his confidence back, he could help in the playoff push.
7. Also, we should be bold enough to gamble on this game.
I half sent Jerra and Jason a game plan that I just know half impressed them. Without gifting too much away it involves Murray carrying the ball for 50 time and LOTS of confidence building passes to Witten and Beasley. Why? Beause Dez well be doubled and Williams will attract lot of attention. Also, exhort the special teams to step up big time and a few trick plays I learned in my youth including the Statue of Liberty, the Darrell Royal option and the Huddle to Receive the Kickoff and then Who Got the Ball? play.
8. I dont half an eighth reason but I do want to encourage you to get behind my plan for world domin . . . I mean my plan to get us a win in London, save Romo lots of hurt in the turf and to gift Weeden much needed confidence. If you agree, please send me money and fruit baskets and bowling shirts. If you disagree just send me hateful personal messages and skip the public venom.
https://encrypted-tbn1.***NOT-ALLOWED***/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRxu4SKJUNy99LvPK8cCiEta8ZIZt5j_M9_d2_u6srbCCp4gvBF

Give Romo the next two weeks off and lets get serious about a playoff run.

Yours in fellowships,
Gimme (I ain't scared and I don't run but I do hide sometime)

world-domination-pinky-and-the-brain.jpg

Ren

Reaction score
Look at Weeden's time with the Browns, last week was not an anomaly we don't need to throw away another game to answer whether or not he sucks

Doomsay

Reaction score
There is certainly an argument for not risking Romo, just because he can sort of perform for the first time in 2 weeks during a Thursday practice, doesn't mean that he can protect himself at game speed. He, more than any franchise QB in the league, seems vulnerable to the season ending hit. Tony would probably have a better chance of avoiding that hit after 4 weeks of healing vs. 2. It's not a trivial gamble IMO.